Do You Live Your Life on Autopilot? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do You Live Your Life on Autopilot?

o_o not sure I get this, actually.

I looked for the videos and couldnt find them, both the simpsons episode and the clips on youtube were critical of hipster trends and the mindset, the simpsons episode in particular was that cool people were jerks.

Both satirise the pursuit of novelty in some ways, the simpsons is more of a hipster pursuits satire than simply new things, the other video, which I wish I could find, depicted someone seeing someone else having particular ear rings or beard and deciding it was interesting and then spontaneously adopting it, that person then abandons it deciding it has become passe, the next person adopts something spontaneously and when the hipster themselves seperately picks it up and discovers they have loudly protests that they have "ruined it", simply by making it "popular".

Both make the points I was trying to make about novelty, a thing is good despite its being new or at least not simply because it is new surely?

I see. I can see your perspective, I think. And I think it has merit.

Cheers.

I see. I'm just asking, because while you're right that you can very well dislike things without direct experience; direct experience can bring a certain indistinguishable perspective.

That's fair tho. Thanks~

Would you care to elaborate? Do you think opinions derive or should derive from experience?

Balance is the key....

You don't want to feel stifled but at the same time too much chaos can be unsettling

I think people need to find what works for them

Some people like to put down roots, some are more nomadic and sometimes people change

Both satirise the pursuit of novelty in some ways, the simpsons is more of a hipster pursuits satire than simply new things, the other video, which I wish I could find, depicted someone seeing someone else having particular ear rings or beard and deciding it was interesting and then spontaneously adopting it, that person then abandons it deciding it has become passe, the next person adopts something spontaneously and when the hipster themselves seperately picks it up and discovers they have loudly protests that they have "ruined it", simply by making it "popular".

Both make the points I was trying to make about novelty, a thing is good despite its being new or at least not simply because it is new surely?
Yeah, it does, I think. (Although we can argue about different values and how novelty affected it, but I think it played into your words too.)

Would you care to elaborate? Do you think opinions derive or should derive from experience?
No, not at all, God; no. I apologize if I mis-explained.
Opinions derive from many places; experience is one of them.
However direct experience had its particular trait that differs them from others, such as how opinions from books, other people's words, etc; have their different traits.
I don't think it's particularly stronger or better, but it's...different. It's perfectly fine either way.

Kind of, I am a creature of habits. I dismiss most of the unknown places my friends want to go, I take forever to choose from the menu. I actually savor my food instead of merely swallowing it.
I don't try anything new unless I know after dizzying analyses that I am going to good at it or enjoy it.
I can find flaws in everything or reasons not to do something.
Still learning how to manage, tips are welcome.

I think, that when I am living on autopilot I am at my lowest. I feel unhappy so I just shut down my life and start figuring out what is wrong. When I am happy I find new things even in stereotypical activities and enjoy little things. But in general, my mind is restless and never satisfied, so autopilot does not fulfill my needs.

To get out of auto, I am going to try #1 here. I already do #2. #3 is harder. I'll get there.
http://www.coherenthealing.com/pdfs/StoppingMindChatter.pdf
I like the exercises listed. Many sites talk about how the chatter isn't really us. Well, that isn't very helpful. But this page gives good, and specific, examples of how to achieve separation from the chatter.
I hope this isn't out of place.

I do live on auto pilot a good bit.

It seems the more I learn the less important everything becomes. The more I learn, the more I lose myself.