Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
What do you think?

What's the purpose of this question? Do you?

FTR, I haven't read one unintelligent person on this forum yet.

What's the purpose of this question? Do you?

FTR, I haven't read one unintelligent person on this forum yet.

To see how people perceive themselves. I don't consider myself intelligent but that depends on definition I suppose.

Nope. I have a very broad range of interests, but rarely do I pursue more than a cursory knowledge of the subjects.

I'm a genius.

Savantism? What's your area of expertise? Winning at everything? Hehe just kidding.

I don't know much about each person, but I get the feeling Satya is the smartest person around these parts. One of the top anyway. But that's not everything in life! So NERRR! *sticks tongue out*

...I think I have a bit too much fun here.

Last edited:
I would have to say that I don't know much to what I WANT to know about. Just having great interest in great areas of knowledge.

Yes, I do consider myself intelligent, but I think there are lots of different kinds of intelligence. I also never find myself comparing my intelligence to others' intelligence (or my perception of it) in a more/less kind of way.

I have an absolutely brilliant friend with math skills I can't even comprehend. Her grasp of science & math is so natural and instinctive that she doesn't even consider herself especially brilliant (but she is). She can't find the words she wants to communicate with, this frustrates her. She frequently ooo's and ahhh's over things I've said, and envies my communication skills. I'd willingly trade half my communication ability for half her math/science skills.

I dated a veterinarian who was top of his class at Cornell. He was extremely intelligent, however he was almost completely devoid of imagination, creativity, intuition so despite the fact that he was undoubtedly intelligent, I didn't feel like I could learn anything from him, and he began to frustrate me. I never for one moment thought I was more intelligent than him, just that we had different kinds of intelligence.

just that we had different kinds of intelligence.
Exactly.
I consider myself intelligent, yes, in a certain way - but not in others (I don't have any practical intelligence for example). That's why I love rationals :)

If you mean "intellectual" (in the way most people seem to measure intelligence, whatever that means) then yes.

I'm at a "prestigious" accelerated boarding high school right now....and my lowest grade is still a B+.
Now, grades don't normally mean much to me (what's in a number), but I readily understand things that other people don't seem to, so that makes a difference. Also, people tell me I'm smart, so yeah.
>.>

There really are all kinds of intelligence. I'm an emotional and spatial genius ^_^

I'm a political retard like most Americans though. Also, being an INFJ I suck at chemistry and anything else detail oriented.

I'm definitely a fan of the multiple intelligences concept, it can be frustrating when people equate intelligence only to being intellectual.

Intellectually yes. I'm very academic and creative (music, film and writing...just don't ask me to draw!) But I have no common sense or practical skill. Ask me to read Marx in French and I could probably do it and understand it. But ask me to open a carton of soup and something will undoubtedly go wrong! I got the highest results in my department at uni. I didn't think much of it at first. I wanted to get the highest results so I worked hard (just wanted to see if I could do it) but recently I'm glad I've got it. That piece of paper is the only thing that can prove to the outside world I'm not a complete retard!

Heh, I want to be. Doesn't matter, I value wisdom more, not that I have any more of that :p

I'm definitely a fan of the multiple intelligences concept, it can be frustrating when people equate intelligence only to being intellectual.
Agreed.

I'm an intrapersonal thinker. I don't know enough about various topics and the world but understanding myself comes naturally. Well an achievement in this area is I don't really view myself as complex :p It's not one of those trophy cabinet intelligences that people normally acknowledge like good grades or being an articulate debater, so I'm inclined to put everybody else's talents on a pedastal and take my own for granted. Having exceptional abilities is not everything, I think it's wiser to do the best with what you have...perks are being relatable to the common folk. :)

I can't stand intellectual arrogance, when condescending people call others "stupid" or "idiots"...no matter what you're great at there will always be another area where someone will be better than you. Of course not everyone is equally gifted but I'd still like to think it still evens out for the most part anyway.

I don't believe in a single variable for general intelligence as a measurable thing. The multiple intelligences is really just another way to do this; instead of one variable we get 7 or so. I still don't like it.

I think we should be more concerned with what people can accomplish, which is largely taught/learned.

What people can accomplish? Well you know people born into better circumstances are able to accomplish more. That's a FACT. So you are saying let's focus on rich, privileged folks and those less fortunate don't matter. And actually, they should probably be exterminated because they are only holding back the more fortunate people.

And there will always be people with less and people with more(of something), so with your logic none of us really deserve to live.

There is no set number of variables(7?), but rather an almost infinite number of strengths and weaknesses an individual can have which makes them unique and desirable/important in some way.

If you don't feel like a genius, you probably should because you are valuable in some way and anyone trying to tell you otherwise is evil.

Last edited:
What people can accomplish? Well you know people born into better circumstances are able to accomplish more. That's a FACT. So you are saying let's focus on rich, privileged folks and those less fortunate don't matter. And actually, they should probably be exterminated because they are only holding back the more fortunate people.

Way to take what I said and run with it. Your "fact" is how things are in the USA and most other countries but it isn't how things have to be.