Difference in following your head or your heart? | INFJ Forum

Difference in following your head or your heart?

Sriracha

Not here.
Banned
Jul 14, 2011
MBTI
ISFJ
I am interested in knowing what fellow forum folks have to say about experiences when they have followed their head and experiences when they have followed their heart.

Did you ever feel there was a consequence to your decision?

Reactions: rawr and Gaze
For me this is how it works.
Always follow my head and my gut.
Never ever follow my heart. My heart is a moron.

Follow my head all the time
My heart is black as sin and cold as ice...sorta...yea..maybe more hidden behind all that sin and ice there is something...nevermind.

I lost someone I really cared about by not following my heart and not being brave enough to speak to him from my heart. I don't really have a strong regret, just a minor twinge. I wasn't at a place to be more authentic.

I don't know that I could differentiate the two. They work together as team mates.

My head and my heart don't speak the same language

Reactions: Gaze
I followed my head for awhile and it made reasonable, more responsible decisions but life was boring and sucked eggs. Lately, I have been following my heart more and I have to say, I'm a little happier and less stressed as a result. :)

Reactions: Sriracha
Difference in following your head or your heart?

Head = Logic
Heart = Emotion

Usually thats the case.

However for me its: Heart = Identity (or human soul), Head = The ability to process and carry out on information.
Following your heart in this case means to follow passionately what you strongly associate with.
For me, personally that means living day to day as a Christian as thats where I place my identity as a human being. So in everything I do is interconnected with that.

I am interested in knowing what fellow forum folks have to say about experiences when they have followed their head and experiences when they have followed their heart.

No. Usually when I'm passionate about something I use my head to find a way how I can achieve my hearts desire. In my case at the moment its serving in the church ministry as a missionary which will require me to study theology intensely and go overseas (well, I've actually been wanting to do this for a while). Strange choice for an INTP but I feel God made me a thinker for a reason, what that reason is I'm yet to discover.:m054:
So at the moment I'm using my heart and head together.

Last edited:
Following my heart: turning down a rull ride scholarship to my dream school for a male.
Following my head: ending things with referenced male and transferring to a different
school, though not my dream school.

Following my heart: thinking freja is dead whenever I haven't seen her lately.
Following my head: calling for her and listening for her soft little meow.

Depends on when, where and how. I think the two are giving one another the silent treatment. My head usually says to do something and then afterwards my heart decides to do something but my head already made the decision for the rest of me.

I prefer it when there's no crossover. When the two just mind their own business and make their designated decisions I'm fine. A logical problem needs a logical answer - brain, all the way! An emotional problem needs and emotional answer - heart to the rescue.

It sucks like hell when one decides to step in for the other though :(

Good question, I would agree with what someone else said "they work as teammates!" One cannot work without the other. I cannot imagine just following my head and not my heart.

I generally follow my heart. Granted, I've been hurt because of it, but I don't regret a single thing. It's made me who I am today.

My head sets high criteria so hopefully my heart won't be fooled too easily... But once my heart has fallen for something or someone, my head no longer has a say.

I have found my head to be more reliable than my heart. The two are constantly at war, because my head serves to protect me, but my heart will always go back for love no matter how toxic or out-dated. But to be at peace, I have to separately acknowledge the different voices and make a decision based on both. When my heart wants to rush into something, I ask myself "is this rational and logical? will this give me long term happiness? did this person/ situation treat me right the first time around? Do I feel safe with this person/ situation? Which will I regret more in the future- action or in-action?" I make two columns and write the pro's and con's down of both heart and head. This gives me a full perspective, not just heart or head. Then there is the question "if I have to divide my heart and head over this decision, is it meant to be? can I live consistently ignoring the other voice?"

Left to its own devices, my heart is an idiot. I try to balance both head and heart, but with slightly more emphasis on using my reason.

My heart is what guides me, and I use my head to steer along the path.

With some situations (one specific comes to mind) i'm confused as to what my heart wants. So i follow my head. Makes more sense.

I don't know that I could differentiate the two. They work together as team mates.

Same.

I don't know if its connected to the religion/morals/spirituality I was raised with - because the ideal is always to love (heart) doing what is right (head) in a kind/charitable way (heart).