Does anyone have a Plan? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum
That's a very biased view, Reason.

Further more its easier to donate to charity if you have enough wealth that you don't miss than living pay check to pay check.

10% of a persons wealth could be £10 or £10,000, and the person donating £10,000 gets more acolades for doing more than the individual who gives £10 because its all they can afford.

Further more its easier to donate to charity if you have enough wealth that you don't miss than living pay check to pay check.

10% of a persons wealth could be £10 or £10,000, and the person donating £10,000 gets more acolades for doing more than the individual who gives £10 because its all they can afford.
That's not an argument, that is a choice. But I understand what you mean.

That's not an argument, that is a choice. But I understand what you mean.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is I have more respect for someone who donates £10 from their meger wages to help their fellow man than someone earning £1,000,00 and gives £10,000.

Both are necessary and we cannot have a society without the £10,000 and that contribution has a larger practical effect. But it is easier to give the £10,000 than the £10 so those who are struggling more yet are still good people I have much more respect for.

If everyone were as good as the Angels living in Hell the world would be a much nicer place.

Reactions: Wyote and Rit4lin
I suppose what I'm trying to say is I have more respect for someone who donates £10 from their meger wages to help their fellow man than someone earning £1,000,00 and gives £10,000.

Both are necessary and we cannot have a society without the £10,000 and that contribution has a larger practical effect. But it is easier to give the £10,000 than the £10 so those who are struggling more yet are still good people I have much more respect for.

If everyone were as good as the Angels living in Hell the world would be a much nicer place.
Yeah, I know. And I disagree. Just help eachother.

@ReasonEnduring

I got exactly what you mean. I have a question for you but first I will help others trying to explain what you meant in other words.

Money is relative. For poor people, some developed countries doesnt actually manage to see them much, $10, 10 dollars or euro or british money, can be a lot. It can buy their food and water for a few days. Some people actually live with $10 daily in their lifes.
$10 is nothing for billionaries. Just doing the math, what is $10 for the poor doesnt equal even one cent for billionaries.

Thats the point. For some people, donating 10 can be quite a significant amount, while for others, even $10000 is not a lot at all. So, some billionaries arent exactly a good heart but they can pose to be. Some of them got, like 100 million on their accounts, but just a 2 million donation is enough to make them "philanthropist".

The percentage of income is the reasonable way to correct this relativeness. Actually, it doesnt fully correct it, but I wont enter much in detail why and I will suppose it does. 10% of income is 10% of income regardless of the person being rich or poor.

And now its time for the question...

When you mentioned this, "Its easy to be an Angel in Heaven.", I didnt need any more explanation.
I have to tell you a "story", I have been grown up in a place with significant corruption. There were stuff in my ending childhood and teen years which I only realize were corruption just later... because they were incredibly normal, just the status quo. I prefer not to specify what things are.
I had grown up and in my "adulthood" I started to slowly correcting myself and removing some of bad actions and habits, that is not something actually easy, because sometimes I dont really know if something is really wrong or its me being paranoid. In my teen moments, I even reached a time where I needed to tolerate corruption because I would run out of friends if I didnt. Actually, to be more specific, I had to tolerate and live with people who constantly cheated on school tests. Myself, I had never benefited of cheating on test but I, on two occasions, I supported it. But I had reach a point where I just didnt wanted to support anymore. Some people even saw myself as selfish for refusing to support. But still, I needed to treat people who cheated more equally, like cheating or not is a matter of..opinion. And that was on the test. Cheating in homework (copying, paste and switch a few words from somebody elses homework), on hard or long ones (not the regular ones), was so usually that I found myself doing it very naturally, until some point in university I realized that it was wrong as well.. I got that at my ending teenhood and start of adulthood to that. And about cheating test, there were some occasions were teachers were absolutely aware of it, and it was completely natural to them to pretend nothing happened. One day I even pointed out to teacher, not loud of course, and he just said some other random thing and said I should continue to do my test. But slowly, without realizing, I was getting more and more lonely, and although that wasnt the reason being alone wasnt rooted into that.

