Effect of music on relationships . . . | INFJ Forum

Effect of music on relationships . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Can music have a significant effect on a relationship, improving personal relationships significantly, or harming it's development?

So, I was thinking about this today, wondering about the effect of musical preferences or tastes on couples in their relationships?

My question is,

How do you use music in your relationship? Does it have a positive or negative effect?

Do you have any other thoughts about the effect of music on relationships?

I can't really see any direct effects that music has on a relationship, only indirect effects. It can put one, or both, partners in a more relaxed, positive mood. You could probably say this about other similar things too like movies or literature. A strong interest by both parties in music (especially of the same kind) could also be a bonding type of thing.

I think your question though is asking about more direct effects though, and I just don't see any.

It irritates me when the people around me never let me listen to what I want, but other than that, I don't think there's a huge impact on relationships...

I wouldn't have met my missus if it weren't for music. Whilst we don't have exactly the same taste, it's pretty close, and there have been 7 years of shared awesome rock concerts. Long Live Rock N Roll.

I wouldn't have met my missus if it weren't for music. Whilst we don't have exactly the same taste, it's pretty close, and there have been 7 years of shared awesome rock concerts. Long Live Rock N Roll.

Very cool.

Music has such a powerful effect on me it isn't even funny. For me, I could easily see it effecting relationships with other people I know, simply by viture of music altering my mood.

I have yet to meet someone else in real life who has the same musical prefrences as me, but I would venture to guess if I did meet that person, we would get along famously.

I think I'd agree with QP on this one.

I've never observed any direct effects music has had on my personal relationships. It definitely gives me a way to bond with people. I wouldn't have met a lot of my friends if it weren't for band class in high school and then being in a band. Music is also a way my mom and I bond. I'll learn her favorite songs on guitar and then we'll play/sing them together (assuming I'm home visiting and we're in a goofy mood).
I definitely see music as a bonding experience and a means to create/solidify relationships, but for me, my relationships would stay intact without music.

Hm, well maybe indirectly.

Music for me can very powerfully change my moods. If I've just been in a heated argument (doesn't happen much) I can listen to some type of soothing music like classical for example, and quite quickly, can become more open to talking things through instead of seething over it. It does that much. I do believe that music can have an effect on the vibes in the air, if that makes sense. I don't know about anyone else, but I feel extremely romantic when listening to romantic music...if I was sitting next to my significant other and a song about love popped on on the radio, there is definitely a bigger chance that I'll really want to smooch them.

So in a sense, I think that the music is changing the moods of the people listening to it, thus in turn changing the outcome of the relationship, possibly.

So in a sense, I think that the music is changing the moods of the people listening to it, thus in turn changing the outcome of the relationship, possibly.

Yep, i think this is how it can affect a relationship, if not directly, indirectly.

Generally, it so happens that my partner and I will usually end up having similar musical tastes or interest in the same bands. I did once date a guy who was really into House and Electronica, a genre I absolutely cannot stand, but other than the fact that he and I would sometimes squabble over what to play on the car stereo, I can't say it drove any sort of wedge between us (other than the fact I routinely made fun of him for listening to Craaawwwwwlliiiing innnnnn myyyyy skiinnnnnnn..... too :p)

Then again, that relationship was also my shortest...

I think it would only become an issue for me if the person wrapped their entire persona around the genre of music they listened to. The scene kids, the metal-junkies, the 'gangsters' etc. Personally, I don't think it should be a problem for adult relationships (then again, it might...) but I think it would be definitely irksome for someone in middle school or high school or whenever you're still doing that whole "what link in the popularity food chain are you?" thing.

Other than that, I really don't mind what's on my beau's playlist as long as he doesn't care what's on mine.

Generally, it so happens that my partner and I will usually end up having similar musical tastes or interest in the same bands. I did once date a guy who was really into House and Electronica, a genre I absolutely cannot stand, but other than the fact that he and I would sometimes squabble over what to play on the car stereo, I can't say it drove any sort of wedge between us (other than the fact I routinely made fun of him for listening to Craaawwwwwlliiiing innnnnn myyyyy skiinnnnnnn..... too :p)

Then again, that relationship was also my shortest...

I think it would only become an issue for me if the person wrapped their entire persona around the genre of music they listened to. The scene kids, the metal-junkies, the 'gangsters' etc. Personally, I don't think it should be a problem for adult relationships (then again, it might...) but I think it would be definitely irksome for someone in middle school or high school or whenever you're still doing that whole "what link in the popularity food chain are you?" thing.

Other than that, I really don't mind what's on my beau's playlist as long as he doesn't care what's on mine.

OMG you have New Kids On the Block on your playlist???

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Only when we get our freak on!:m182:

Last edited:
Hahahaha

OMG you have New Kids On the Block on your playlist???

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Only if you have Aqua on yours :p

Come on Barbie, lets go party :)

Only if you have Aqua on yours :p

Come on Barbie, lets go party :)

I'm a Barbie Girl in a Barbie World . .:mhula: . in plastic, it's fantastic! :m124:you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation. Come on Barbie, let's go party!:m2:

Last edited:
hOI!
I'm a Horror Punk and Ska Punk musician, and I happen to be in the absolute perfect relationship! I also happen to be madly in love with this girl!
Anyways, she is into country music, and if you have ever heard Horror Punk or Ska Punk they are very different from Country, but her musical taste has rubbed off on me. I have been finding myself writing songs with a small Country influence. So I've gone from Horror Ska Punk (Which is already a strange combination) To Horror Ska Cowpunk.... It's like Social Distortion + Citizen Fish + Blitzkid....
Music doesn't have a bad effect on our relationship, it has actually improved it. We feel closer when we listen to music of any kind.
What you need to remember is that music is a form of communication, so why not use it for its purpose? If we have something to say to each other, we will play a song that describes our feelings, and sometimes it makes us fall in love all over again, and if we are having an argument we'll play a song where the meaning is similar to what's going on with us, and usually it helps us get over our little issue and get on with the amazing relationship that we have.

Music doesn't have a bad effect on our relationship, it has actually improved it. We feel closer when we listen to music of any kind.
What you need to remember is that music is a form of communication, so why not use it for its purpose? If we have something to say to each other, we will play a song that describes our feelings, and sometimes it makes us fall in love all over again, and if we are having an argument we'll play a song where the meaning is similar to what's going on with us, and usually it helps us get over our little issue and get on with the amazing relationship that we have.

Nice.