Do you believe in a heaven and a hell?

the13thmartian

Community Member
Jul 22, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find it very interesting to ponder about the metaphysical.

I have always asked myself if there is truly a heaven. I ended up believing that there is indeed one but is different for each of us. Hence, I believe it is a state of mind and not a concrete space. On the other hand, I couldn't bring myself to believe that there exists hell. I, being theist, do not believe that a God could be so cruel to create such a place for people to suffer. But, oh well, life could be a living hell. HAHAHA

What are your thoughts? Do you believe there exists a heaven and hell? How do you picture it out?

Last edited:
I find it very interesting to ponder about the metaphysical.

I have always asked myself if there is truly a heaven. I ended up believing that there is indeed one but is different for each of us. Hence, I believe it is a state of mind and not a concrete space. On the other hand, I couldn't bring myself to believe that there exists hell. I, being theist, do not believe that a God could be so cruel to create such a place for people to suffer. But, oh well, life could be a living hell. HAHAHA

What are your thoughts? Do you believe there exists a heaven and hell? How do you picture it out?

God is not as "kind" as people portray him. For example, it says in the bible that gays will not go to heaven. Like no shit. Many people say, "God wouldn't be that cruel to gays."
I'm not religious, so I think it's a load of shit, and I don't really have an opinion on gays, so I'll let you be the judge.

(Corinthians 6:9-10) "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Now, I know it says effeminate, and I don't think it means the quality of being "in touch with your female side," as that would be pretty retarded, no?

God is not as "kind" as people portray him. For example, it says in the bible that gays will not go to heaven. Like no shit. Many people say, "God wouldn't be that cruel to gays."
I'm not religious, so I think it's a load of shit, and I don't really have an opinion on gays, so I'll let you be the judge.

(Corinthians 6:9-10) "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Now, I know it says effeminate, and I don't think it means the quality of being "in touch with your female side," as that would be pretty retarded, no?
Maybe it does, the bible sure as shit wasnt written in English thats for sure. So it could be something lost in translation.

I don't get the point of believing in heaven and not hell, it seems kind of nuts to me... so if there is no hell, all people go to heaven? So why be good? You get in anyway. If you get in anyway whats the point of all the bowing and scraping to a god who is just going to take you in anyway? And if there is no hell, how can there be a heaven, the entire dogma of christianity is built around forgiveness and avoiding sin, so... whats the point?

Maybe it does, the bible sure as shit wasnt written in English thats for sure. So it could be something lost in translation.

Maybe. *sniff.*

Maybe.

Attachments

• This+one+Maybe+sniff+Maybe+_ca28de0615b278212e70a5c464bc4493.gif
    This+one+Maybe+sniff+Maybe+_ca28de0615b278212e70a5c464bc4493.gif
    280.6 KB · Views: 4
i believe in heaven and hell as concepts

i believe in heaven and hell as concepts

like multiplication is a concept? Democracy is a concept? Fairness,,,,duchebaggery,,,,,giving,,,,,

Heaven is not a concept, it is a place. (as is hell)

Reactions: Dr. Holly
like multiplication is a concept? Democracy is a concept? Fairness,,,,duchebaggery,,,,,giving,,,,,

Heaven is not a concept, it is a place. (as is hell)

not in my world, sorry.
they are ideas formed in the human mind.
they represent our deepest fears and our greatest hopes.
nothing more or less
please feel equally free to believe as you will

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Hell, no. Not the traditional place where everyone is on fire and screaming in agony. I picture a place where no good exists, and no one cares that it does. Burning bitterness. Heaven...like you die and go to heaven and hang out forever and ever? No.

Last edited:
Hell does exist i assure you! its right here on earth

Heaven and hell? Nope. I think they're very comforting to people who believe in them but they are entirely made up by humans and based on wishful thinking. To me it is the same sort of idea as back in the day people thinking putting a dead rat in your shoe would fix a headache or something.

No , as I don't believe in any gods I don't believe in an after life.

attachment.php

thanks [MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION]

Reactions: Blind Bandit

I am Catholic, well technically, but I've attended mass maybe 5 times or less my whole life. And I haven't read the Bible yet. My belief in a God and in general, of an afterlife may have been a bit influenced by the Christian environment (little because our family is non-practicing Christians) but more than anything, it is more of a personal thing for me... So despite my limited knowledge of the Bible, I don't exactly agree with some things written on it. Specifically, the non-acceptance of sinners because well, for example, sexual orientation for me, does not define who we are or how good we are as people... And yes, I'm aware that God is sometimes portrayed as cruel. And I said that I don't believe in a hell because if I'll believe in a God, it would be one who loves even those who have sinned. And if there was a hell, or indeed some place other than heaven, I don't agree with the Christian portrayal of it being that of burning flames and misery. I simply believe that there is afterlife, though I'm not saying I'm right because it would be impossible to prove that something metaphysical exists.

I am Catholic, well technically, but I've attended mass maybe 5 times or less my whole life. And I haven't read the Bible yet. My belief in a God and in general, of an afterlife may have been a bit influenced by the Christian environment (little because our family is non-practicing Christians) but more than anything, it is more of a personal thing for me... So despite my limited knowledge of the Bible, I don't exactly agree with some things written on it. Specifically, the non-acceptance of sinners because well, for example, sexual orientation for me, does not define who we are or how good we are as people... And yes, I'm aware that God is sometimes portrayed as cruel. And I said that I don't believe in a hell because if I'll believe in a God, it would be one who loves even those who have sinned. And if there was a hell, or indeed some place other than heaven, I don't agree with the Christian portrayal of it being that of burning flames and misery. I simply believe that there is afterlife, though I'm not saying I'm right because it would be impossible to prove that something metaphysical exists.

Yes, but who are you to change the foundations of the religion? They put that stuff in there for a reason. How can you call yourself a true Christian and start chopping bits out of the bible? What makes you right? And if (tangent) our morality flows from the bible, where is your morality flowing from now that you are going against what it preaches? If its because it doesnt work with modern life, then why not scrap the whole thing?

Despite the concepts of heaven and hell originating from monotheistic religions such as Christianity, these are not exclusive to those religions. Even Buddhism has its own heaven and hell, though these to them are not eternal... Anyway, my reference to the afterlife wasn't purely based on religion. But yes, I did cite the Christian concept of hell which I personally do not believe in. And if there actually exists a hell (if there is really an afterlife) then I believe it will be different from the existing Christian take on it.

Despite the concepts of heaven and hell originating from monotheistic religions such as Christianity, these are not exclusive to those religions. Even Buddhism has its own heaven and hell, though these to them are not eternal... Anyway, my reference to the afterlife wasn't purely based on religion. But yes, I did cite the Christian concept of hell which I personally do not believe in. And if there actually exists a hell (if there is really an afterlife) then I believe it will be different from the existing Christian take on it.

Monotheists didnt invent hell. The Greeks did. Hell = Tartarus. The original Christian leaders loved it so much they pilfered it from the Greeks and even had a showdown with Jesus and Hades for the souls of the dead. (I am not joking)

Even so. Are you A christian?

Reactions: barbad0s
I'm not changing the foundations of Christianity! And I'm not really such a practicing Christian to begin with. Though I embrace the religion up to a certain point... I never said what the Bible preaches is wrong, I just disagree with some of it. That is, right and wrong is relative.
I'm aware that there will always be limitations to how right a religion can be, or for this matter, the Bible. After all, these are man-made. You also have to take into consideration that the Bible was written at a certain time when many were pretty "immoral" and hence, the morality it preaches should also be interpreted in this context. And yes, Christians use the Bible as some sort of moral code but was that really the intention of it being written? I haven't really read it yet but it is after all, a narrative. I believe the Bible centers on how God relates to his people and how people could connect to him, more than the moral aspect in it.

And I never claimed that I'm right. This is only what I believe in. I'm not saying I'm wrong though. But yes, maybe you're right and maybe I'm wrong. After all, I can't give you a tangible proof.

Ah yes, Hades. How can I forget him. Haha.

Sort of. I mean if someone asks me what my religion is, I'll say I'm Catholic. But I'm more of theist. That is it is more of a belief for me that a religion, a way of life.

Ah yes, Hades. How can I forget him. Haha.

Sort of. I mean if someone asks me what my religion is, I'll say I'm Catholic. But I'm more of theist. That is it is more of a belief for me that a religion, a way of life.

Oh ok, If you're telling me you're not a Christian, that's cool.