However, I had reached a point where I had to stop progressing towards that, and I havent actually finished the whole task of fixing bad habits that were just..normal. Actually, some people think I am too honest and that I should even lie more often and manipulate more often.. I didnt meant metaphorically but rather literally (but then falled back a bit saying, "no, its just real life stuff not manipulating") I am compared to a child. Things like being too honest or even "doing the right thing", are all just child stuff from the movies, and Im being childish for wanting to follow them. Real adult life is different and lying, manipulating, pretending, on a regular basis, is part of maturity. This is not my affirmation, but what I have been told to, more than one time, more than one person, and they didnt meant bad for me. Thats why I stopped progressing on that area, I still told while lies weekly (but I am still more honest than 95% or more of people around me...or perhaps 99%) or some very few times lead people thinking something that isnt true, but even with that, its still too much honesty.

Im still evaluating. I have been tend to attack this with loneliness, and I started to appreciate it. I have been putting silence where I would need to lie. Have been question avoidant with questions I should answer with a lie,and, when pushed, I give an empty answer, and when I cant even do that, then I finally do the lie. Still, the fact that I dont do these things isolate me, and some people even "go after me", complain about my introversion, my excessive honesty and all stuff..

The more recent stuff about that is religion. I have a very honest answer on that... Is there a God? I dont know. Is there an afterlife? I dont know, I think its likely, but I cant be sure. Well, I have been constantly pressed to subscribe that view, I have been called closed-minded for my answer, people push me religious books and it happens that it is usual to isolate people that arent religious, to (on your back) bully you partially because of that, and there are institutions that makes some enviroment distortions towards that, create opportunity here and there, isolate other people in there, etc...

And one close relative, that is like me but less (if I am more honest than 95-99, that relative is something like 80-90), have told me that I should pretend I believe in God so people will colaborate with me and I can get more social and get some life advantages that some people has. That was the relative being honest. Many people tell me how much it is better for the life of a person to be religious, how flows and its easier; But only that relative truly opened about why.

So, I have been into this... What should do you think I should do? Strategies, tips? I want to keep my ground but the more time passes, harder gets to keep it.

Ascending to heaven is difficult but it is one option, but it would take me years, and it is not a sure thing for many reasons. And perhaps I should do a thread for advice on that..

Reactions: dragulagu
@ReasonEnduring

And now its time for the question...

When you mentioned this, "Its easy to be an Angel in Heaven.", I didnt need any more explanation.
I have to tell you a "story", I have been grown up in a place with significant corruption. There were stuff in my ending childhood and teen years which I only realize were corruption just later... because they were incredibly normal, just the status quo. I prefer not to specify what things are.
I had grown up and in my "adulthood" I started to slowly correcting myself and removing some of bad actions and habits, that is not something actually easy, because sometimes I dont really know if something is really wrong or its me being paranoid. In my teen moments, I even reached a time where I needed to tolerate corruption because I would run out of friends if I didnt. Actually, to be more specific, I had to tolerate and live with people who constantly cheated on school tests. Myself, I had never benefited of cheating on test but I, on two occasions, I supported it. But I had reach a point where I just didnt wanted to support anymore. Some people even saw myself as selfish for refusing to support. But still, I needed to treat people who cheated more equally, like cheating or not is a matter of..opinion. And that was on the test. Cheating in homework (copying, paste and switch a few words from somebody elses homework), on hard or long ones (not the regular ones), was so usually that I found myself doing it very naturally, until some point in university I realized that it was wrong as well.. I got that at my ending teenhood and start of adulthood to that. And about cheating test, there were some occasions were teachers were absolutely aware of it, and it was completely natural to them to pretend nothing happened. One day I even pointed out to teacher, not loud of course, and he just said some other random thing and said I should continue to do my test. But slowly, without realizing, I was getting more and more lonely, and although that wasnt the reason being alone wasnt rooted into that.

However, I had reached a point where I had to stop progressing towards that, and I havent actually finished the whole task of fixing bad habits that were just..normal. Actually, some people think I am too honest and that I should even lie more often and manipulate more often.. I didnt meant metaphorically but rather literally (but then falled back a bit saying, "no, its just real life stuff not manipulating") I am compared to a child. Things like being too honest or even "doing the right thing", are all just child stuff from the movies, and Im being childish for wanting to follow them. Real adult life is different and lying, manipulating, pretending, on a regular basis, is part of maturity. This is not my affirmation, but what I have been told to, more than one time, more than one person, and they didnt meant bad for me. Thats why I stopped progressing on that area, I still told while lies weekly (but I am still more honest than 95% or more of people around me...or perhaps 99%) or some very few times lead people thinking something that isnt true, but even with that, its still too much honesty.

Im still evaluating. I have been tend to attack this with loneliness, and I started to appreciate it. I have been putting silence where I would need to lie. Have been question avoidant with questions I should answer with a lie,and, when pushed, I give an empty answer, and when I cant even do that, then I finally do the lie. Still, the fact that I dont do these things isolate me, and some people even "go after me", complain about my introversion, my excessive honesty and all stuff..

The more recent stuff about that is religion. I have a very honest answer on that... Is there a God? I dont know. Is there an afterlife? I dont know, I think its likely, but I cant be sure. Well, I have been constantly pressed to subscribe that view, I have been called closed-minded for my answer, people push me religious books and it happens that it is usual to isolate people that arent religious, to (on your back) bully you partially because of that, and there are institutions that makes some enviroment distortions towards that, create opportunity here and there, isolate other people in there, etc...

And one close relative, that is like me but less (if I am more honest than 95-99, that relative is something like 80-90), have told me that I should pretend I believe in God so people will colaborate with me and I can get more social and get some life advantages that some people has. That was the relative being honest. Many people tell me how much it is better for the life of a person to be religious, how flows and its easier; But only that relative truly opened about why.

So, I have been into this... What should do you think I should do? Strategies, tips? I want to keep my ground but the more time passes, harder gets to keep it.

Ascending to heaven is difficult but it is one option, but it would take me years, and it is not a sure thing for many reasons. And perhaps I should do a thread for advice on that..

This is a very good question and I thank you for your honesty and coming forward.

My advice would be, firstly, always be true to yourself. Even if you are forced to lie, always be aware you are in a lie. Don't let others corrupt your inner self.

Secondly, your life is more important that perfection. Survival is the top priority because if you do not survive, you can do nothing else. We can be martyrs to truth if we want, but at the end of the day, unless others will champion our cause its a waste of a good person.

Thirdly, let me introduce you to the concept of State Gods. The Ancient Roman Empire had many Gods before it became Christian. However they did not want foreign Gods replace their own. So they came up with the policy that you could worship any God you like, provided you paid lip service to the Roman Gods. This is where Christianity was a problem because it said the Roman Gods didn't exist.

The point I'm making is so many people pay lip service to a religion and aren't honest, that if its easier to participate to prevent ostracisation, it's not the worst thing in the world.

The UK is quite non-religious compared to the US, and I know when I travel to some States I won't tell people I am Atheist. If they ask I'll probably say I'm Christian to avoid problems. I know this isn't true but there is no harm to others in saying this and I am always true to myself and my own truths and beliefs in my heart. I just don't want to be beaten up for being different.

You can be honest when somewhere free, where people won't judge your for your beliefs, but if people punish you for your differences, sometimes blending in for survival isn't a sin.

Fourth, try being honest, but figure out which lies are valuable and which aren't. If a lie just harms someone else or doesn't gain you anything, its a waste of time anyway. If a lie can improve you life in such a way you can make other people's lives better, or you can encourage others to be better, then it might be acceptable.

Another example, when people ask me how much money I make in job interviews, I tend not to be completely honest and say more than I am. Why? Because when they offer me the job I want as much money as possible. The extra money gives a better life for me and my family, also if I have more spare I can donate to charity. I can also use that money to make a business, and one day give a chunk of my profits of my business to help others. A little lie can make the world better.

That said, I don't lie about how much I make to my friends. Why would I? What do I gain? They think I'm rich? If people think someone is rich they ask them for money and get angry if they refuse. Being honest is best because people will not come for money you don't make.

Also making people feel bad about being poor does nothing to benefit me and just makes them jealous. Then they may attack me when they are desperate. Also I could lie about being poor, getting free drinks from friends as the 'poor' friend. But if you do this too much people will stop believing, so when you do need help they will reject you, especially if they have found out you were lying before.

Its the old fable 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'. If you lie too much people will never believe you are true. And sometimes when you are desperate if people know you to be telling the truth they might take pity and help you because they know you are usually honest.

