Do you ever think about doing really bad things? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you ever think about doing really bad things?

I have really bad castrophic thinking like for instance if I am driving without my seat belt on and I go to put it on I instantly get a vision of a terrible accident I get in. It runs through my head like a movie! I dont know if anyone else does this but it happens Constantly! (This is my second post YAY FOR ME)

Yeah, I have that happen. Sometimes, I even wonder what would happen if I drove my car off a bridge or something, and let that play out; it gets pretty morbid at times.

I think that is called an existential crisis and morbid as they are, they're pretty common.

Last edited:
Hi all--I'm new here and probably promising to be awkward--but yes, me too.
When people do something really annoying or curse fluently (which I loathe) I imagine beating them up, or at least sucker-punching them... which is odd, because I was a total teachers pet in school...but I still thought those things. Always wondered about it. :flame:

I think everybody has these feelings at some point.

I used to have them all the time when I was little. I would make voodoo dolls and cast "spells" on people, wishing them harm or misfortune, lol. Sadly, a lot of my spells and harmful wishes actually came true--so I stopped doing it.
Karma is a bitch, I'll tell you that. If you think bad thoughts, bad things will happen to you.

When I do this it is usually to imagine what I could do in a world where rules and laws had evaporated and I was simply reliant on making my own moment by moment judgements as to what was right and wrong.

So revenge or making and example of someone would fall into that catagory. I often imagine being a lone agent or sniper who can pick off the people I think 'deserve' to be shot...

Then I come crashing back to reality and the knowledge that in real life I would never be able to justify that. But I think it's healthy to explore all the 'what if's' - any desire to act out certain things is contained within the imagination only and doesnt materialise in the physical world and in fact we can be disgusted with ourselves and it reafirms some of the principles or beliefs that we hold.

What is called an existential crisis? Why is an existential crisis morbid?
It's basically realizing that you are solely responsible for your actions and especially their consequences. It's the opposite of feeling like maybe, there's a spirit in the sky who is going to guide your car back on course if you jerk the wheel just because there's a plan for you.

I guess it's morbid because you fully realize you are a mortal and in control of your life.

Last edited:
It's basically realizing that you are solely responsible for your actions and especially their consequences. It's the opposite of feeling like maybe, there's a spirit in the sky who is going to guide your car back on course if you jerk the wheel just because there's a plan for you.

I guess it's morbid because you realize that you do have an amount of control over your life and death. I guess it's morbid because you fully realize you are mortal and in control of your life.

In a nutshell, its not pretty.

It's sort of like that... Ish.

An existential crisis isn't exactly morbid in itself. It's just psychologically jarring and crippling.

It's a point where one starts to realize that they might be alone and insignificant. They're just dust in the wind of the grander scheme of things, small and pointless. Without a belief in some sort of deity or having some reason to exist, things start to take an ugly turn towards looking at things in a negative light. Thoughts become darker, there are more "What ifs", you feel worthless, you feel like nothing you could ever do would actually matter. Eventually, complete and utter self-awareness sets in and you start to think you're halfway going crazy. Your thoughts are scattered, you're depressed and nothing brings joy. Existentialism is a very lonely philosophy.

It pretty much blows. I assume it would blow more for those of the feeling types though. There's a reason they call it a "Crisis" instead of a "Realization".

Last edited:
It's sort of like that... Ish.

An existential crisis isn't exactly morbid in itself. It's just psychologically jarring and crippling.

It's a point where one starts to realize that they might be alone and insignificant. They're just dust in the wind of the grander scheme of things, small and pointless. Without a belief in some sort of deity or having some reason to exist, things start to take an ugly turn towards looking at things in a negative light. Thoughts become darker, there are more "What ifs", you feel worthless, you feel like nothing you could ever do would actually matter. Eventually, complete and utter self-awareness sets in and you start to think you're halfway going crazy. Your thoughts are scattered, you're depressed and nothing brings joy. Existentialism is a very lonely philosophy.

It pretty much blows. I assume it would blow more for those of the feeling types though. There's a reason they call it a "Crisis" instead of a "Realization".

Yeah, does get lonely. It can be crippling for awhile. But then you (hopefully) get a hold of yourself.
The thing you realize is that you have control over making this realization a liberating thing, or a crippling thing... You're no longer bound to anything. I guess that's the optimistic view of it..

Let me simplify the above comments.

Whenever you ask yourself "why do I exist", you're in the first stage of the so called existential crisis. The moment you realize "there is no reason behind my existance, I have no destiny, humans are here because of pure luck" you are going throught the main phase of the crisis. And If you start wondering "whats the point anymore, the world is black and there is no meaning, whatever I do is my own fault, there is no santa claus" you say goodbye to the crisis and say hello to depression.

Yeah, does get lonely. It can be crippling for awhile. But then you (hopefully) get a hold of yourself.
The thing you realize is that you have control over making this realization a liberating thing, or a crippling thing... You're no longer bound to anything. I guess that's the optimistic view of it..
That's just having an existentialist philosophy.
An existential crisis is having the mentally jarring realization with it.

I've gone through several existential crises and each time after the first, it gets easier. Usually only creeps up on me while I'm depressed. It's been a while since I've gone through one. Easiest way to pull out of an existential crisis: Give your life meaning, even if it might be pointless. Just because something is pointless doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Hell, the reason I'm wanting to go to college is due to some realizations I had while in that state of mind.

That's just having an existentialist philosophy.
An existential crisis is having the mentally jarring realization with it.

I've gone through several existential crises and each time after the first, it gets easier. Usually only creeps up on me while I'm depressed. It's been a while since I've gone through one. Easiest way to pull out of an existential crisis: Give your life meaning, even if it might be pointless. Just because something is pointless doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Hell, the reason I'm wanting to go to college is due to some realizations I had while in that state of mind.
I wasn't talking about the crisis at that point.. I was talking about the next step. But ok. I don't really see where the disagreement is.

I guess it's morbid because you fully realize you are a mortal and in control of your life.

While I totally agree with us each being responsible for ourselves, I do think there is a Spirit inside me that will always guide me. It may actually sometimes put me in a position to get hurt, but it's for my long time good and lerning if it does so. It's a trust I have within. Total trust. :smile:

Wow, so that's what I've been doing all of these years. I've had that a lot, I think; however, it never really became a crisis to the point where I actually really considered suicide or anything. I just have a tendency to wonder what it would be like. Everytime I'm at the top of a high staircase, I look down to see where the best place would be to jump off if I wanted to die .__.

Personally, I only have thoughts about doing really bad things when something greatly offends my sense of how things should be. I get quick flashes of images, but these images also come with an understanding of the details behind them.

For instance, I was once very angry with a woman who turned my wife, her family, and all of the mutual friends she could against me for no other reason than she was jealous of the fact that they liked me more. I was very angry about it and began to feel that she should not be allowed to exist. I had no intention of making this happen myself, but I did get a very vivid flash of seeing her wrapped in duct tape to a very sturdy wooden chair with deisel fuel poured all over her. A few other images popped into my head such as a taser being pressed into the small of her back and firing, her being dragged from the back of a Uhaul type truck, and the remains of her being on fire in the chair. I didn't imagine myself doing any of this, and once I realized where my mind was taking things, I was rather disgusted with myself because I was then offending my sense of how things should be.

As an outsider's observation: It's interesting to see just how hard and strict INFJs are on themselves! I have never realized that you judge yourselves just as harshly (if not more harshly) than others.

I don't know any other type that judges themselves more harshly than INFJs. We judge ourselves more harshly than we judge others. As an ENFP, I can see how that might come as a surprise to you. I've heard that INFJs can seem quite judgmental to ENFPs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have that happen. Sometimes, I even wonder what would happen if I drove my car off a bridge or something, and let that play out; it gets pretty morbid at times.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought like this. I have also had thoughts about just jumping out of a moving car when someone else is driving. Just impulse thoughts like that. I also have thoughts of hurting people who have hurt me or my family, then I think better of it. It wouldn't be worth the guilt and pain to others.

In regards to the existential crisis, I think that's the reason of why religions exist. The sole purpose that there is a reward for being here on earth and hopefully going to heaven is conforting thought. Imagine the day that people would find out that there's no God, there would be chaos in the world.