Tin Man

"a respectable amount of screaming"
Jun 21, 2012
Right behind you...
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
N
When I first came to this site I expected to see numerous threads about emotional intelligence. I thought that since the INTJ forum is obsessed with IQ, the INFJ would be the same with EQ but found this wasn't so. I created this thread to find out more on INFJs thoughts on the matter and have a few questions.

1. Do you know and/or care about your EQ?
2. If you have a high EQ, do you take pride in that?
3. Which do you think is more important: IQ or EQ?

Reactions: Radiantshadow
1. I care about my EQ as much as I care about my IQ, pretty much not at all... At least if we're talking about the system of defining intelligence in relation to a number.
I know my capabilities and I know how to use them, and I try to make the best of what I have. The relation of my intelligence to other people's doesn't really matter.

2. "Pride", no not really. Though I believe my EQ to be well-functioning and that is one of my strenghts which creates the person I am, someone I am happy to be.

3. None, really... A weak form of any is as "crippling" as the other, just in different ways.
My experience tells me though that people with higher EQ than IQ are less "IN YO FACE" about it, as some of the mainly IQ-oriented persons I've met have been. Probably because it is an intelligence that gets highlighted more frequently, it is the intelligence most highly valued in school systems, and etc... plus, someone with low EQ will probably not reflect as much on how it makes me feel when they're acting all tall and mighty because their math grades are much better than mine P:

i do not believe in emotional intelligence. in my opinion it's emotional maturity.
i don't spend any time thinking about my emotional aptitude, however i do pay attention to my emotions because i want them to be effective and purposeful.
the same goes for intelligence. i don't spend time thinking about my IQ but i do pay attention to my thinking and reasoning skills because i rely on them to get my grades in school.

I don't believe emotion nor intelligence can be watered down into a number, determinable by a pen and paper test.

1. I could care less about it.
2. I don't have a high EQ. I believe mine is under 20 points. It's never been very high but people still tend to like me so I don't think it matters.
3. I don't personally give much weight to either. I think having skills to handle different personalities and also having logical / rational thinking abilities is more imperative. I don't think any tests out there can accurately measure either of this since there will always be innate factors and outliers that will wane the results. The statistics do not measure the IQ or EQ, they measure how accurate the system is in creating the innate design... but of course, the mistake is that the design itself is not actually formidable against testing and measuring inaccuracies.

From the studies I've read, IQ and EQ scores tend to have a high positive correlation with each other, which suggests they're unified by a mechanism somewhere along the line. A study I read last week, actually, found that gifted folks typically exhibit comparable emotional nuances. This is not surprising to me since IQ scores attempt to determine one's intelligence by measuring their ability to manipulate abstraction, also known as g. The distinctions between IQ, intelligence, and g are important because they are separate constructs: the first is a measurement, the second is the purpose of the measurement (social connotations aside), and the third is the mechanism on which the measurement attempts to operate. The first two are, I believe, skewed images of the third. Using an ocular analogy, g is the lens and IQ/EQ are different wavelengths of light filtered through it to form an image of the reality swirling around us. One data stream is impersonal and universal (IQ), another is personal/meaningful and dynamic (EQ). They are different manifestations of the same thing; at the basest level, patterns are picked up and stored by the brain, where they are combined and recombined to construct perceptual webs in a manner similar to how genes are translated and altered to produce useful biology.

My neuroscience professor provided an interesting bit of data near the beginning of the school year: IQ is related to the density of certain cortical gyri (I don't remember which). In a literal sense, size matters ^.^ Since brain development is mostly genetic through the production of proteins and neurons, it's quite possible that IQ follows suit, which twin studies have been suggesting for decades. On the flip side, EQ scores may also be partly inborn. An essential part of the score is emotional empathy, the ability to connect with and understand others. My knowledge of it is incomplete, but the MAOA gene produces an enzyme attributed to deliberation, displays of empathy, and self-control. Popularized as the "warrior gene", monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) is an enzyme produced by the MAOA gene that influences one's willingness to interact with and care for other people. Deficiencies of this enzyme incite aggression and impulsive behavior in mice and humans when under stress, and are found in the vast majority of American criminals, particularly sociopaths, who are trademarked by a lack of empathy. There is also the matter of the limbic system, which processes emotion. I cannot recall all of the neural pathways, but the cingulate cortex in particular is responsible for creating and processesing emotions, as well as learning and memory (in tandem with the hippocampus); collectively, it's responsible for associating actions, such as hugging, to positive emotional rewards, like the release of oxytocin and dopamine to produce and reinforce feelings of happiness. Another example would be the act of smiling, which is a prosocial cue learned by the firing of mirror neurons in the brain that tell us to imitate the behavioral information it receives from other people. Since neurons are cells, they are created by proteins scripted by DNA. This further suggests that the ability to relate to others ("if they're doing it, I should do it too because I'm one of them") and display empathy is partially genetic and partially acquired. We have the hardware, it just needs to be used.

