Discussions on Rape | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Discussions on Rape

I agree with @Sali that rape is not always about gaining power. It always involves dominating the victim but the power is not necessarily the objective. Certainly the victim is not valued as a human being. I can think of one particularly disgusting example. WARNING: The next sentences are shocking, you may wish to stop here. Continuing. In some cultures, among ignorant people, there is a belief that stds can be cured by sex with a virgin so very young girls are sometimes raped. The objective isn't power over the girl. Power is simply the means to the end, curing gonorrhea.

There are different types of rapists. The power rapist, (obviously seeks to dominate their victim through sex) the sadistic rapist (gets aroused by causing pain in others) and the anger rapist.. who becomes so enraged at whatever life circumstances they are facing--that they feel going out and releasing that rage on someone is the only way to deal with it.

Three distinctions need to be made:

1. What distinguishes rape from simple sex, fornication, adultery, sodomy, sex with the underaged.
It seems the use of force/power over the unwilling party distinguishes rape from the afore mentioned sexual interactions.

2. The objective of the rapist; and the means he/she is willing to use.
It seems that all rapists are willing to use force/power as a means to having either sex, fornication, adultery, sodomy, etc... with the exception of the rare individual rapist who is willing to use sex as a means to exert force/power, to dominate, etc.

3. The difference there is (sometimes - usually) between the classification of actions and crimes.
Actions are named principally after their objective - so catching fish is called fishing, irrespective of what means are used - baiting/luring, netting, something called tickling and grabbing, poisoning, etc.
Crimes are named principally after the definition of the law/right they violate - so poaching is the illegal catching of fish, speeding is the driving of a car over the maximum alowed limit, etc.

Criminal objects vs criminal means.

The object of the action itself is criminal - for example, murder is a crime irrespective of the means used - poisoning, choking, shooting, etc. In such cases the criminal primarily intends the criminal action - utilising whatever means may seem handy at the time.
The means of the action are criminal - for example, simple fornication (normal sex outside marriage) in and of itself is not criminal in most countries - but using force against one of the parties is criminal. So, the crime of force is called rape. In such cases the criminal primarily intends to have sex, but forgoing the legal means - wine-ing and dining, seducing, etc.. has adopted illegal means - force.

It seems then, that it is entirely to be expected that in most cases of rape, that the action is principally about having sex - for whatever different reasons different people want to have sex on particular occasions; but the crime of rape is principally about the rapist's willingness to use force in order to have sex. So I would say that most rapists have acted so as to have sex, but that the crime of rape is principally about force/power.

So I would say that most rapists have acted so as to have sex, but that the crime of rape is principally about force/power.
I agree.

The "power rapist" and "anger rapist" seem to have the same basic motivation to me, they're both seeking to gain a sense of control by dominating another individual.
Power rapists usually work by coercion and pressure.. Making threats or pressuring victims to get their way.. It's more about validating themselves and overcompensating for their insecurities.

The anger ones are more physically violent.. instead of verbally coercing victims, they beat them into submission.

Last edited:
Power rapists usually work by coercion and pressure.. Making threats or pressuring victims to get their way.. It's more about validating themselves and overcompensating for their insecurities.

The anger ones are more physically violent.. instead of verbally coercing victims, they beat them into submission.

I would argue that those are differences in methodology, not motivation.

I would argue that those are differences in methodology, not motivation.
You're right. Power is motivated by feeling inferior. Anger is motivated by... anger. I should have just explained it that way instead of mentioning how they usually operate.

You're right. Power is motivated by feeling inferior. Anger is motivated by... anger. I should have just explained it that way instead of mentioning how they usually operate.

I wonder if people who know rapists are surprised to learn of their crime.... I mean, are most rapists pushy, manipulative, abusive people in other areas?