Does working hard make someone a good person? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does working hard make someone a good person?

Yes, but only in respect of being able to work hard.

What is a good person? Someone who is both willing and able to do what is good. Many people are willing to be good, few actually do it: hence the saying: "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

The ability to work hard makes it possible, if one is willing, to do a lot of good - and in the process become a good person.

It makes you good in the sense that you aren't lazy. In other senses, no.

Good points. But just to put it in perspective, I'm not really referring to those cases in which someone is working hard on something unethical or illegal.

But yet, we treat those who work hard as being better people than those who don't, in our estimation, work as hard as we think they should. This is a common stereotype which is so prevalent that it boggles the mind. I see so many people everyday arguing that because they work hard umpteen hours a week that they are better or more ethical or good than those who don't work as much as they do. Yet, these same people who work hard for their families, associates, or friends will justify bad behavior towards others but think they are good people. They think they're doing someone a huge favor by being good or nice to someone outside of their social circle.

The nicest and most giving people in the world don't necessarily "work hard" the way everyone else may have to but yet they are ignored or underestimated because they are not proving themselves through "working hard" as defined by the larger culture in which we live.

I may have to disagree here. :redface: Not all who work hard are treated better. The first thought that comes to mind is how hard immigrants work, specifically Mexican and Hispanic. They do all the hard physical labor that we americans are too lazy to be bothered with. They are treated as "lower" and certainly not paid what they should be. But maybe that has to do with prejudice? Idk.

"Good" is a subjective moral judgement that changes with perspective. Given that, hard work is just hard work. It isn't anything in and of itself, and it doesn't "make" anyone this or that.

You can judge someone else, or yourself, as "good" if you want. Just realize that it is a choice for you to do so, and that you could choose otherwise, regardless of someone's degree of industry.

cheers,
Ian

Does working hard make someone a good person?

Edit: Just to put it in context, I'm not really referring to those situations or cases in which someone is working hard on something unethical or illegal. I assumed that was implied when i posed the question.

If person has sharp focus, then i must say, he will be a good person. Focus + hard work= give you success.

For example, if you don't have any focus, then how can you know more and can become more interested subject. Need focus. So you can keep yourself on right track.