Do you have a mental illness? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you have a mental illness?

Ahh, that must be hard to deal with. :( I suppose the fact that I'm periodically self-aware about what I do and apologize for it (albeit after the damage is done) could be considered a positive asset. I just wish recognizing how irrational my thoughts are had any impact on my emotional mind. I've gone to group DBT therapy for it, drugs, counseling, inpatient, but I'm fairly treatment-resistant up to this point. Or perhaps I'm just stubborn, haha.
Hm, well, I wish you luck in making a breakthrough towards recovery then :) I know, even my logic circuits break down when I'm in a highly emotional situation, and I thought I was INTP for a while >.<

MBTI: INTP

Do you have a mental illness?
Yes, more than one. :(
I'll explain but I'll keep it brief.

Aspergers Syndrome (AS):
Is an autism spectrum disorder.
Tends to use formal speech patterns.
Has an obsessive nature, particularly towards a single subject.
Poor at picking up social ques or reading other people's emotions, lacks empathy.
Has poor motor skills.
Displays lack of eye contact.
Prefers not to engage in bodily contact eg; hugging.
Has difficulty maintaining relationships.

Clinical Depression

Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD):
Difficulty maintaining emotions eg; severe depression, suicide, anger.
Repressing memories of traumatic events, experiencing flashbacks and disassociation with reality.
Changes in how the individual views themselves eg; feelings of helplessness, shame, guilt, detachment.
How the individual views the perpetrator eg; fixated on revenge.
Isolates self from others, distrusting of others.
Loss of faith in humanity.
Gains a sense of hopelessness towards the future.

Gender Identity Disorder (GID):
Identifies and associates with opposite gender or no gender rather than their own.
Cross dresses.
Tends to cross sex roles eg; takes up the opposite gender role in play such as 'make believe' or video games.
Desires to participate in stereotypical activities of the opposite gender.
Adopts traits of the opposite gender such as speech patterns and mannerisms.
Sees their own gender through the eyes of the opposite gender.

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD):
Although my doctors need to do more work assessing this. After doing my own research I personally think that I might have Schizotypal Personality Disorder (STPD). Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerosol
I have a social anxiety disorder and struggle with depression.

[MENTION=4293]MoniqueS[/MENTION] I used to have social anxiety as well. :hug: It seems to be common among INFJs, interesting pattern.

I think I'm a little OCD as well, but when I was in college, it was much more severe. So was the social anxiety.

I think, for me it was induced by being a bad environment (lack of social support/isolation). Like, I was already shy and very tidy (as I am now), but when I was put in that environment, those qualities escalated on the spectrum.

We're all nothing more than a bunch of disorders these days.

All of these disorders are common among everyone, not just INFJs.

I was only referring to social anxiety, and I didn't mean it like that. I was thinking more of the introverted function.

I was only referring to social anxiety, and I didn't mean it like that. I was thinking more of the introverted function.

Hm, true... it's probably a lot more common in introverts. Lemme look something up real quick...

Yup. Your intuition was correct! Social anxiety (actually, anxiety in general) is negatively correlated with extroversion :)

But still, that's what he was saying - referring to the whole thread, there's a lot of variety but everyone's got something. And some of us aren't telling everything...

Hm, true... it's probably a lot more common in introverts. Lemme look something up real quick...

Yup. Your intuition was correct! Social anxiety (actually, anxiety in general) is negatively correlated with extroversion :)

But still, that's what he was saying - referring to the whole thread, there's a lot of variety but everyone's got something. And some of us aren't telling everything...

It's obvious that I didn't mean it as some sort of revelation, and mentioned it only as an afterthought.

But thank you for the second clarification, which was what I wanted to know after asking a simple question to learn more about what the poster meant. I didn't ask to have my statement overanalyzed and criticized.

It's obvious that I didn't mean it as some sort of revelation, and mentioned it only as an afterthought.

But thank you for the second clarification, which was what I wanted to know after asking a simple question to learn more about what the poster meant. I didn't ask to have my statement overanalyzed and criticized.

You asked what he meant, and I answered :m075:

i once went to a professional to check my mental sanity: the symptoms turned out to be clinically irrelevant.
also ADD was checked: nope, although sometimes i doubt this, i think i might have a weak form of ADD.

