Do You Fear Death? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do You Fear Death?

Do You Fear Death?

• Yes, because I fear I will cease to exist.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yes, because I'm afraid I will go to hell, or something similar.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yes, because of the sheer uncertainty.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No, because I have no problem no longer existing as an "I."

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • No, because I believe I will go to heaven, or something similar.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No, whatever happens I can handle it.

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters
Fear is a word few people understand.

copied: This article is about the emotion. For other uses, see Fear (disambiguation).

A scared child shows fear in an uncertain environment.

Fear is an emotion induced by a perceived threat which causes entities to quickly pull far away from it and usually hide. It is a basic survival mechanism occurring in response to a specific stimulus, such as pain or the threat of danger. In short, fear is the ability to recognize danger leading to an urge to confront it or flee from it (also known as the fight-or-flight response) but in extreme cases of fear (horror and terror) a freeze or paralysis response is possible. Some psychologists such as John B. Watson, Robert Plutchik, and Paul Ekman have suggested that there is only a small set of basic or innate emotions and that fear is one of them. This hypothesized set includes such emotions as joy, sadness, fright, dread, horror, panic, anxiety, acute stress reaction and anger. Fear should be distinguished from the emotion anxiety, which typically occurs without any certain or immediate external threat. unquote Wikipedia

Some or most folk see death as danger. I see it as a messenger of sorts telling us our time is somewhat limited. It is how we react to danger that tells us if we fear death. If we love others, we may react differently for them. I see fear as a reaction from the brain telling us of clear and present danger. We analyze and prioritize this fear and react accordingly. I strongly suggest Godly fear as being a different kind of fear with more respect involved.

Quick note: for those of you that stated whatever happens you can handle it, I give you prudence; however, good luck with that when dealing with a loved one.

i dont fear death.
I guess i do feel 'been there, done that'. It was a very beautiful experience for me and there really is nothing to fear, on any level about where we go and what we leave behind.
I fear having regrets, or not living life to my potential.
Or not teaching/showing the people i care for/are responsible to how to be independant and make the most out of life, with or without me. And i guess i would fear the experiences i would miss out, if i wasnt here physically to share them with my favourite people.
But i do think that 'life is about planting trees under whose shade we do not expect to sit' (Nelson Henderson). What i do with my time right now is what matters, everything else is beyond my control and beyond my concern.
I do avoid dying though and i do take care of myself so that i can still use my body to the best of its potential when im aged.

Why should I fear something inevitable?

When people say they don't fear death I don't believe them. I used to believe the same thing, then I was faced with multiple scenarios where death seemed imminent. It scared the hell out of me. From being attacked by multiple people at once to nearly drowning in the ocean it's a scary prospect to face. I think it really depends on how you die. I wouldn't be afraid to die naturally on a bed or be told I have a few weeks to live. Natural death is an easy thing to face. But when you're dealing with a deadly circumstance it's only natural that you fear the pain that comes before death and the idea that your existence will end in only a few minutes or seconds. Preparing yourself for it is easy but dealing with it in the moment is scary. I know I'm going to heaven so I don't fear the beyond, just that initial idea that I will die in just a few minutes from a brutal savagery that my body and psyche aren't meant to handle. You should fear it.

Last edited: