Do you have a mental illness? | INFJ Forum

Do you have a mental illness?

May 10, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
INFJ
Do you have a mental illness?

I do. It is: Schizoaffective disorder (Bipolar type).

Do you have a mental illness? If you do, please explain what it is in as much detail as you want.

BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE INFJ TYPE

And, please, indicate if you are MALE or FEMALE, if you want.

Also, include your age range if you want. (I am 30 to 38 years old)

Thank you

Age during phenomenon: 11-13
Type: INFJ
Disorder: Hallucinatory schizophrenia

Genetic inheritance for me, most of my family has some sort of mental imbalance.
Nasty stuff, obviously. Shadows and flickers became all sorts of unsightly visions. Glad it's over. Off-topic inquiry: is there a correlation between advanced intelligence and mental disorders?

If I may, what is the root of your questioning? Why the specifics?
If it's for finding one to relate to, I'm sure there are many on the
various forum boards across the web.

29 year old female INFJ and bipolar. I've never asked my psychiatrist what type. I don't really want to know. I just try to manage my symptoms. The worst part is that I can tell I have some kind of cognitive deficits that seem to be getting worse over time. I have so much trouble concentrating and paying attention to detail, which is really bad for my job. Makes me look a lot dumber than I am. I also have trouble organizing tasks (like cooking for example) and I have poor judgment and do dumb impulsive things.

Reactions: aeon
Male, 22, INFJ, bi-polar disorder.

I think it was bi-polar. But the symptoms have been receding
for the past 3 years or even more so that it doesnt actually
really bother me at all anymore.

Use to be on the meds to get by normally,
dont need them at all anymore.

I have very severe ADD (not to be confused with ADHD).
The attention quotient (AQ) is on the same scale as the intelligence quotient (IQ). My AQ is 54.
I also suffer from mood swings and depression. Before I was diagnosed with ADD, I assumed this was bipolar. However, these symptoms are very common with ADD (and frequently misdiagnosed as such).

I am male, and I am middle aged. I've had this condition my whole life.

I also tend to suffer from hypoglycemic reactions rather easily. If my blood sugar gets low enough, I have peripheral hallucinations.

Reactions: Jill Hives
23 INFJ male.

Social anxiety disorder and mild paranoid personality disorder. It will be better or worse depending on how much control I feel I have over my environment.

Only INFJ? :( But I have problems too!

INFP up in hurr. :tongue: I refuse to be excluded.

18, female. Recurrent major depression, borderline personality disorder, anorexia/bulimia (technically EDNOS).

Reactions: aeon and Feelings
Since my MBTI/Enneagram twin Jessie has done it, I will too :p

18yr old female, major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorder.

Reactions: j e s s i e
Female INFJ, 16. Major Depressive Disorder and slight Cyclothemia, Social Anxiety and Selective Mutism, slight OCD, Bulimia [non-purging type]

Last edited:
Have all of you been professionally diagnosed or are you just guessing?

Professionally diagnosed, unfortunately.

Woohoo for mind-numbing medication!
Bleh.

ENFJ Female, aged 20

Dyslexic (diagnosed when I was 3). Since I learned to read and write at an early age, it got identified early, so for the most part, most people wouldn't guess I had it now if I hadn't told them.

It can get annoying though, because when I am reading something with unfamiliar words, I have to REALLY slow down.

Have all of you been professionally diagnosed or are you just guessing?

Professionally diagnosed. If I was just guessing I would have said nothing.

I really wouldn't know. After all I have been through over the years, I can say I do not know a doctor whose diagnosis I would trust in the first place. I cannot say if one would even fully understand me. Too many folk out there do not think outside the box in the medical field. The human mind or mente has disorders that have been recorded and studied, but there are way too many variables to place some people in a box with a specific diagnosis.

The extremely intelligent, the collector, the sympathetic; each has individual traits about themselves that could possibly be called disorders. Maybe those are things others do not grasp as of yet in a world where they could possibly be needed. Doctors are not always correct in their assessments.

Knew of a poor child was treated as mentally ill most of his life til his late teens. One smart doctor out of God knows how many decided to have his eyes tested. He was almost legally blind and had no mind problems. Such a sad but true story.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Male, 14, professionally diagnosed with OCD, depression. When my OCD was bothering me more I suffered from panic attacks when I thought I was eternally condemned to hell over things like playing a video game or even sitting in a certain way. It consumed most of my day and got in the way of me doing anything. I would have rare days when I couldn't stop thinking about hell or if I was going there or not. I hate it so much; thankfully, it's been reduced greatly by Zoloft.
I'm guessing social anxiety too.

I don't like Zoloft. It's only helped me with my OCD by making me feel more numb. It's hard to feel anything while on it.

Edit: My family has a history of anxiety disorders. I've been traumatized by just hearing about certain movies or books for years. It's awful, but I find that it gets slightly easier to manage with age.

Professionally diagnosed. If I was just guessing I would have said nothing.

I don't know if you've ever had a psychology class on abnormal psychology, it sucks. That's because most people that take that class believe in some way or another that they are mentally ill after getting out of it. I for one believed I was a psychopath, a narcissist, had bipolar, schizophrenia.

Not saying that professional diagnosis is any better, specially when they see $$$ signs on you as a patient. But that's opening another topic. I was just curious anyhow.