Do you often try to rationalize your feelings out of existence? | INFJ Forum

Do you often try to rationalize your feelings out of existence?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Gaze, Jul 8, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Do you try to change the way you feel by trying to rationalize them out of existence? Does it work? ;)

I've been trying, and it's been somewhat effective but the feelings still usually remain, oddly enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Gaze, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Yup, all the time.

Emotions are irrational and useless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Not out of existence, but rationalizing them hard enough so that I could change them.

But going a level meta, I don't know if it's another manifestation of another emotions, mainly desperation in my case.

4. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    I don't try to rationalise them out of existence, so much as try to deal with them rationally. Regardless of what I do, I will occasionally experience strong emotions (positive or negative ones) - I try to take the emotion I might be experiencing into account when making my decisions.

For instance, when I am irritated with someone, I delegate someone else to deal with or judge that person's performance, because I know that I will probably lack objectivity.

5. Odyne

Odyne ===========
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    The good feelings, no. I relish in those as they are.

The bad feelings, yes. I dissect them till I find out the why, how, what, where and everything. It helps me handle them better and avoid feeling that way again in the future, or at least, they won't hurt so much.

6. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Yep, the same.

7. invisible

On Holiday

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    none
    does everyone agree that this is healthy?

i think this is healthy and i think i do this when i am being healthy. when i'm not being healthy i tell myself i have no feelings or my feelings don't matter enough to be worth paying attention to and then i feel numb and sleepy.

8. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    yeah it works all the time.

9. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    This^^^^^ exactly. Yeah, it sometimes just gets worse when i deny or suppress the feelings.

10. Kgal

Kgal Gone
    Site Supporter

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 Mediator
    No. I do not think this is healthy. What about shadow work? What about the hurt and ignored aspects of yourself that are hidden in the dark? They have very strong 'bad' or negative feelings and they have power as long as they remain hidden within you.

I am trying to discover all the hidden bad, painful, negative emotions roiling within me and welcoming them into the light. The only way I've found to do this without getting caught up in the emotion, is to invoke the observer in me - adopt a nurturing motherly kind of role - and watch the feeling/emotion as it unfolds in me as if I were listening to a child tell me their story of hurt.

Afterwards - my heart feels lighter.

This has proven to be very enlightening for me...

11. DevilDoll

DevilDoll Beware! I Bite...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    I completely agree. I can't always rationalize them completely away, but I sure try.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ (IEI)
    Enneagram:
    4w5 so/sx
    I don't really try to use rational thought much at all, actually. Rational thought and logic are good when it comes to solving problems related to systems, such as money, societal obligations, education etc., but emotions and irrational ideas help me make sense of the theoretical and emotional aspects of life, like relationships, new ideas, the unexplained aspects of life, and spirituality, which I value more.

13. 894tt3h9

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Beep Boop
    Enneagram:
    Beep Boop
    I try to rationalize my emotions all the time. It seems that I can't function properly if I allow myself to get too wrapped up in emotions. It's a domino effect for me. The more I feel, the more I tend to get wrapped up in my own head and my life suddenly becomes a lot more unproductive and isolated.

I've actually become quite adept at rationalizations and am able to pretty much experience little to no emotion at all. I understand that this isn't exactly maintaining a balance and is likely not in my best interest, but sometimes I feel it's better if I just use this coping mechanism to push through so that I can deal with the fall out at a later time.

14. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Good point.

15. 894tt3h9

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Beep Boop
    Enneagram:
    Beep Boop

16. aeon

aeon Amoureux des Chatons
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    947 sx/sp
    Back when I felt I had reason to avoid experiencing emotion (too much pain), I never much engaged in rationalization. I guess it just wasn't my natural preference. I tended toward depersonalization, and later, drugs.

These days, I've come to accept how I feel, and I value the experience of being one with both my joys and my sorrows. The ability to be present with and vulnerable to my own suffering is a gift that I have no words to describe.

Part of learning (for me) about what it is To Love was learning to accept my own person, with neither judgement or condition. Part of that acceptance is the awareness of, and respect for, my emotional experience.

My emotions are a blessing to my being, and I receive them with open arms. Yea, pain is exactly that, but at the same time, being open to it also means I am able to experience unbridled joy, pleasure, and wonder.

I wouldn't trade that for the world.

bless

#16 aeon, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  17. yepunsarang

yepunsarang Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    yes, I used to do this a lot. But I came to realize how it's destructive towards my heart which I value highly. "Safety" isn't necessarily what is safe---especially if you keep pushing your heart away from something it really desires.

18. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    If I'm not trying to "rationalize them away," I'm definitely over-thinking my feelings. I often can't decide what or how I feel, and why I feel the way I do. I eventually get so confused, I do my best to either ignore the discomfort or distract myself with something.