Does it annoy you when people dont look you in the eyes? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Does it annoy you when people dont look you in the eyes?

Eyes are the gateways to your soul. I really believe that.

There's nothing sexier than to float deep into a girl's eyes. Nothing more masculine than to look a man in the eye and tell him exactly as I mean it.

I can't have a conversation if someone doesn't make eye contact; it feels like they're hiding a part of themselves and/or telling me only what they want to reveal/tell. It connotes a sense of distrust, an unspoken message of "I will only allow you to see so much of me".

I will try to keep as much eye contact as I feel appropriate/necessary. I will look away when seriously considering something - the spark which leaps from my eyes to the other's has to break for me to contemplate. That spark, so to speak, is a living connection which puts me in perfect reception mode which I have to break to internally process their words/ideas.

Yeah, i feel you. But I always remind myself half the time it's their problem.THEY'RE the ones who are insecure and has issues with themselves! Keep your head up KMal. :)

In some cultures (mostly Western European cultures and their descendants) looking someone in the eyes is a sign of respect, but in even more cultures (almost all African, Asian, and Native American cultures) it is a sign of disrespect. A dejected countenance with the eyes pointed towards the ground is a more traditional demonstration of respect and/or submission.

The Western way makes less sense, as among pretty much all other primates (perhaps even most social mammals) maintaining eye contact a way to issue a challenge and assert one's own dominance. A staring match is one of the oldest way of showing others who is in charge. Feeling nervous or scared when challenged is normal and looking away is the instinctual response of one who would rather submit than risk a fight for leadership. Demanding continued eye contact may well be the instinct of a domineering type to try to drive home the point of his dominance by forcing the other to continue eye contact well beyind the point that is comfortable.

A lot of people hold the notion that most people are afraid to look others in the eye when lying to them. This is bogus. Perhaps because we are conscious of this societal expectation most people overcompensate and stare directly in the other person's eyes when lying. It is very rare for most of to look people directly in the eyes for very long when telling the truth. You ought to trust people less when they look you in the eyes. Letting the eyes drift up and to the side is normal when trying recall details genuine memories.

Last edited:
I dont look them directly in the eyes but when i talk to someone i do look at them.
As to show that they have my attention and i am participating in the conversation.

But i have been told off because of it few times. Some people dont like it when
i look at them when they are talking (what seems rude to me).

But yeah, i am not that good with eye contact.