do you expect to be abandoned? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

do you expect to be abandoned?

More than the fear of abandonment, I have a fear of negative reactions to my ideas. (I guess the negative reactions could be implicit abandonment.)

My approach now is to be very careful how much I open up. I have some really great friends, but honestly many of them couldn't handle it if I opened up. I share what I can, quickly learn their limits, and appreciate my relationships for what they are. Actually, I don't think I know anyone who can take all of me. I've just come to terms with the fact that I'm odd, and I'm good with that. :)

I used to run into that problem all the time, Madison. It sucks having to keep my inner thoughts to myself all the time, but I only value the friendship as far as I can safely share myself. Is that selfish of me? Maybe it is, but I don't have any other perspectives to work with. It keeps me safe, keeps me from being hurt. :eek:hwell:

unfortunately most people's love is conditional. i value honesty as much as i fear rejection so obviously this doesn't allow me to put myself out there very much.

abandonment is a natural thing when friendships drift apart and become closer. it's a pattern i've pretty much accepted since there will always be someone else out there who is willing to be there for you. for me that rock is my family but it also has to be yourself.

when we want someone who treats us wrong, we crave their potential and must understand not everyone is up to working towards that standard. all that matters is you try to be a loyal, trustworthy friend/partner yourself. it's worked for me especially when the "good personality" part of my interactions has been lacking.

As an INFJ, I now just expect to be rejected or to have people leave me after the initial mystery has worn off (very quickly). Sometimes, I sense that people think I'm too quiet, or too intense or just weird because I have lots of different interests.

Does anyone else just expect negative reactions to INFJ-ness nowadays?

I find it very difficult to find people attracted to our personality type. It's usually INTJs who like me because we both like learning new things.

I think people, in general, are curious sorts. Initial correspondence is easy once it has started.....getting it started may be more difficult for the introvert for sure, though not a rule and not always. Sharing with someone we like can be like a run down the ski slope; exciting with energies being shared more than anything else. As long as we are going down that slope with vigor and excitement, all is well. At the end of that energetic journey,
we have to face each other and evaluate where we go next.

All too often, we climb the summit for another frenzy. Halfway down the slope, we find ourselves alone all too often. Sometimes we feel abandoned.
The rest of the way seems lacking of potential for fun and excitement, and sometimes unbeknown to us it shows all too well.

If a commitment has been made, more is at stake and feelings can be traumatized. Sometimes we do not understand what has happened or why we are where we are, but truth is intuitively seen by those similar to us while questioning may be thought of by others of different makeup. We decide to honor our commitment, but the slopes are never the same as that first run. We offer new mountains and even newer sports offering rides down the rapids. The raft rides offer new enlightenment, yet there is someone in the raft always working harder than the others along for the ride, steering the raft around the rocks and other dangers. This can become tiring.

Many people choose to walk away from commitments so they can further enjoy the life they have without the hard work involved seemingly coming from mainly one source. :m114: :fish2: :playball:

Unfortunately, that can all too often destroy another's life in a manner where nobody else can ever stop that spiralling downward crash that poor soul is on. The feeling of abandonment has turned into betrayal, and the person left behind may never get over it. That can lead to bad and serious health issues. Believe me: it is not an easy task regaining control of that plane spiralling toward the earth for a certain crash, though it is possible!

In retrospect, it is more difficult for me to stay with someone than it is for me to fear being abandoned. I sometimes feel I may be the cause of all the confusion and pains, and would rather blame myself for any shortcomings.
I can deal with it easier, so why not? I am stronger. I am used to being hurt. What is one more time going to matter? If nothing else, blaming myself makes me try harder to make things work out. I can find myself all alone once again, though with someone I enjoy, love, and want to be with. I choose the more difficult path to try and make the best out of it.
After all, they are the one having to live with someone so darned difficult to understand. I have found it all too easy to be down and alone throughout my life; who am I to throw away the feelings of another just for myself? And for what? So I can be alone again?
Oh, get behind me, misery
Remove thy bonds and set me free
Walk not with me when in the rain
Your hold upon my heart refrain
Let not your grasp through torment try
My dignity, please pass me by
For if there was one needed me
Their faithful one I choose to be
:rain:

Reactions: sumone
I must say ahead of time, this question frustrates me. I think that if you expect to be abandoned, or expect anything negative you will bring it about--a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Why ever worry about being abandoned? Why not just enjoy who you are?
Who cares if the mystery wears off for someone else?

I'd focus on the things that are important, the things that I have control of, and let the rest go.

