Do we become more SJ as we age, regardless of type? | INFJ Forum

Do we become more SJ as we age, regardless of type?

rainrise

Community Member
Mar 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
each type learns to develop its less dominant functions more roundly as one ages due to new experiences (especially challenges) that call for other ways of looking at the world and dealing with people/situations than one is familiar.

yet, the question is based on the belief that the majority of people in the world are an SJ type and that therefore, most societies would then cater primarily to the needs of these preferences.

would it seem more pressing, if not more necessary then, for non-SJ types to develop rounded sensing and judging functions in order to survive or function in an SJ-dominant world, than for SJ-types to better their intuition and perceiving functions?

We develop SJ skills but it doesn't make us more SJ than we were previously. It's the same as, if you work in a job that makes you stand around and greet strangers all day, would you become more of an E? No, you wouldn't, but you'd develop E skills so that you could function that way.

Just because someone learns SJ tendenacies, doesn't mean it will become central to their personality. I understand what you are saying, but I think it is just about learning to deal with it, not so much as learning to make it who you are.

I actually have a decent amount of SJ tendancies (because of my high Si). I wasn't conditioned to be this way, I more or less was always like this (just had to come to realise that I am). Many of us here have a strong adversion to Si and Se. I think it is partly because we all want to be an INFJ and to be an INFJ as much as we can, hence we resist the possibillity of putting S to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: t56hg2bv
oh shoot. yes i meant more SJ tendencies, not a shift of type inherently. thanks for pointing that out slant and Indigo.

Those tendencies come out when I am very stressed out.

And Indigo, why would anyone have an aversion to any cognitive function or using any part of their brain?
You'd still be INFJ even if you developed them well, would you not?

Some people just have this mentality that "I must fit every part of the INFJ possible or people wont like me or believe me", and as such they ignore some parts of their personality because they either haven't come to terms with it or they want to ignore it and pretend it isn't. The reason I think this is because I was very much like this (and in a way still am, although not sure what I could be ignoring) for a long while.

The description should fit the individual loosely.
The individual shouldn't have to fit the description exactly.

All I know is that SJs seem to develop and then drop any NP tendencies as they age, they make the effort for a while but then can't be bothered and give up and get all judgmental again.

I imagine that the longer we live, the more things we are exposed to (hopefully), and the more we develop functions other than our dominant ones, simply because life stretches us beyond our comfort zones and innate abilities.

All I know is that SJs seem to develop and then drop any NP tendencies as they age, they make the effort for a while but then can't be bothered and give up and get all judgmental again.

Quin do you find/think most SJs are judgmental? Even the well-developed ones? :mcute:

I don't think so. Some can be really good people.

I work at the front desk with an ISTJ on monday nights, and she is AWESOME! We get along really really well.

Quin do you find/think most SJs are judgmental? Even the well-developed ones? :mcute:
All the SJs I know are pretty open about judging others, but that's not always a bad thing.

To the OP, personally no I have not become more SJ, however I have the ability to mirror an SJ when necessary (at work), but only for a short period of time.

Just because someone learns SJ tendenacies, doesn't mean it will become central to their personality. I understand what you are saying, but I think it is just about learning to deal with it, not so much as learning to make it who you are.

I actually have a decent amount of SJ tendancies (because of my high Si). I wasn't conditioned to be this way, I more or less was always like this (just had to come to realise that I am). Many of us here have a strong adversion to Si and Se. I think it is partly because we all want to be an INFJ and to be an INFJ as much as we can, hence we resist the possibillity of putting S to use.

That may be true for the younger. Some have stated that the inferior function of sensing as we get older starts to develop and we start to embrace the sensory side of who we are as people. I would add that as I develop more of my sensory side i find that I become more in-tune with with my intuition. It's like having an antenna that receives information from the ether and and as I embrace the sensory side the antenna starts to receive more accurately. The trick is to allow the sensory to come at somewhat of a spontaneous nature. The less I try to control the intake the more it guides me in a direction that uncovers so much of the world. Almost in a metaphysical manner.

So, let down the defenses, live and let spontaneity guide you to your answers. The answers will find you all you have to do is define the questions and let go. This might seem hard to accept but it has happened to me beyond coincidence. I know it to be true and believe it to be accurate.

No idea, but I've noticed I like to keep my living space in order though as I get older. I like to be able to find things whereas as before I lived in an organised chaos of sorts. But these days, I very much like to have things '' in place '' No idea if that's a SJ trait but it's quite useful when you get into it.

Im still in organized chaos. I'd love to have things all in their place one day.

No idea, but I've noticed I like to keep my living space in order though as I get older. I like to be able to find things whereas as before I lived in an organised chaos of sorts. But these days, I very much like to have things '' in place '' No idea if that's a SJ trait but it's quite useful when you get into it.

I think that's more aligned with th J / P dichotomy. But you were already a J so now maybe a little more than before. Congratulations.

I'm making the assumption that you're an INFJ.

I think that's more aligned with th J / P dichotomy. But you were already a J so now maybe a little more than before. Congratulations.

I'm making the assumption that you're an INFJ.
My type is very much up for debate.

Some say I'm INFJ, some say I'm ENFJ..Some say II'm ENTJ... others says I'm ENTP/ENFP And even ISTP. Oh and one said i'm istj whilst another offered me just to become infp