Now, the advantage of having a reputation of being honest - people trust you. If you say something they believe your words and that can be powerful. Sometimes you can make a little lie to make life better and they accept it as they trust you to be honest.

Last example. At work my bosses come to ask me how long a piece of work will take to do. They know I am honest so I say 3 weeks. I know the work will take 2 weeks but I don't want to be stressed out as it will make life worse for me and people I work with. The boss trusts me and give me 3 weeks. I then complete the work in 2 weeks, or 2.5 weeks if there is a problem or my team needs to take it slow. My boss is happy because my work is early! My team is happy because they had a rest! In the end, everyone is happy because of small lie. It is a lie that benefits everyone.

Honesty opens many doors, but lies are a tool. If you use it too much it will break. But if you don't use it at all life becomes harder.

The secret is to be mostly honest, but use little lies to make the world better. People will trust you and depend on you, making you valuable to them. And you can use that value to improve your life and the lives of other people.

Only lie when it makes the world better. Otherwise, be honest, and get a useful reputation for honesty.

Hope some of this helps.

Reactions: Vendrah
This is a very good question and I thank you for your honesty and coming forward.

My advice would be, firstly, always be true to yourself. Even if you are forced to lie, always be aware you are in a lie. Don't let others corrupt your inner self.

Secondly, your life is more important that perfection. Survival is the top priority because if you do not survive, you can do nothing else. We can be martyrs to truth if we want, but at the end of the day, unless others will champion our cause its a waste of a good person.

Thirdly, let me introduce you to the concept of State Gods. The Ancient Roman Empire had many Gods before it became Christian. However they did not want foreign Gods replace their own. So they came up with the policy that you could worship any God you like, provided you paid lip service to the Roman Gods. This is where Christianity was a problem because it said the Roman Gods didn't exist.

The point I'm making is so many people pay lip service to a religion and aren't honest, that if its easier to participate to prevent ostracisation, it's not the worst thing in the world.

The UK is quite non-religious compared to the US, and I know when I travel to some States I won't tell people I am Atheist. If they ask I'll probably say I'm Christian to avoid problems. I know this isn't true but there is no harm to others in saying this and I am always true to myself and my own truths and beliefs in my heart. I just don't want to be beaten up for being different.

You can be honest when somewhere free, where people won't judge your for your beliefs, but if people punish you for your differences, sometimes blending in for survival isn't a sin.

Fourth, try being honest, but figure out which lies are valuable and which aren't. If a lie just harms someone else or doesn't gain you anything, its a waste of time anyway. If a lie can improve you life in such a way you can make other people's lives better, or you can encourage others to be better, then it might be acceptable.

Another example, when people ask me how much money I make in job interviews, I tend not to be completely honest and say more than I am. Why? Because when they offer me the job I want as much money as possible. The extra money gives a better life for me and my family, also if I have more spare I can donate to charity. I can also use that money to make a business, and one day give a chunk of my profits of my business to help others. A little lie can make the world better.

That said, I don't lie about how much I make to my friends. Why would I? What do I gain? They think I'm rich? If people think someone is rich they ask them for money and get angry if they refuse. Being honest is best because people will not come for money you don't make.

Also making people feel bad about being poor does nothing to benefit me and just makes them jealous. Then they may attack me when they are desperate. Also I could lie about being poor, getting free drinks from friends as the 'poor' friend. But if you do this too much people will stop believing, so when you do need help they will reject you, especially if they have found out you were lying before.

Its the old fable 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'. If you lie too much people will never believe you are true. And sometimes when you are desperate if people know you to be telling the truth they might take pity and help you because they know you are usually honest.

Now, the advantage of having a reputation of being honest - people trust you. If you say something they believe your words and that can be powerful. Sometimes you can make a little lie to make life better and they accept it as they trust you to be honest.

Last example. At work my bosses come to ask me how long a piece of work will take to do. They know I am honest so I say 3 weeks. I know the work will take 2 weeks but I don't want to be stressed out as it will make life worse for me and people I work with. The boss trusts me and give me 3 weeks. I then complete the work in 2 weeks, or 2.5 weeks if there is a problem or my team needs to take it slow. My boss is happy because my work is early! My team is happy because they had a rest! In the end, everyone is happy because of small lie. It is a lie that benefits everyone.

Honesty opens many doors, but lies are a tool. If you use it too much it will break. But if you don't use it at all life becomes harder.

The secret is to be mostly honest, but use little lies to make the world better. People will trust you and depend on you, making you valuable to them. And you can use that value to improve your life and the lives of other people.

Only lie when it makes the world better. Otherwise, be honest, and get a useful reputation for honesty.

Hope some of this helps.
Thanks for the answer, not quite sure Im going to follow but thanks for the advice.

Reactions: ReasonEnduring
Thats the point. For some people, donating 10 can be quite a significant amount, while for others, even $10000 is not a lot at all. So, some billionaries arent exactly a good heart but they can pose to be. Some of them got, like 100 million on their accounts, but just a 2 million donation is enough to make them "philanthropist".

The percentage of income is the reasonable way to correct this relativeness. Actually, it doesnt fully correct it, but I wont enter much in detail why and I will suppose it does. 10% of income is 10% of income regardless of the person being rich or poor.

Absolutely disagree here.

I'll take the example of Bill Gates here, he's going on a philanthropic crusade through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, putting millions into medical research and reusable technology. I don't know whether he is doing this against other plans or for PR reasons. He's still seen as a prime evil to many (due to his past, can't argue on that), so I don't think he does it specifically to clean his image (people blame his foundation for example for simulating an epidemic spread-out through the 201 project on a close timeline with the start of the epidemic: http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html). They donated 100m to fight the corona epidemic, so why not: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/06/...gates-foundation-novel-coronavirus/index.html

I don't know the guy, I don't know his absolute morals, but what he did so far is ok to me. And there are other "philanthropists" that are performing the same roles. If billionaires invest money in positive projects for our world, then let them. I'm not arguing the ridiculous capital gap between billionaires and the average person, because that's another topic.

There are contrary examples, like Zuck., that asshole started his foundation just to launder his money into a non-profit organisation. Or that idiot from Alibaba who pushes his own morals above the health of his employees. That, to me, shows a more direct view on the morals of that billionaire person than someone who's putting money into "philanthropic" causes.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...-charitable-billionaires-philanthrocapitalism

So, to state that you should be inclined to give a % of your net worth to others to be a "good person" is, to me, just ridiculous. And philanthropy depend purely on the intentions behind it.

I'll take the example of Bill Gates here, he's going on a philanthropic crusade through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, putting millions into medical research and reusable technology. I don't know whether he is doing this against other plans or for PR reasons. He's still seen as a prime evil to many (due to his past, can't argue on that), so I don't think he does it specifically to clean his image (people blame his foundation for example for simulating an epidemic spread-out through the 201 project on a close timeline with the start of the epidemic: http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html). They donated 100m to fight the corona epidemic, so why not: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/06/...gates-foundation-novel-coronavirus/index.html

I don't know the guy, I don't know his absolute morals, but what he did so far is ok to me. And there are other "philanthropists" that are performing the same roles. If billionaires invest money in positive projects for our world, then let them. I'm not arguing the ridiculous capital gap between billionaires and the average person, because that's another topic.

There are contrary examples, like Zuck., that asshole started his foundation just to launder his money into a non-profit organisation. Or that idiot from Alibaba who pushes his own morals above the health of his employees. That, to me, shows a more direct view on the morals of that billionaire person than someone who's putting money into "philanthropic" causes.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...-charitable-billionaires-philanthrocapitalism

So, to state that you should be inclined to give a % of your net worth to others to be a "good person" is, to me, just ridiculous. And philanthropy depend purely on the intentions behind it.

I agree to an extent. Bill Gates has been doing a lot of good and I never begrudge any Philanthropy.

Infact I think Tom Steyer is a good man and probably would have been a good President under different circumstances.

What they do differently though from some other Philanthropists is they put time and effort into their projects beyond just money. They are passionately about what they do, about making the world better.

Someone who just pulls out their check book at a fund raiser may be a Philathropist but they're also doing it because of social convention. When they go home to their manion they don't give a damn about the plebs slaving away to make their millions, but the act of giving money lets them feel they can sleep well at night because they are a good person (despite their money is earned from the labour of others).

Its those sorts of Philathropists I am slightly more dubious of, especiallly as some make more money off the back of people's suffering than they donate to improve the world. A net negative effect, if you will.

What they do differently though from some other Philanthropists is they put time and effort into their projects beyond just money. They are passionately about what they do, about making the world better.

Someone who just pulls out their check book at a fund raiser may be a Philathropist but they're also doing it because of social convention. When they go home to their manion they don't give a damn about the plebs slaving away to make their millions, but the act of giving money lets them feel they can sleep well at night because they are a good person (despite their money is earned from the labour of others).

Its those sorts of Philathropists I am slightly more dubious of, especiallly as some make more money off the back of people's suffering than they donate to improve the world. A net negative effect, if you will.

Yep, agreed.

Bill gates probably won billions in his whole life.
He probably has literally at least 2,000 millions or even more. If he donates 100 milion, then there are still 1,900 million left, it doesnt do much difference. However, i dont know if he actually donated more or pretend to do more but that just the perfect example.
If we take a rich that is less richer than him; Random example, a rich that has 150 million in his whole life.
If this guy donates the same 100 million, he will be left with 50 million, which is less than a half. This guy will indeed sacrificed way more to make the same donation than Bill Gates did.
Thats why the %. Bill Gates in the example donated 5%, which has few impact for him (but if thats he did or going to do, then that isnt much effort), while the second random rich donated about 67% of all he have, which represent a lot of sacriffice, he will definitely have to change some of his spending habits and that will have a deep financial impact for him.

Saying that 100 million isnt much appears to be an crazy; It is a really high amount of money for me, for you, for the most of the most of us. But for Bill Gates fortune, thats not much. He does that money in a year or two; We do that money in perhaps ten lifes.

Count that with what @ReasonEnduring said; Many these guys donate something that does represents nothing for them, but that still can be more than a life-time money for us, and with properly marketing/manipulation they can think thats a really big sacrifice since he is donating what is, to us, a fortune, while for him it is just exchange.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
Bill gates probably won billions in his whole life.
He probably has literally at least 2,000 millions or even more. If he donates 100 milion, then there are still 1,900 million left, it doesnt do much difference. However, i dont know if he actually donated more or pretend to do more but that just the perfect example.
If we take a rich that is less richer than him; Random example, a rich that has 150 million in his whole life.
If this guy donates the same 100 million, he will be left with 50 million, which is less than a half. This guy will indeed sacrificed way more to make the same donation than Bill Gates did.
Thats why the %. Bill Gates in the example donated 5%, which has few impact for him (but if thats he did or going to do, then that isnt much effort), while the second random rich donated about 67% of all he have, which represent a lot of sacriffice, he will definitely have to change some of his spending habits and that will have a deep financial impact for him.

Saying that 100 million isnt much appears to be an crazy; It is a really high amount of money for me, for you, for the most of the most of us. But for Bill Gates fortune, thats not much. He does that money in a year or two; We do that money in perhaps ten lifes.

100m is still 100m. When you're a billionaire, I'd assume it's more about status, than actual monetary value. You drop your value, you lose your power. So I stay with my point that seeing a billionaire drop 50% of his fortune is just ridiculous. That's from the billionaire's point of view. And let's say I'd be the 100m guy, if I would donate 50m from my fortune now or put that 100m in investment (as they normally do), driving economy, get a return of 50m and donate that to charity, wouldn't I have done the same? I would have risked a lot less from my own self when I use this method. It's a whole other an aggressive world up there when you have a capital in these numbers.

I agree with your sentiment that the capital division is just absurd (why should a billionaire have that much). But to me 100m is still 100m and if it's donated with effort to improve humanity, good. I'd rather see that happening than that billionaire putting that 100m into another golden house on the side. Or worse, put capital into something that harms people. That's much more threatening than choosing to donate a small part of your fortune.

Oof. Thanks for bringing this up. It hit a nerve because of my life and background. Its one of those things too often taken for granted if you've never been in the situation. Housing is expensive, landlords give you a lot of crap if you rent low income housing, you get shat on by society no matter how hard you work, no matter who you are or came from...I may have more to say about this later, but again this is a big and completely solvable problem. In the US there are so many unused vacant properties, yet also so many homeless. It's truly sad and a shame...