The ancient Greeks said, "Suffering arises from trying to control those things we have no control of."

You can't control another's reaction to your true personality, so what's the point in despairing over that which you can't control?

Last edited:
As an INFJ, I now just expect to be rejected or to have people leave me after the initial mystery has worn off (very quickly). Sometimes, I sense that people think I'm too quiet, or too intense or just weird because I have lots of different interests.

Does anyone else just expect negative reactions to INFJ-ness nowadays?

I find it very difficult to find people attracted to our personality type. It's usually INTJs who like me because we both like learning new things.

Nat, I relate. Age doesn't change the feeling. I'm approaching my 42nd birthday this week. I think I have to adopt a new strategy: give up.

Yes...I'm going to give up on trying to make connections with people because I hate it when I extend a hand only to have it knocked away. I think ultimately, most people expect me to speak their language and conform. It's something that I've been completely unable to do my whole life. So I must lobotomize the parts of myself that desire true love and friendship because it ain't happening. To desire...to want...is too damn painful. If I can turn that part of myself off, I can be comfortable with folks thinking I was a weirdo and live my life as I see fit.

I feel the same way! I do have abandonment issues from childhood and throughout my life and that causes me to be a little paranoid. Because of my fear of abandonment and rejection I tend to keep to myself alot. I am convinced that once people get to know the real me they won't like me anymore.

I make friends very quickly and easily but after a while I get the feeling that they think I'm odd. Which I think has a lot to do with my INFJ-ness and how I don't act like everyone else.

I'm wondering if they are really are rejecting me for ME or because it's what I'm fearing and subconsciously that's what I project. Or maybe I just have really good intuition?

Retarded, it could be a combination of both. I find too much intuition makes me privy to the feelings of others...feelings they may not be aware of, or ready to admit...feelings, that may later come to the surface. It's so burdensome to always be so aware. I'll know things before others, and I'll have to keep my mouth shut. It makes it kind of hard to have a conversation in the here and now. I joke that I'm 'ahead of my time.' But honestly, it's the truth.

i don't believe people find it very difficult to be attracted to our personality type, but i do think that it may take longer for the majority of them to understand us. we are severely misunderstood and because we use our auxiliary function to deal with the external world, it is not often that people in general can see our dominant function, or in other words our best side.

Rainrise, it may depend on age. As a younger INFJ, I used to sit and wait for others to approach me hoping they would see me, get me, love me. In my late 20s, when the few friends I had managed to settle into a 'normal' life (marriage, children, career), I made more of an effort to meet people where they were. And they were never where I was. That meant I had to engage in the world...almost ESTP-like...but it often made me feel even more like a freak at the end of the day because I was constantly reminded how different I was from others. When you get older it gets worse, because you realize this is IT. You were born this way. Other people were born the way they were born. They can somehow fit in and collect and procreate, and you...poor INFJ, will most likely be on the outskirts, on another planet, alone. I hate to be a 'negative creep', but I've given people many chances and they've let me down every time. So at my age (sorry to bring up the age thing so many times...birthday this week), I'm realizing it's pointless to hope for something I've never had - true love and true understanding. So, as I've said before, I will lobotomize that part of myself this birthday and never look back.

I figure that if they don't like you after you open it, it's better knowing then than wasting your time with them.

That's the benefit of opening up early. You open yourself up early, then can in-turn reject you early and then no more time will be wasted. Seems like a good plan to me.

More than the fear of abandonment, I have a fear of negative reactions to my ideas. (I guess the negative reactions could be implicit abandonment.)
After graduating from college, I went from one subculture to another subculture and soon realized that the way I thought was very different in this new circle of friends. What I considered normal wasn't normal with them; they questioned and judged my views. Whenever I am around these friends I avoid opening up and instead keep my opinions to myself, especially when I am just not in the mood for an argument or debate.

I was spending time with STs!

I understand, Madison. I've realized sometimes it's best to keep ideas under wraps, especially when folks believe you're saying the earth is flat. It's been beneficial for me to put those ideas into a film, a book, something else. Talking about it with folks who aren't ready to hear what you say, just isn't productive.

I must say ahead of time, this question frustrates me. I think that if you expect to be abandoned, or expect anything negative you will bring it about--a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'd focus on the things that are important, the things that I have control of, and let the rest go.

The ancient Greeks said, "Suffering arises from trying to control those things we have no control of."

You can't control another's reaction to your true personality, so what's the point in despairing over that which you can't control?

I can honestly say that I believe this ^^ but it's in the practicing where I have trouble. I try to let go and not to despair in general, not just about other peoples reactions to my personality. That isn't the rejection I fear.

The real rejection I fear is that of my children. I try not to think of it as inevitable, but in the back of my head I worry that my children will not like me as an individual. This is a completely unfounded fear, but it's a fear none the less. I worry that behind all of the discipline and being the "bad guy" my kids are going to end up not giving me a chance as a person, and will always only see me as a mom. I do my best everyday to get to know my children as the wonderful individuals they are and to show them who I am, hoping one day they will love me for who I am and not just their caretaker. I mean they're just babies right now, but go figure I'm already thinking many many years in advance.

I agree that this is entirely wise.

Fear of rejection is also a great reason to get a pet. The love of a pet can be a first step towards healing after people have caused various sorts of pain. I highly recommend it for all kinds of loneliness and sadness.

Last edited:
I have to discipline my mind to not expect rejection. I'm not sure if this is about typology though. There has been something of a pattern in my life of my liking people more than they respond to me. I'm trying to get over this. If I can conquer this and PMS, I'll be one of the most easy-going people around.

Maybe it is, it seems lots of INFJ's are experiencing the same situations. I do all the time. The nature of your relationships with people don't change, they just disappear or they break off and cling to someone else. Maybe it's just like someone said, the mystery draws them in and when it wears off they leave. I almost feel like the only way to stop the cycle is to make sure people don't have the impression that I am mysterious or unique.

I agree that this is entirely wise.

Fear of rejection is also a great reason to get a pet. The love of a pet can be a first step towards healing after people have caused various sorts of pain. I highly recommend it for all kinds of loneliness and sadness.

Both are extremely good advice, the love of a pet is the love of a human minus the complexity.

Exactly. In situations that I am expected to be in - like work - I don't feel out of place and therefore the relationships I have with colleagues is very very good. I get the impression they all like me and know that's true with some of them. However, when any 'extra-curricular' activity occurs outside of normal working times, a wave of what I can only describe as watered-down-by-repetition terror comes over me and my answers to invites or questions become incoherent and I subsequently become extremely self-conscious. I am both content with the socialization I get out of work but also want more at the same time. Taking the leap sucks out so much of my physical energy, the mere thought of it drains me of drive to do anything.

Amazing. Minus the drama, I feel exactly the same way. Very confident, almost too confident, in my status at work. But as soon as we step outside, the egg turns upside down and I feel like the awkward kid in the corner again.

I really don't care if I'm abandoned or not, I guess I've learned over time that I can't really trust on no one. I know it's sad but I've always felt that there's always an intention behind everything. That in the long run is making me more and more aware that I must stand on my two feet and let nobody see me as weak. I am weak, but only you guys know that because on the surface I am as strong as I dare to imagine.

After graduating from college, I went from one subculture to another subculture and soon realized that the way I thought was very different in this new circle of friends. What I considered normal wasn't normal with them; they questioned and judged my views. Whenever I am around these friends I avoid opening up and instead keep my opinions to myself, especially when I am just not in the mood for an argument or debate.

I was spending time with STs!

I had this same problem for a while. I got into a few groups of people and realized that I didn't fit in when I realized they weren't being friendly (most of the time) - They were actually being inquisitional for the sake of turning things around on me and trying to manipulate me (which they did to some extent). I learned to keep even more to myself than I already had. Isn't that sad?

I read somewhere that INFJs have a tendency to get themselves into dangerous situations because of being up in our heads and out of reality much of the time. This was definitely the case for me when I was younger.

Last edited:
After what my mother did, and how she has treated diffrent men she's been with while I've been with her... yah, I'm allways afraid I'll be abandoned..

I expect that all friendships and relationships are going to end, yeah. Sooner or later.

If it has a start, it has an end.

I don't expect abandonment...but it's probably one of my greatest fears. Very few people really get to know me, or even really try to, so the few that do...well, I would be devastated if something were to happen that destroyed that.
For superficial relationships, it doesn't matter so much. I'm very sensitive to a person's standing with me -- I can tell when someone cares and when they don't, and I react accordingly. It doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when I really care about someone and they me, and then something happens that changes that or makes it difficult, and I also hate it when people give mixed messages -- as if they care deeply some of the time, then not at all later

I don't expect abandonment; on the contrary, I fear abandoning others. I always felt like I was depended on, responsible for, and duty-bound to save people. If I'm to be a rock for the less fortunate, I can't be in the position to feel 'abandoned' or victimized.