Age 50. Major depressive disorder since age 17. Professionally diagnosed. Only problem was, the depression would lift for a few days, then I would sink into depression again. Treated with Elavil with no effect. When Prozac first came out I tried that; sent me into a manic conscienceless phase that destroyed my first marriage and several key relationships. This was missed by primary care physician. I would present as high functioning, but was actually rapid cycling bipolar since, I am guessing, 1998. I tested INTJ prior to this point. Ahead to 2007, now testing INFJ, in full blown Bipolar Disorder 2. Severe mood swings, sometimes within the same day; anxiety attacks several times a day; suicide ideation, racing thoughts, obsessions, and little sleep for 3 months straight- I would sleep 1-2 hrs and would feel "fine". Mild ADD, but this probably part of BPD 2. Social anxiety. Another professional diagnosis by a psych doc in 2010- correct diagnosis of Bipolar disorder 2. Treated effectively with Seroquel, this drug has been a miracle for me. Symptoms are down across the board almost entirely, with the exception of social anxiety, which I suspect is permanent. For whatever reason, I now test as INTJ.

Gender Identity Disorder (GID):
Identifies and associates with opposite gender or no gender rather than their own.
Cross dresses.
Tends to cross sex roles eg; takes up the opposite gender role in play such as 'make believe' or video games.
Desires to participate in stereotypical activities of the opposite gender.
Adopts traits of the opposite gender such as speech patterns and mannerisms.
Sees their own gender through the eyes of the opposite gender.

I (and many others) don't really see this as a disorder, since once you transition there are literally 0 psychological symptoms. I'd be ok with labeling it 'Gender incongruence' (as the DSM-V currently plans) since until you transition, you have dysphoria and the related social adaptation issues and so on, but that all goes away after.

I (and many others) don't really see this as a disorder, since once you transition there are literally 0 psychological symptoms. I'd be ok with labeling it 'Gender incongruence' (as the DSM-V currently plans) since until you transition, you have dysphoria and the related social adaptation issues and so on, but that all goes away after.

I more see it as a conflict of identity. I personally view it in its own way, not an outright positive but as an potential. Its made me into a rugged and hardy individual.

social anxiety, generalised anxiety and depression - under control at present though it wasn't for many years. I haven't had a panic attack or major depressive episode in 3 years yay! I often fear the problems will re-assert themselves, particularly when I am under alot of stress I feel mild forms of the symptoms coming back. Occassionally I wonder if my depression was misdiagnosed, and that maybe I had bipolar, as sometimes I think I experience mania - but I'm not really sure.

"Aspergers Syndrome (AS): "
Is an autism spectrum disorder.
Tends to use formal speech patterns.
Has an obsessive nature, particularly towards a single subject.
Poor at picking up social ques or reading other people's emotions, lacks empathy.
Has poor motor skills.
Displays lack of eye contact.
Prefers not to engage in bodily contact eg; hugging.
Has difficulty maintaining relationships.

Because I am passionate about Asperger's (my mom has it, son has it, and I'm floating around the peripheral of the box myself) I must correct skewed or inaccurate information:

Eye contact in Aspies isn't always poor (limited) as it is with others in the ASD; a better terminology would be "inappropriate" eye contact...I have worked with Aspies who stared too much-not regulating appropriate eye contact rather than no eye contact.

Secondly, some Aspies touch too much; hug too much-again, inappropriate is a better word as many Aspies I know don't know how to regulate this in the opposite direction...a hug then count one one thousand, two one thousand and break...I can think of two adult Aspies off the top of my head that hug like a big baby Huey. Remember, some Aspies have issues with personal space/body in space issues and hugging would be a part of that.

Just a pet peeve; thanks for letting me vent... A major reason for this is inexperienced or linear (text book only) doctors saying ridiculous statements like "he or she can't be in the ASD because they make eye contact and are gregarious"; this demonstrates a total lack of understanding of a) Aspergers, b) about criteria check list (some not all characteristics apply) and c) within all are mild-moderate-severe.

ps... I am OCD (can you tell) and again, floating right outside the Asperger's Criteria Box...

Last edited:
I more see it as a conflict of identity. I personally view it in its own way, not an outright positive but as an potential. Its made me into a rugged and hardy individual.

yeh exactly :s