Fe 101 | INFJ Forum

Fe 101

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
Please teach me Fe. :D

Only if you teach us Se, its a fair trade.

...wait, what am I saying?!

I'll sign up for the Se lessons. As for Fe and Fi and all that other stuff you all talk about....unless you guys start posting the 101's I'm a fish out of water.

Unless you snowboard with your eye's closed you're probably allready pretty good at using Se! :thumb:

I think I did pretty well with the please, that's a good start eh?

Actually, I don't snowboard at all. Balance and coordination are not exactly my strong points. It's safer (and less painful) if I keep my feet glued to old terra firma.

Hehe I meant Indy.

Anyway back onto Fe, I do something which is really rude (maybe?) when people say "Hi, how are you?" I usually say "I'm good" but they are expecting me to ask back eh?

Extraverted Feeling

Extraverted feeling, the auxiliary deciding function, expresses a range of emotion and opinions of, for and about people. INFJs, like many other FJ types, find themselves caught between the desire to express their wealth of feelings and moral conclusions about the actions and attitudes of others, and the awareness of the consequences of unbridled candor. Some vent the attending emotions in private, to trusted allies. Such confidants are chosen with care, for INFJs are well aware of the treachery that can reside in the hearts of mortals. This particular combination of introverted intuition and extraverted feeling provides INFJs with the raw material from which perceptive counselors are shaped.
http://typelogic.com/infj.html

this is about as far as I can go

Hmmmm Yup, that definition sounds like my SOP. But every once in a while (like this morning to be exact) I lose that discretion and spill my Fe all over the one inciting it.

Which one of those infj varients would you type me as Quin?

Remind me again... describe for me this Fe of which you speak? Am I qualified to give lessons? Was this the thing Sumone and I were used as examples for in the Quinlantypology Theory thread?

And promote your Se a bit, so I can decide if I want to trade.

Hehe I meant Indy.

Anyway back onto Fe, I do something which is really rude (maybe?) when people say "Hi, how are you?" I usually say "I'm good" but they are expecting me to ask back eh?

The flip side of this, Q, is when people say "Hi, how are you?" and a younger, less-filtered INFJ I know would proceed to tell that person exactly how they were. In minute detail. The blank look on the face of the askee was often followed by a rapid retreat for the exit.

Ahem. Now I just say... "I'm good."

:m032:

I'm good is fine isn't it? Aren't you supposed to say "I'm good" and then ask them a question about their day?

Please teach me Fe. :D

Okay, here is a step by step guide for you...

1. Decide on a set of values.
2. Develop an unnatural fear of confrontation.
3. Take any slight to your values as a direct condemnation to your worth as a human being so you can go apeshit long enough to confront people and obsessively try to protect them from themselves.

3. Take any slight to your values as a direct condemnation to your worth as a human being so you can go apeshit long enough to confront people and obsessively try to protect them from themselves.

I think that the bolded statement should be it's own number.

my feelings are, if you ask the question, you'd better be prepared to stand there and receive the entire answer. don't ask "how are you" while walking away! Each situation is different, and it depends on the person. Some people have worked in "How are you" into a general greeting, and don't even want the "I'm good" or whatever. Some people do expect the returned question, and will stop to talk to you, or at least walk with you. You really just have to read the situation (good practice for Fe).

1. Go on killing spree
  2. Talk to family of victims
  3. Feel guilty
  4. ????
  5. Master Fe

I will use Fi before I will use Fe usually. Therefore when people ask me "How are you?" I answer with the blanket statement "Good, yourself?". If I am in a bad mood I usually respond with fine, and will stop their. I feel like an attention whore if I spill everything so I usually resist it. However, with good friends I will switch on the Fe, and be like "I'm [inset mood here], so let me tell you about my day. blah blah blah. How about yourself?". I think a big step with is responding in a warm way.

Oh, here's one that made sense:

The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedfeeling.html
Heck yeah, I can do that :becky: Piece o' cake. What part are you having trouble with?

Back to the "Hi, How are you?" thing, I personally don't find anything rude or lacking with you responding with an answer but not returning the question. Sometimes I'll say "Fine, how are you?" but not always. I honestly don't always want to extend some of these "light" conversations that crop up in life. I can be polite and friendly in my answer without committing myself to a conversation I know I'm not emotionally or mentally available to have sometimes.

If I don't particularly want to hear how someone is, it feels dishonest to ask, somehow.

Hmmmm Yup, that definition sounds like my SOP. But every once in a while (like this morning to be exact) I lose that discretion and spill my Fe all over the one inciting it.

Which one of those infj varients would you type me as Quin?

Hmm at a guess, probably the Fe Variant.

Remind me again... describe for me this Fe of which you speak? Am I qualified to give lessons? Was this the thing Sumone and I were used as examples for in the Quinlantypology Theory thread?

And promote your Se a bit, so I can decide if I want to trade.

Fe is connecting and considering others, it is one of the main sources of politeness, kindness, empathy and the reason INFJs want to save everyone. Yes this is the function that I considered was more obvious in you and Sumone as opposed to some other infjs.

Se is being aware of the world around you through your senses, it takes in information and allows you to take action quickly (a snowboarder for example will be scanning the terrain, making sure every curve or obstacle in the hillside is adjusted for in the moment. It's about being completely in the moment and enjoying things for what they are rather than what they might mean, our could be, or have been in the past.

The flip side of this, Q, is when people say "Hi, how are you?" and a younger, less-filtered INFJ I know would proceed to tell that person exactly how they were. In minute detail. The blank look on the face of the askee was often followed by a rapid retreat for the exit.

Ahem. Now I just say... "I'm good."

:m032:

Haha, I could never open up like that.

I'm good is fine isn't it? Aren't you supposed to say "I'm good" and then ask them a question about their day?

I don't really have a clue, this is why I like close friends as I can dispense with the formalities and they won't mind a bit.

That sounds scary, maybe I want the bubblegum Fe that the Fe Doms have?

Last edited:
Oh, here's one that made sense:

Heck yeah, I can do that :becky: Piece o' cake. What part are you having trouble with?

Hehe see, Fe Variant sound not too bad?

"Social Graces" -That's the one, I have no idea. :D

If I don't particularly want to hear how someone is, it feels dishonest to ask, somehow.

Yes! That is exactly how I feel, also I won't feel like making an effort if I know the person asking really could care less how I am.

Last edited:
Fe is connecting and considering others, it is one of the main sources of politeness, kindness, empathy and the reason INFJs want to save everyone. Yes this is the function that I considered was more obvious in you and Sumone as opposed to some other infjs.

Se is being aware of the world around you through your senses, it takes in information and allows you to take action quickly (a snowboarder for example will be scanning the terrain, making sure every curve or obstacle in the hillside is adjusted for in the moment. It's about being completely in the moment and enjoying things for what they are rather than what they might mean, our could be, or have been in the past.

Hmmm. I don't think I need your Se, hon. I seem to have an abundant supply of it myself, but it isn't used for recreation but more for safety/survival (hyper aware of all the other drivers around me on the highway and what they're doing, scanning crowds, gauging for a vibe, etc.). I think I developed it working/living in cities.

But I'm happy to share my Fe with you if you want some :hug: