Do you play up or play down your intelligence in social situations? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you play up or play down your intelligence in social situations?

Depends. I don't like to play up or down with any part of myself (I want to be me, whatever that is), but some people get annoyed/start acting weird if I seem too intelligent. It makes me uncomfortable, so I just avoid any kind of conversation that could lead to it.

I do not consider myself to be at all intelligent, though there some scarce madmen that would argue the case to me.

From this, and other peoples impressions, I can only assume I am constantly playing up.

My existence is one of smoke and mirrors, paved with certain uncertainties and a myriad dreams.

I am only as real as each fleeting moment, each precious sliver of that fragmented window, will allow.

Ahem.

You just ruined my imagery pig.

Prepare to cut in two and then afterwards used to grease my window panes!

Mix it up! If you are usually tired and a feeling a bit random anyway, what else can you do?

I have good intelligence but don't feel like I have to prove anything to anybody. We all have intelligence of some kind, but we all also have a few loose bricks in our wall. Much of it depends on our interests. I am dyslexic and that hurts me on IQ tests, particularly on the diagrams where I'm supposed to pick the next diagram in the series. So what? I've been tested from 106 to 160, and with a dollar I can get a cup of coffee. I don't play it up or down. The vocabulary I use depends on who I'm with. There's always somone smarter or someone dumber than me. I respect just about all of them, except for the arrogant and pretentious.

I see many here are afraid of playing up intelligence because it may make others think we're snobbish or arrogant, but i don't see many acknowledging that in many cases, it is necessary to show or demonstrate your knowledge or intelligence, and that it's not playing up or playing down intelligence which is the problem, but why and how it's done.

Last edited:
Do you play up or play down your "intelligence" in social situations? Why or why not? And in what situations?

Intelligence can mean many things, not necessarily IQ. It could be one of Gardner's intelligences or any other type of specific intelligence you have which is above average?

Well I am probably more intelligent in certain topics than others. But I know that many people are more intelligent than me and it doesnt bother me. Im not really a quick thinker sometimes and that probably keeps me from obtaining any goals of high prestige. Socially though I can fit in with book smart people or people with only street smarts.

Also I think that I am pretty good at keeping my mouth shut when I would look stupid on serious matters. I can usually not embarrass myself and I can also recover quickly and turn the tables if someone want to pick on me.