Yeah. We're lucky my wife found a good landlord. He's a nice guy and quite chill which is good. When we had a problem with our cooker he got a replacement within a week. Was actually an improvement on the old one.

Not everyone is so lucky.

100m is still 100m. When you're a billionaire, I'd assume it's more about status, than actual monetary value. You drop your value, you lose your power. So I stay with my point that seeing a billionaire drop 50% of his fortune is just ridiculous. That's from the billionaire's point of view. And let's say I'd be the 100m guy, if I would donate 50m from my fortune now or put that 100m in investment (as they normally do), driving economy, get a return of 50m and donate that to charity, wouldn't I have done the same? I would have risked a lot less from my own self when I use this method. It's a whole other an aggressive world up there when you have a capital in these numbers.

I agree with your sentiment that the capital division is just absurd (why should a billionaire have that much). But to me 100m is still 100m and if it's donated with effort to improve humanity, good. I'd rather see that happening than that billionaire putting that 100m into another golden house on the side. Or worse, put capital into something that harms people. That's much more threatening than choosing to donate a small part of your fortune.
I think we were most discussing the merit of effort rather than effectiveness. My point was more towards effort; I explained as much as I could.

Reactions: dragulagu
I think we were most discussing the merit of effort rather than effectiveness. My point was more towards effort; I explained as much as I could.
Ok, then in the merit of effort, I agree with you.
Though I rather want someone like Bill (or whichever billionaire) to invest their money in people that put their effort in a good cause than them putting their own effort in it themselves. It gives these people drive to help in humanity. Billionaires...already have set their own vision on this world. So if, lead by example, they see results in a philanthropic way through their investments, in return they (hopefully) will have a better vision to the world themselves.

Yep, planning on changing the world through music :)

I don't think giving government all the authority/ the power when it comes to social welfare is a good idea. Yes, there should be safety nets, but I believe individuals need to be more charitable. There should be shared responsibilty and I don't know why teh government would need to play such a central role.
Create a giving, generous, altruistic culture. (No I don't have any suggestions on how to do that.) There's joy in giving. When you have a society populated with people of good and strong character then you will have change.

Does anyone have a plan to make the world better?

I mean an actual plan to drastically improve society and counter the dangers the modern world is manifesting?

Given we live in a world where the corrupt and tyrannical can buy or butcher their way to success and democracy is a popularity contest rather than a way of selecting the best and brightest to lead, does anyone have any ideas on how to get to a position to make a BIG difference?

Does anyone know how to make the world better without damaging other people or causing even greater damage and suffering? How do you prevent the corruption of your otherwise noble ideas by the selfish, greedy and malicious?

How do you get the rest of the world to buy into your ideas in the long term, and not end up having them cast aside due to their impractical nature during implementation?

I have a few basic ideas, but its not something I can do alone and I'd love to talk with people who have thought similar thoughts...
Yes. I really do have a plan. I'm not even joking. :sweatsmile:

I believe in the profound impact of education and so I became an educator because I wanted to reproduce good professionals by the dozens each year. I realize now, too that more than students, many of our professionals also need intervention. I work in an encompassing field and even if I know that all our work combined won't make the world a better place immediately, I believe in the critical importance of starting something that spreads into ripples. I plan to improve the professional standards of those in my field and I want to implement them in the corrupted portions of the government.

I deeply truly believe in my work. Hehe.

Does anyone have a plan to make the world better?

I mean an actual plan to drastically improve society and counter the dangers the modern world is manifesting?

Given we live in a world where the corrupt and tyrannical can buy or butcher their way to success and democracy is a popularity contest rather than a way of selecting the best and brightest to lead, does anyone have any ideas on how to get to a position to make a BIG difference?

Does anyone know how to make the world better without damaging other people or causing even greater damage and suffering? How do you prevent the corruption of your otherwise noble ideas by the selfish, greedy and malicious?

How do you get the rest of the world to buy into your ideas in the long term, and not end up having them cast aside due to their impractical nature during implementation?

I have a few basic ideas, but its not something I can do alone and I'd love to talk with people who have thought similar thoughts...