Now that I think about it, and provided that it could be verified, I'd love to do a longitudinal study of all the personality types' brain activity as they go about their lives and mature. It would be interesting to see if any patterns of dendritic growth to particular spheres occur as a function of personality.

Humility disclaimer: I'm still a student and have not parsed through all the information on either IQ or EQ. If I'm wrong about something, please state why and provide relevant correction materials, if available. Learning is fun.

Now to answer the OP's actual questions.

1) Do you know and/or care about your EQ?

No, and I would not care for the number if I did. I'd want to understand how the mechanism works and how it affects my behavior in order to improve myself. Numbers are arbitrary; motion is not.

2) If you have a high EQ, do you take pride in that?

Not applicable, but, again, the numbers don't mean anything to me. They are statistics and prone to change across space, time, and thought/methodology.

3) Do you think IQ or EQ is more important?

I think they're equally important for healthy functionality and should be integrated. While I believe they are fundamentally similar, their expression differs. They use different kinds of data to perform different tasks, therefore, one cannot be evaluted in terms of the other and each is needed to fulfill particular needs.

Last edited:
I'd actually never heard of EQ before reading this thread. I find it hard to believe that such a thing could be measured.

Reactions: Radiantshadow
i believe i have a pretty high EQ
i read a book once about EQ, and how it can matter more than your IQ

IQ-wise, i'm pretty high

EQ-wise, in my younger times, i don't think i had control at that time...
i've had a hard past and so many obstacles to overcome,
but, because of those difficulties, i've become a lot stronger as a person
and my EQ is always maturing...

I too have never heard of EQ before this thread. I clicked on this half expecting to read a nostalgic thread about EverQuest :p

- I used to think it was very important and believed I had fairly high EQ until I learned more about it and realized EQ is not just emotional awareness. It's way more than that. It involves emotional control, management, and responsiveness to others when handling someone else's emotions. Once I realized this, I understood that developing EQ is more a lifelong journey than a destination. You become more aware of your emotions as you get older, as you go through various situations figure out who you are, what you can handle, and how to deal with other people's emotions in relation to yours. That's not always easy. So, it's the learning process I care about, and not so much whether I have a high EQ.

- See above.

- Both can matter depending on circumstances and path in life. It's all quite easy to say IQ doesn't matter but it does quite a bit, especially for someone who's been in grad school for a while, where ability to handle various course material and assignments is not always so simply determined by how hard you work but how quickly you grasp the material which is often based on cognitive ability.
- And of course in today's work EQ matters quite a but since our world is very people oriented more than task oriented in many ways. Many positions which were only technical have a service/client based component and if you're not able to relate to others, and handle your self and/or someone else's emotional expression appropriately, especially in social and professional situations, you can lose out on opportunities. Look at social networking. The whole concept is based on creating social connections by relating to people on some emotional level about what they "like" and care about. So, whether I think it's important has little to do with anything, since the world will judge your EQ anyway, and use it to decide your fitness for a job or opportunity.

Reactions: muir
When I first came to this site I expected to see numerous threads about emotional intelligence. I thought that since the INTJ forum is obsessed with IQ, the INFJ would be the same with EQ but found this wasn't so. I created this thread to find out more on INFJs thoughts on the matter and have a few questions.

1. Do you know and/or care about your EQ? Yes I care a lot about it. Until recently it was very poorly developed. But now that I'm getting older I'm learning how to talk about stuff. And tell people how I feel. Going through tough times myself brought me down to earth and now I feel like I understand the motivations of others a bit more. There are still things I don't understand. But I'm getting used to it.
2. If you have a high EQ, do you take pride in that? I think I have a high EQ. I'm aware of other peoples emotions. How they feel towards other people in my circle. How they feel about me. I'm highly aware of social dynamics. Who likes who, why people act the way they do, etc.. My high EQ makes me an Introvert at times. I absorb shit from people and sometimes I need a break from that. Yes just lately I've been starting to take pride in my EQ and focusing on improving it.
3. Which do you think is more important: IQ or EQ? EQ

I agree with what @Maven said.

Outside of the whole issue of how intelligence or emotional intelligence are supposed to be measured; just when you boil it down to and keep it to what they are in concept--they ideally address a person's ability to deal with the world.

I think it's kind of sad though whenever someone thinks it's a good idea to bring up in conversation with others how he or she supposedly has a high IQ (or EQ). Because what immediately runs through everyone's minds is, "Well fuck you, prove it." Whenever people blatantly speak well of themselves with others in an uncalled for fashion, it makes them look like a douchebag/moron...which ironically in this case suggests low EQ and likely low IQ as well. It's basically just a less vulgar version of telling people you think your penis is big (except it's kind of more vulgar in a way because it's just the exact same principle being applied to something that is considered more prestigious in society such as (emotional) intelligence.) It's like someone wanting you to shake their hand encased in a velvet glove but they present you with a velvet glove with a piece of shit in it instead of a hand but you have to shake it anyway because the velvet glove is socially acceptable and partially mutes the aroma of the shit. Sorry, I'm really digressing now... this is a different topic altogether. But if anyone out there does understand me, I love you.