Didnt your parents learn ya right? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Didnt your parents learn ya right?

My parents didn't impart the best of lessons but I chose to get over it. I was angry with them for a long time but when I directly confronted my father about the way he raised me I saw just how human he is.

It made me realise that if I'm going to blame my parents, I'll have to blame their parents, their grandparents, society and nature.

Of course this makes perfect sense. It also makes perfect sense to see what the faults are and understand them, for to truly fix something you need to truly understand the source of the problem(this applies to the other posters in this thread who think talking about faults is whiny and useless, not you).

Therefore blaming is not logical when you understand you are just one of the consequences of the universe. It's emotional, and we do have emotions even though some people like to act like they don't.

I think it's good to let emotions out once in a while, and then logically look for the problem in order to make things better. Only blaming and ranting is truly childish and useless in my opinion.

Not complaining at all is emotionally crippling and just as childish and useless(in my opinion again).

Good thread.

Mom taught me to have integrity, to make peace whenever possible, to speak and write properly, and many domestic skills that are now obsolete but still very cool to know (sewing, ironing, proper dinner etiquette, etc.), and to stick up for myself.

Dad taught me to change a tire, check my oil, work my ass off, how to drive, to treat others with kindness, to forgive people who do not deserve it, and practically everything he learned in the Navy as a corpsman.

Now if you guys come here judging us for being human, maybe you should give yourselves a good look in the mirror and find out whether your compassion is controlling you or your cruelty. Stepping on hurt people just because you can is one of the lowest things a man can do in my book.

Just let people share their pain. Noone here asked to be preached. We just want to say what's in our hearts and on our minds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Hm. What was your original position on this then?

Look at the positives and try not to dwell on the negatives, and respect that raising a child is a difficult, ongoing struggle.

At this point I'm not even sure if you actually care about the topic as much as painting me as some sort of sociopath hungry for online tears, so that everyone can rally around their valiant protector as he defends people's right to speak their minds.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't made a thread asking the mods to come down on people being racist against abused children.

Look at the positives and try not to dwell on the negatives, and respect that raising a child is a difficult, ongoing struggle.

At this point I'm not even sure if you actually care about the topic as much as painting me as some sort of sociopath hungry for online tears, so that everyone can rally around their valiant protector as he defends people's right to speak their minds.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't made a thread asking the mods to come down on people being racist against abused children.

Well, to me it seems like you are painting me as one yourself.

If you've read my replies to sriracha you would've seen i respect that raising a child is difficult and very complex, and that i don't look for people to blame for shit that happened. My point was that it's ok to sometimes release some steam and share one's emotions, as it is very healthy in a reasonable dose. I think looking at the negatives and the positives brings the best results, since when looking at the negatives you can learn what went wrong and improve, and when looking at the positives you can learn what went right and do it yourself.

Also, i don't think you quite get me, in general.

To be responsible, critical, respectful (even if it isn't always returned), supportive, cautious, and mindful of the world around you. They taught me to the best of their knowledge and ability. And although I may disagree sometimes with how I was brought up or what they think, they worked hard to make sure I could get an education, have a career, and feel smart (something I never really felt when I was out there wandering in the world.) They also taught me that despite what the world says, they will always be my home. Family never leaves anyone behind. Everyone benefits from the collective efforts of the family. That's what I learned.

My best friend wrote this poem:

Dredge

Doesn’t matter how small

Children remember always
They recollect all words said in anger
Recall every lack of hug or kiss
Imprint every slap and tournaments missed
Keep track of every scar inflicted in anger
Dent their minds with every breakdown and hackjob
They memorize your lack of empathy
Learn how to move along quickly to prevent the
Next beating