Everything happens for a reason | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Everything happens for a reason

I agree, yet disagree. I agree when some use the terms, crutch or coping mechanism, they mean to suggest that implication. It is a logical fallacy to assume that all mean this implication. Thus, in the context of your argument vs my statement, the judgement is yours, not mine.

Your argument in and of itself is also flawed or paradoxical. "...coping mechanism implies that the user... cannot cope without it" :S That is a confusing statement to me.

I do not imply that the user cannot cope without it, only that is the coping mechanism or crutch they've chosen to use to deal with it. Does it make them good or bad? Broken or healthy? Not in the least. At least not from my point of view.

I do not mean to appear to attack your character in my above arguments. If that is the way it is perceived, I assure you it was not my intention. I just enjoy the challenge of debate. :)

i am more inclined to believe that everything happens BECAUSE of a reason rather than FOR a reason, in the end i take responsibility for things that were not caused by me. so that part sucks.

life happens for a reason

life happens because of a reason

we might not know the reason, but that doesn't change the reason

reason

reason reason reason

Reactions: knight in battle
I thought it was usually people who believe in a deity which has complete control over the universe who say this. Their god/goddess causes all the shitty things that happen in life for a reason that is simply beyond our comprehension.

I think it would be difficult to explain destiny without such a being.

It could just mean that people do shitty things, and that is the reason why shitty things happen.

My dog gets struck by lightning = Nobodys reason. How can you say this happens for a reason and then clam up when I ask you who's reason it is?
why dont you make it your reason? 'dont get too attached to anything,' or something. you'd just let your self think that something happened for no reason? gain something from everything.

Last edited:
Looks like you all are trying to impose a rational mind set onto and irrational experience. "...for a reason" implies a supervising agent that is imposing REASON. the sentiment "....for a reason" makes more sense when a poetic tilt is taken. To do this and individual must have the ability to suspend their rational sense (that sense which keeps us from being hit by buses) and reflect on the meaning that could be perceived by having one's dog struck by lighting. (isn't "dog" just "god" spelled backwards?)

Everything just happens.

I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Because of cause and effect. Because of probalities. Because life can almost be known as a complex mathematical pattern of probablities.

I believe that we create our own reality. So eveything that happens to me and us is because we individually and collectively create our reality. Every thought, feeling, motivation and attitude is manifested into the physical world. Our external environment, our bodies and our lives reflect the created manifestation of our inner worlds. The unconsious is made consious and tangible so that we can percieve and learn. Through this process of externalisation and creation, we can observe, experience, understand and learn. All our actions have a consequence. i do not see that is spiritual or metaphysical. It seems logical and rational.

And then it comes down to how self aware you are. How well you know and understand yourself. And how much ownership and responsibility you are prepared to take over your own life and experience.

Things dont just happen. We are not victims or actors in someone else play, whether it be a divine entity, some sort of computerised program or random glitch. This is our fucking play. Our show. We are the writers, the directors and the actors. Everything has a reason because we made it so. Everything comes from somewhere. This is the nature of 'nature'. Just because we dont necessarilly percieve or comprehend the 'pattern' or the correlations, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Anyone can learn to know themselves and see their own pattern if they desire to and make the effort.

'Why' is the question. Why do we do anything? Why are we alive?

I guess on one hand the question of why is intensly personal and individualistic. Only you can know the nature of your own purpose. What do you want out of life? Out of yourself? What have you learned and experienced? What do you think of your journey? Where do you want to go? Where are you? What do you want? Who are you?

In a more general context, I think the 'why' is simply to live and learn. To ask 'why'. To wonder. To learn. To be. To create. To experience. To experiment and see whats possible. To Love, communicate and connect. To evolve. I see it like a live simulation, a live feed straight from the unconcious, from our minds- instantly created and materialised into the physical. An opportunity to learn the power and consequences of creation, and the effects of our thoughts, feelings and actions. To learn cause and effect.

I think life can become extraordinarily simple, beautiful and enjoyable if we live in the present moment. When we learn how to let go of our ego, our anxieties and worries and learn to just be. Life becomes tremendously joyous. And then we find ourselves living for the sake of life alone. In that infinite present, everything becomes clear and possible.

One of my favourite quotes is- 'The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit' --Nelson Henderson.
While I still love that quote and consider it important, my feelings have somewhat changed. I think the meaning if life is life, the meaning is to 'be'.

I think there are three resons for saying this

1. They believe in a deity or something which has a plan. This plan involves it all turning out alright in the end but requires a few sacrifices along the way.

2. It sounds like the sort of thing you're supposed to agree with. I suspect this is the most common reason

3. It is used to help them see the good in a bad situation

I suppose it's possible that number 1 is true but I see no good reason to truly believe that it is.

Anyone for who number 2 is the reason can throw themselves in front of a bus for all I care.

Number 3? Nice one

7132012011038iwsmt.jpeg

Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes things happen when you are stupid and make bad decisions. "Everything happens for a reason" can be a great excuse for those moments. :lalala:

Last edited:
--==One would have to understand the universe from the beginning of time to truly understand how an event came to be.==--

Expanding on that idea:

The hard core science part of it can be broken down in to particle physics. - This molecule moved because another smashed in to it. - There is your reason.
The universe is almost infinitly more complicated than that, but, I think, looking at extreme examples sometimes makes things a little more clear.
You can logically break down any situation into absolute reason or a tangible reason. The choice is yours.

--==One would have to understand the universe from the beginning of time to truly understand how an event came to be.==--

Expanding on that idea:

The hard core science part of it can be broken down in to particle physics. - This molecule moved because another smashed in to it. - There is your reason.
The universe is almost infinitly more complicated than that, but, I think, looking at extreme examples sometimes makes things a little more clear.
You can logically break down any situation into absolute reason or a tangible reason. The choice is yours.

The opposite could also be true. You can never come to any absolute or tangible reason because it is impossible for you to know every single detail that went into a reason that has molecular origins. It would be impossible for most humans to know every single detail involved in a particular happening, though I'm sure sometimes we are convinced we have looked at every possible angle. :)

I just basically applied for my dream job.. and besides jumping at the opportunity and then preparing for the interview and being on top of all that...doing everything in my power to gain the chance at an offer..
I am still praying and hoping that they offer it to me..

I just basically applied for my dream job.. and besides jumping at the opportunity and then preparing for the interview and being on top of all that...doing everything in my power to gain the chance at an offer..
I am still praying and hoping that they offer it to me..

You could instead do nothing and when you get the job it will prove that it was meant to be!

You could instead do nothing and when you get the job it will prove that it was meant to be!
I sent a thank you card via post.

When I say I applied, I mean I called the manager directly earlier on this week, and asked him for an interview... and had it today.

Last edited: