Electronic music

jdftx

Community Member
Nov 16, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6 sp/so/sx
Who here is into listening to/producing/experimenting with electronic music instruments or on computers, etc..??

Who here is into listening to/producing/experimenting with electronic music instruments or on computers, etc..??

I am. It used to be a huge part of my life for many years. Now I mostly do the listening.

You?

I am. It used to be a huge part of my life for many years. Now I mostly do the listening.

You?

Trying to get into producing. I've been picking up Reason 4 and Ableton, making my own synths, etc.. It's pretty fun. I've only really gotten into electronic music in the last 3 years or so. Definitely an electro house/Drum and Bass/IDM/Glitch fan.

Trying to get into producing. I've been picking up Reason 4 and Ableton, making my own synths, etc.. It's pretty fun. I've only really gotten into electronic music in the last 3 years or so. Definitely an electro house/Drum and Bass/IDM/Glitch fan.

Nice. Ableton and Reason are my main tools. Lately I have started using Cubase a little bit because i bought a recorder (Zoom R16) that works well with it.

Nice. Ableton and Reason are my main tools. Lately I have started using Cubase a little bit because i bought a recorder (Zoom R16) that works well with it.

You'll have to teach me a thing or 2! I've also been looking at Cubase but haven't really had the chance to give it a good evaluation. And I googled your recorder, cool stuff! I'm thinking about picking myself up a monome or jazz mutant lemur on the cheap, if I can find one :p

I don't know how to produce it or make it, but I would very much like to learn how to make my own electronic music. I just don't have time for it right now at this point in my life). The entire task seems far too daunting right now.

Nevertheless, I listen to a lot of electronic music. It is the core of what I listen to. If you are curious, here is a link to my last.fm page, and I am sure you will reconize some of the bands I listen Too: http://www.last.fm/user/DiffusionOfTimehttp://www.last.fm/DiffusionOfTime

You'll have to teach me a thing or 2! I've also been looking at Cubase but haven't really had the chance to give it a good evaluation. And I googled your recorder, cool stuff! I'm thinking about picking myself up a monome or jazz mutant lemur on the cheap, if I can find one :p

Just PM me or something whenever you got questions and I will try to answer them.

I have been listening to electronic music since I was first introduced to it in the mid-70s. That said, my interest in it has been really fueled by the use of the first affordable analog synths and sampling by artists in what came to be known as the post-punk and/or new wave movement, as well as the underground scene that developed in the UK in the very late 80s, early 90s, that came of age and birthed many of the styles we know today.

As a listener I tend to love idm, ambient techno, dub, new wave, synthpop, ambient, darkwave, drill 'n' bass, dubstep, electro, electro funk, acid, illbient, and minimal techno.

I also enjoy listening to, but wouldn't say I love, the following: acid house, detroit techno, drum 'n' bass, french house, glitch, goa, industrial, microhouse, neurofunk, nu electro, and nu skool breaks.

I have done engineering, programming, and production with electronic tools, and sound design and audio processing are two things I love very much.

I use gear from the following makers: Allen & Heath, Analogman, Apple, Barge Concepts, Boss, Clavia, Cyndustries, Diamond, Digidesign, E-mu, Electro-Harmonix, Elektron, Empress, Encore, Ernie Ball, Eventide, Foxrox, Geoffrey Teese, Heet Sound, Hughes & Kettner, JoMoX, Korg, Kurzweil, Lexicon, Line6, Loooper, Lovetone, Moog, MOTU, Music Man, Peavey, Peterson, ProphecySound, Red Witch, Roland, Schippmann, Simmons, Sony, Symetrix, t.c. electronic, Waldorf, Yamaha, and zvex.

I love analog drum machines, the sound of 2" @15ips, 8-bit multiplexed sampling with no interpolation and variable clock, vco-driven analog monosyths with fast envelopes and portamento, algorithmic reverberation, modular synthesis, germanium overdrive, analog string machines with ensemble, bbd delays, tape delays, tight clocks, formant-preserving diatonic pitch-shifting, step-sequencing, 6- and 8-op frequency modulation synthesis, my ebow, polyphonic physical modeling, hands-on parametric control, resonant multimode analog filtering, wavetable synthesis, ribbon mics, power valve overdrive, and tasty analog pedals.

cheers,
Ian

I looooovvee electronic music.

Does anywhere here like the Midnight Juggernauts?

"G-L-O-R-I-A"?!

Reason, a MOTU 828, and a Radium 49 MIDI keyboard = good times in the sound studio.

But seriously, Reason alone is kinda amazing. One of my favorite programs that I've had the joy of being able to work with.

Guessable, I'm willing to bet, but that's a big yes on electronic music as well, though usually moreso when I'm working.

Ooh! Ooh! I do, I do! <raises hand>

Although I haven't made anything musical in a while...

Reason is definitely cool, but I don't like how it mixes down. I used to pipe Reason through Cubase to get a better sounding mix. And be able to do all kinds of fun things with plug-ins, maybe bounce a part or two down as separate audio files in Cubase so I could mess with them in that way... good times!

Heh, aeon, I can't believe you're bringing up the term "illbient." I once tried to coin the phrase "shazambient." :D

Heh, aeon, I can't believe you're bringing up the term "illbient." I once tried to coin the phrase "shazambient." :D

If it is good enough for Ishkur's taxonomy, then it is good enough for me. :wink:

cheers,
Ian

And if you want a quick and fun online music environment, check this out:

Hobnox Audiotool