Feminism | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Feminism

[video=youtube;GpDnr2s9yxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDnr2s9yxQ[/video]

MERRY CHRISTMAS

My life is so hard because I HAVE to listen to Christmas songs even though I'm too cool for Christmas! Feminism!

She really is putting a lot into "All I Want for Christmas is You" that isnt there. Then doesn't go on to address the double standard of women v male singers; sexy v creepy. Supposedly she (as a speaker for the feminist movement) wants equality, but really she doesn't.

Boys want guns, girls want dolls, gold digger trope... well there are really people who want/are those things so I don't think it is too serious an offense to write a song about them. Especially considering the song Santa Baby is tongue in cheek. I think two of the requirements of feminism are the inability to understand peoples motives and to be devoid of a sense of humor.

Last edited:
Actually, [MENTION=1009]bamf[/MENTION] has cleverly articulated a very convincing argument as to why she's obviously not a feminist.

Actually, @bamf has cleverly articulated a very convincing argument as to why she's obviously not a feminist.

I saw his No True Scotsman defense. Problem (for him) is that she is one of the people that feminists point to when the feminist movement wishes to make a statement via the media. Feminist Frequency (I mean its right there in the name, right?) is often referred to by other politicaly liberal and sociological websites that I have subscribed to in the past and hailed as a shining example of well done feminism.

I think that in order for his 'statement' to even qualify as a No True Scotsman he would actually have to be putting forward his own sense of what a 'true' feminist is-- he hasn't even done that. It's like we're all just supposed to know exactly what he thinks a feminist is and then agree that she doesn't fit the criteria.

So what's the criteria?

Maybe she isn't addressing 'heavy' topics and I'm not claiming that she's anything but a media critic who focuses on pop culture-- but everything she is saying is perfectly adherent to feminism-- she's attacking the 'patriarchal' content of certain Christmas Carols. She's trying to convince her followers that they promote rape and female oppression and other patriarchal values. She isn't actually suggesting any alternatives, trying to identify potential compromises, or practicing even the slightest bit of diplomacy, but that doesn't really seem to be the point of feminism anyways.

Isn't that what feminists do? Maybe they do it in terms of more 'serious' topics, but I was under the impression that attacking the patriarchy (which is utterly entrenched in every single facet of modern society) is at the very core of feminist thought.

Last edited:
Lol. We've had this conversation before.

Reactions: acd
Lol. We've had this conversation before.

It's not so much a conversation as you sort of just posting snarky, meaningless comments without ever actually backing them up.
As far as I can tell, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Reactions: bamf
Considering that feminism is an ill-defined concept, there is really no point arguing the point. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in the same manner as trying to define what constitutes art. Of course people are going to disagree. One thinks it isn't definitive and the other considers it nonsense, but you both agree that it lacks any sort of meaningful point. It's not going to be constructive to argue semantics.

Reactions: subwayrider
I'm pretty sure I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus is definitely about the kid's dad

That was clutching at straws a bit :lol:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus is definitely about the kid's dad
I thought so too. Not to mention it looks like ahealthy relationship :D
That girl is a pervert with some imagination to boot :lol:

I don't know why I keep coming to this thread from time to time....

Btw in one of those earlier videos a lady has pointed out there are no women like Mozart or Jack, the Ripper. Oh well, ignorance is a bliss! :) Can't point out the Mozart-part (even though there are female music prodigies) but Ilse Koch, countess Bathory, Darya Saltykova come to my mind. I know there must be more.
I hate when either of the genders get singled out somehow. Seriously.... one cannot live without the other, imo. Maybe someone wants such a life but no, thanks, I love the variety. I think when one gets singled out the other one suffers the consequences too. Let kids be kids and play the way they want to. Oh my...

As to feminists: everyone can call themselves anything. There are nutters in every group possible. I can't say more because I'm an outsider, I don't follow the scene, I just know some people here and there.

I find this thread confusing and offensive by and large. okay.

feminism is about equality. period. no matter how it's been used or portrayed, that is at its core. I agree with some that a lot of feminists have lost their way and have created expectations that lead to greater inequality, but that shouldn't obscure the philsophy's origins or purpose.

feminism still has many battles to fight. most rapists get off scot-free. most tape survivors are made to feel responsible by our culture. there is still a wage gap. there are still multiple double standards for women. abortion and birth control are under attack. access to contraceptives is limited throughout the world.

feminism is also beneficial to men when done right! it can release men from the social prison of expectations of a limited strain of masculinity.

I'm ready to abandon the term if it means the goal of equality could be more readily secured. I wouldn't overestimate how many societal changes that are credited to feminism are more of inevitabilities of a post-industrial society, such as the move towards more androgyny for men and women. old gendered roles are obsolete, and so are the artificial gender norms that perpetuated them.

which is why the BS of women being more in touch with their emotions is so problematic and wrong. emotional intelligence is taught. I sure as hell wasn't taught it and fought my ass off to learn it in my teens and give my Fe function the strength it needed to help me grow into myself.

everyone should take a class on women's studies, even if you walk away in complete disagreement. there's so many things to understand about human nature that everyone should know. everything society tells us about social norms and roles is wrong. and freeing one's mind from that all is so incredible.

Reactions: Kgal
image.jpg

This is the idea of "male privilege" at it's core.

Reactions: acd
Thought this was appropriate:
image.jpg

Reactions: the
I thought this was appropriate

mfD37.png