Fe 101

Oh yeah, it was you that said "just like me" to everything. :D

Do you worry about the future often?

"How am I? Are you sure you want to know?"

That's my adult filtered response heh.

Oh yeah, it was you that said "just like me" to everything. :D

Do you worry about the future often?

I did not! Their math was flawed!

I do worry about the future. Within my family I'm called Scenario Girl. I make decisions solidly and with conviction, but the moments leading up to them are a whirl of every possible repercussion that could arise from them. I have two children at different stages of their lives. I frequently think about their individual futures as well as my own, and how my decisions as a mother might affect their futures. Is that Se? Or Fe? Please don't tell me its FeSe because that would be just gross.

I did not! Their math was flawed!

I do worry about the future. Within my family I'm called Scenario Girl. I make decisions solidly and with conviction, but the moments leading up to them are a whirl of every possible repercussion that could arise from them. I have two children at different stages of their lives. I frequently think about their individual futures as well as my own, and how my decisions as a mother might affect their futures. Is that Se? Or Fe? Please don't tell me its FeSe because that would be just gross.

Well concern for your family probably comes partly from Fe, I just mentioned it because Se is the "Que cera cera" function, "why worry about tomorrow when you have today to enjoy?". Being an N you're probably a bit more focused on future possibilities.

Well concern for your family probably comes partly from Fe, I just mentioned it because Se is the "Que cera cera" function, "why worry about tomorrow when you have today to enjoy?". Being an N you're probably a bit more focused on future possibilities.

Ah. You're right in that case. My Que cera cera function is decidedly impaired, though my husband employs it with abandon. I suspect I feel the need to balance him out more often than not. The closest I come to "Que cera cera" is "whatEVER" when I determine something/someone is a brick wall and move on in order not to waste time on a fruitless puzzle.

But surely we can't gauge all the functions by their pleasurable aspects alone?

"Que cera cera" = "what happens happens" right? I'm not to good with my latin (or what ever that is)

Close enough. "Whatever will be, will be." :)

Ah. You're right in that case. My Que cera cera function is decidedly impaired, though my husband employs it with abandon. I suspect I feel the need to balance him out more often than not. The closest I come to "Que cera cera" is "whatEVER" when I determine something/someone is a brick wall and move on in order not to waste time on a fruitless puzzle.

Well he must be typed correctly (he's ESFP right?) because that is his primary function (Se) and the main lens he probably sees the world through.

But surely we can't gauge all the functions by their pleasurable aspects alone?

Not sure what you mean by that?

Well he must be typed correctly (he's ESFP right?) because that is his primary function (Se) and the main lens he probably sees the world through.

Not sure what you mean by that?

Yup, he's an ESFP, and his easygoing optimism is one of the things that I adore about him, but in an emotional crisis (like when his dog became very ill) he went into denial, became almost catatonic and wept with gratitude that I took on all the research, vet visits, caretaking, necessary adjustments to our environment, etc.

I meant when you were describing what a snowboarder (for example) sees in the earlier thread, it implied a hyper-awareness of the world around them.

Se is being aware of the world around you through your senses, it takes in information and allows you to take action quickly (a snowboarder for example will be scanning the terrain, making sure every curve or obstacle in the hillside is adjusted for in the moment. It's about being completely in the moment and enjoying things for what they are rather than what they might mean, our could be, or have been in the past.
Now, I related to this function but not in the sense you presented it. When I worked in Manhattan and Los Angeles, I often had to commute at night, alone. I became hyper aware of my surroundings, could take in a ton of imformation and was braced to take action quickly. I would scan my vicinity intensely so that I could adjust my behavior in a moment.

Not for enjoyment, but for safety. See? Is that still Se?

Yes still very much Se, although in your example you're using Se for a specific reason/purpose whereas for SPs it's on almost all the time, it's just natural.

What I mean by "enjoying things" is that someone with Se as their first or second function (SPs) is more likely than other types to enjoy things as they are, they don't have as much need to worry about the deeper meaning or future consequences. This is both a blessing and a curse obviously.

I don't know how much this is related to Fe but I have something to say on social graces.
When I was living in NZ I had a hard time with it and now in Japan I don't. I think it has more to do with how multi cultural and individualistic the country is.
In Japan the social cues are understood by everyone and everybody seems to accept them as simply a social mechanic.
To be honest I kind of like it this way. It's clear what needs to be said.

That's interesting, a more introverted culture perhaps?

The flip side of this, Q, is when people say "Hi, how are you?" and a younger, less-filtered INFJ I know would proceed to tell that person exactly how they were. In minute detail. The blank look on the face of the askee was often followed by a rapid retreat for the exit.

Ahem. Now I just say... "I'm good."

:m032:

i do that too. or did that too. now i respond with 'good' and variants of 'good' and then point out the humor to the other person about how in other countries, they actually want to hear how you are doing (it's a typical european thing) but in america, we do not :p

Show me how to use a better Te and all will be good.

My Te is the only process I under-use. :<

Last edited:
...and then extravertedness bubbles out in freaky/crazy ways.

'E' Bubbles.... That sounds like a drug....or a sex act.

I=Introverted
E=Extroverted
N=iNtuition
S=Sensing
F=Feeling
T=Thinking
J=Judging
P=Perceiving

the i or the e following means in the trait acts in an introverted or extroverted way

Fe would refer to the ability to judge the feelings of those around you, whereas Fi would be judging the your own feelings. (You never see Ii, Ie, Ei, or Ee, obviously)