Do many people hate the INFJ ability to read others and dig up hidden motivations? | Page 11 | INFJ Forum

Do many people hate the INFJ ability to read others and dig up hidden motivations?

I agree. I try to ignore the mental landscape I'm imagining while interacting with people. It feels intrusive, and I also feel responsible for what I'm reflecting back to them (you can't observe something without changing what you're observing). It's kind of like imagining someone that is fully dressed naked, or not looking away if someone is involuntarily naked in front of you. So I try my best to see people as they choose to present themselves. As for me, I can't stand being 'seen' by ENFJs. I can immediately feel how they see everything I usually manipulate in order to feel confident and in control of how I'm being perceived. Triggers my nervous system like crazy.
My experience with enfjs as well. They can be very intimidating actually! They look at you like they just see everything. I don't think it's intentional because those I've known are actually incredibly kind. Just an enfj thing.

n my experience there are also good people who don't like to feel 'seen'. It can be tricky because an INFJ might kinda want to make them feel seen because they like them, so they have to be careful :sweatsmile:

I agree. I try to ignore the mental landscape I'm imagining while interacting with people. It feels intrusive, and I also feel responsible for what I'm reflecting back to them (you can't observe something without changing what you're observing). It's kind of like imagining someone that is fully dressed naked, or not looking away if someone is involuntarily naked in front of you. So I try my best to see people as they choose to present themselves.
I don't think it's actually possible to shut it off, any more than we can stop seeing what people are wearing, hear what they are saying, what their expressions are. For me, to not look is rather like suggesting we should shut our eyes when we talk to someone. What we do with what we are aware of is something else again and I agree very much with what @Kgal said. Just because someone has a strange taste in fashion doesn't mean we should comment on it but we still notice it - it's the same with how people behave. It will however colour how I respond to people below the surface.

Are INFJs actually "good at reading" others? It may be like the assertion that old spinsters are good at reading tea leaves.
LOL yes! You've really got what INFJ is all about .....

808c439bf310b2f52c22987562e306eb.jpg

Reactions: Kgal, Ren and acd
No, ENFP's are actually pretty realistic on their view on the world. ENFJ's have an incredible amount of interesting imagination.

Far from me the intent to deny imagination to ENFJs, but it seems to me they are more generally 'realistic' than ENFPs, due to Fe. But we don't have to agree, and I suspect this is due to different understandings of the word 'realistic'.

Far from me the intent to deny imagination to ENFJs, but it seems to me they are more generally 'realistic' than ENFPs, due to Fe. But we don't have to agree, and I suspect this is due to different understandings of the word 'realistic'.
So, how does one experience or understand the wor(l)d 'realistic'. We have different experiences, so I'm interested to explore.

Reactions: John K and Ren
No, ENFP's are actually pretty realistic on their view on the world. ENFJ's have an incredible amount of interesting imagination.
I agree, but I don't think they want people to know that ...

I my experience, ENFJs are better than everyone at everything except for introspection, which is not a bad thing. Ah, they make me regret all my life choices.

So, how does one experience or understand the wor(l)d 'realistic'. We have different experiences, so I'm interested to explore.

Knowing how to navigate society and its expectations, define and attain concrete goals, further their career, etc.

Dominant Fe is essentially synonymous with being extremely sensitive to what those expectations are, and valuing the fulfillment of them.

Knowing how to navigate society and its expectations, define and attain concrete goals, further their career, etc.

Dominant Fe is essentially synonymous with being extremely sensitive to what those expectations are, and valuing the fulfillment of them.
No, that's the textbook interpretation. How do you experience them.

Reactions: John K
I agree. I try to ignore the mental landscape I'm imagining while interacting with people. It feels intrusive, and I also feel responsible for what I'm reflecting back to them (you can't observe something without changing what you're observing). It's kind of like imagining someone that is fully dressed naked, or not looking away if someone is involuntarily naked in front of you. So I try my best to see people as they choose to present themselves. As for me, I can't stand being 'seen' by ENFJs. I can immediately feel how they see everything I usually manipulate in order to feel confident and in control of how I'm being perceived. Triggers my nervous system like crazy.
ENFJs have the depths of a deep dark lake within them and an enviable social ease that gives them an ascendancy in company. Our depths are much deeper, deeper than the stars and higher than the heavens - we bow to no ENFJ because we can see what they cannot, nor they to us because they click among people in ways that we don't. We are equals in our different ways - but their life is outside and they cannot see the magic that is ours if we accept it.

ENFJs have the depths of a deep dark lake within them and an enviable social ease that gives them an ascendancy in company. Our depths are much deeper, deeper than the stars and higher than the heavens - we bow to no ENFJ because we can see what they cannot, nor they to us because they click among people in ways that we don't. We are equals in our different ways - but their life is outside and they cannot see the magic that is ours if we accept it.
You see the same..

Reactions: Kgal and John K
No, that's the textbook interpretation. How do you experience them.

Exactly like I said. If my interpretation is 'textbook', well, so be it! It's how I experience ENFJs.

And to repeat again, I do not believe in the whole MBTI structure.

Then you should probably also get rid of words like 'ENFJ', 'ENFP', etc.

You are by far not the type of character to do that. (such and yeah).

Well, I could attempt a phenomenology of the ENFJ, but I don't have time right now. I'll try later, though. :p

You see the same..
No not really, because the difference between extraversion and introversion is fundamental. The 'I' of an extravert is on the surface of their eyes, both their physical ones, and those of their consciousness - you only have to glance at them to see this. An introvert's 'I' is so obviously looking inwards while their physical eyes look outward. Our experience of the world is quite different as a result and so is the way we orient to it.

Reactions: dragulagu and Kgal
I don't think it's actually possible to shut it off, any more than we can stop seeing what people are wearing, hear what they are saying, what their expressions are. For me, to not look is rather like suggesting we should shut our eyes when we talk to someone. What we do with what we are aware of is something else again and I agree very much with what @Kgal said. Just because someone has a strange taste in fashion doesn't mean we should comment on it but we still notice it - it's the same with how people behave. It will however colour how I respond to people below the surface.
Yeah, it's not possible to shut it off, but it's possible to ignore details/decide the importance of what you perceive, to some extent at least. I think everyone who's not a savant of some sort does this automatically though, whether it's a mental image or an actual image we're looking at. Moods and vibes however, that's something I can't ignore successfully.

My experience with enfjs as well. They can be very intimidating actually! They look at you like they just see everything. I don't think it's intentional because those I've known are actually incredibly kind. Just an enfj thing.
Yes! So incredibly warm and kind people (but still intimidating, yes). The most life changing advice I've been given, was from an ENFJ who barely knew me.

Yeah, it's not possible to shut it off, but it's possible to ignore details/decide the importance of what you perceive, to some extent at least. I think everyone who's not a savant of some sort does this automatically though, whether it's a mental image or an actual image we're looking at. Moods and vibes however, that's something I can't ignore successfully.
Yes it’s like seeing - we can avoid noticing to some extent. I tend to not actually look at people I’m not actually engaged with.

Yes! So incredibly warm and kind people (but still intimidating, yes). The most life changing advice I've been given, was from an ENFJ who barely knew me.
I had an enfj supervisor who was terrifying at first lol. Just seemed like she saw directly into you when speaking. At first she actually seemed like an introvert but that was me generalizing because she wasn't a bubbly extrovert. (We had an ENFP in the office who was into mbti and that's how we found out everyone's types. She had people taking the test.)But I worked a shift with the ENFJ supervisor once when we were short staffed and I learned A LOT from her in that one shift about people and their behaviors. She was very insightful and warm once you actually talked to her. I also had an ENFJ roommate who was a lot like that.

My brother is also an ENFJ and very similar temperament and behavior to the other 2. He's kinda reserved but has a lot of people skills. He is my go-to guy when I need insight into people and how to respond and react to certain situations.

Honestly infjs aren't initially intimidating like enfjs that I've known.

Enfjs just have this aura of gravitas about them.

Last edited: