Fate or Free Will | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Fate or Free Will

This confuses me, and seems endless. I think we have all free will, but whatever we decide to do was going to happen anyway. Not like it was planned by some other guy or force or anything, it's really hard to explain. For example, if you put your hand on the table and see a calculator and a pen nearby, you have the choice to grab either, you select one but then go for the other. Once you've grabbed it you could think 'hmm I was going to go for the other one but I changed my mind'.

:/

Fatalism: whether or not X happens now, Y will happen later
Determinism: because X is happening, Y has to happen. X is happening because Z happened. Z happened because Q happened. Q happened because Q happened...
Free will: whether or not X happens depends to some extent on a meaningful choice.

Compatibilism: Free will and determinism occur at the same time.
Incompatibilists: Free will and determinism cannot occur at the same time.
Libertarian (not the political philosophy): Incompatibilists who believe in free will but not determinism.
"Hard" determinism: Incompatibilists who believe in determinism but not free will.

I'm a hard determinist.

Maybe you have bad fate, maybe you are unlucky

But perhaps you want to walk down that road anyway, because it is yours to walk, and yours to lead- you will see it through

DECISIONS: it's fate if you do, and it's fate if you don't anyway
-