Enneagram type 9 | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Enneagram type 9

We 9s are slow... ;)

I like my slow nine-ness, though.

Durrr...what....?.... *ten thousand light bulbs go off and neurons collaborate in a complex web* ohhh my mind is blown.

Bahaha Liesl you rock my socks :]

We nines like our peace; just go with the flow, man.

When I imagine a transcended nine, I always imagine them as a pure light radiating warmth and peace. They don't have to be saying anything, they can be just standing there doing absolutely anything, just being.

Hey, you know what I like about 9s? How accepting they are of circumstances, no matter how bad things are.

Possibly my favorite thing ever.

Reactions: Liesl
When I imagine a transcended nine, I always imagine them as a pure light radiating warmth and peace. They don't have to be saying anything, they can be just standing there doing absolutely anything, just being.

And that's one of the most beautiful things in the world.

Being an unhealthy nine is pretty miserable though.

Could you describe this please? Aside from the fact that I sometimes consider I might be a 9w8 (or even a 1w9), I have a definite 9 in my life who I dearly love, and would very much like to understand her better.

/spits drink out of mouth in alarm.

Yeah.. I'm definitely not transcended.

Reactions: grt$5vb

Could you describe this please? Aside from the fact that I sometimes consider I might be a 9w8 (or even a 1w9), I have a definite 9 in my life who I dearly love, and would very much like to understand her better.

Pretty much just extreme lethargy with a lot of internal anger against the external world.

Not at anyone in particular? Also, I've read that Enenagram 9s move toward 6 when unhealthy. Does that take the form of anxiety, perhaps the inverse of the 'loyalist trusting authority' effect of 6?

It's generalized internal anger until somebody triggers it, who will ultimately take the hit. I don't know about other 9's but I've never had problems with anxiety beyond a slight under current of it.

Not at anyone in particular? Also, I've read that Enenagram 9s move toward 6 when unhealthy. Does that take the form of anxiety, perhaps the inverse of the 'loyalist trusting authority' effect of 6?
I've known a 9w8 for a few years and watched her go through tough times. She doesn't seem like a 6 when she's stressed. She just avoids doing anything all day. I'm not sure I buy into the integration/disintegration model. Seems to me at this time that as an individual evolves, they take on aspects of all the types. And as an individual devolves, their battle with their primary fixation becomes more evident.

Reactions: melatonin
I've known a 9w8 for a few years and watched her go through tough times. She doesn't seem like a 6 when she's stressed. She just avoids doing anything all day. I'm not sure I buy into the integration/disintegration model. Seems to me at this time that as an individual evolves, they take on aspects of all the types. And as an individual devolves, their battle with their primary fixation becomes more evident.

That makes more sense than a lot of stuff I've heard/read about Enneagram. Go Ne!

I think it depends on the 9, too. Me, I *do* get anxious if things aren't working out right. I absolutely descend to 6. But it's not automatic; it's a slide. Remember, the Enneagram has levels of healthy and unhealthy, and not all will be recognizable. In fact, I daresay that there's a lot of overlap:

DevLevels1.gif

Level Descriptions:

Levels of Development Chart

Healthy
1 Level of Liberation: Ego Transcended — Balance & Freedom
2 Level of Psychological Capacity: Ego is Identified with as the basis of a Particular Mode of Being
3 Level of Social Gift: Ego Operating in a Constructive Way, Successfully Sublimating

Average
4 Level of Fixation: Losing Contact with Presence and Awareness, the Beginning of “Sleep” — as Ego-Role assumed
5 Level of Interpersonal Conflict: Ego Controlling Environment to get its needs met — Manipulative & Defended
6 Level of Overcompensation: Ego Inflation, Aggressive defense of Ego-Identity. Demanding that others/reality support the ego-agenda

Unhealthy
7 Level of Violation: Ego willing to violate self and others to maintain itself. Abusive, Devaluing, Desperate (Serious pathology arises)
8 Level of Delusion and Compulsion: Ego-self out of Control and Out of Touch with Reality (Major Personality Disorders)
9 Level of Pathological Destructiveness: Extreme Pathology or death (Psychosis)

Link: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/DevelopmentLevels.asp

So a 9 descending to 6 will have qualities of both, but an average or unhealthy 9 will have a LOT of 6-ish qualities (while still retaining 9-ness).