did God create the universum (Stephen Hawking) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

did God create the universum (Stephen Hawking)

The universe is a song

Its all to do with sound! AUM

Consciousness animates matter. The square and the compass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=oCmGjD9j9bU

so consciousness = a sound that forms our body and when the sound stops, our body dies? :)))) very interesting

but his theory is not completely right. Sound waves are the oscillating compression of molecules, so sound only exists when there is a medium: water, air, ... Since the universe mostly consists of empty space, sound can not travel through the universe. Only electro magnetic waves can.

Reactions: GracieRuth
We are transmitters and receivers of energy as is our sun

But sirius is the source of the energy

eye0.jpg

We are hugely powerful and able to create our own realities

The engineers of perceptions do not want us to know this which is why such knowledge is kept secret, but if you get to the core of esoteric groups these are the things being discussed and often these people are very high ranking members of society

We are not just made of star dust, we ARE stars!

How many people will want to go back and work 9-5 in a shitty capitalist job if they come to the realisation that they are a star in a universe of infinate possibility?

Ha ha!

Reactions: myself
[SIZE=-1]'Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities — the political, the religious, the educational authorities — who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing — forming in our minds — their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.'

Timothy Leary [/SIZE]

I really can't wrap my mind around this riddle ;-) and especially not how it is an elaboration on what I said
maybe that is just the point, lol!

I have heard the story before and I think it is great. And at a certain point in my life it hit me and I understood that there is nothing to search for. In fact the journey is never ending, we are searching for what is already here, we try to understand that what is not to be understood. By searching we run away from that what we are searching for. I think that is what the Tao Te Tjing is all about. Stop searching, be content with what you have got. Live in the moment, live life to the fullest, enjoy the simple things, enjoy the mystery of life without trying to grasp it.

But I find it really hard. To see the mountains just as mountains without getting lost in the daily routine. After a while I always fall asleep again. And then after a time I wake up again, see the mountains as more than a mountain, excited about the mystery of life. But then I realize that what I seek is already here and the mountain becomes a mountain again. But there is something different then. Something changed, there is a deeper understanding, a contentment about the mountain being a mountain and a joy to be able to experience it. Perhaps that is what is called enlightment. Everything is just how it should be?
But even that understanding fades away and I fall into routine again.... allthough I feel like every time I wake up, the puzzle is a little bit more clear...

by the way, I really enjoyed your reply!!!!!!

Or as I like to say "Welcome back to where you already were."

Here is another story for you to enjoy during your journey:
When the student first begins to seek enlightenment, a mountain is a mountain, a river is a river, a flower is just a flower.
When the student has studied for a long time, a mountain is more than a mountain, a river is more than a river, a flower is more than a flower.
When the student has reached enlightenment, a mountain is once more a mountain, a river is once more a river, a flower is once more a flower.

I heard the last part a bit different. I believe it went:

"When a student has reached enlightenment, a mountain is no longer a mountain, a river is no longer a river, and a flower is no longer a flower."

Maybe both statements are directing to the same truth, just in a different way.

If there is no time, there can be no change; the converse is true if there is no change time cannot be measured - or simply doesn't exist.

To go from the point when there is no time, or change/movement/etc. to the point where there is change/time a cause/principle of movement/principle of change/principle of distinction must be able to act/effect in a way that is not subject to time, or change. In other words, when there is no time or movement/change only a motionless/timeless (time-independent) cause can act. These qualities are usually styled: 'Eternal cause' (outside of time), and 'unmoved mover' (not subject to change/movement).

Stephen Hawkins, for whatever reason, cannot call this cause God - but it is more likely that this is because his notion of 'god' is defective, rather than his notion of the cause of the universe. Remember that he is a physicist and not a philosopher, or theologian.

Whatever physicists, or others, determine to be the cause of the existence of the universe -this is what philosophers should call God, or at least the manner of causality should be listed as part of His attributes.

Reactions: GracieRuth
As a Christian, I do believe God created the Universe by means of the Big Bang. However, I do love thinking about these types of things all the time. Although the only part I tend to disagree on, is the multiple universe theories. I don't have proof there aren't, idk, I just don't think there are.

If there is no time, there can be no change; the converse is true if there is no change time cannot be measured - or simply doesn't exist.

To go from the point when there is no time, or change/movement/etc. to the point where there is change/time a cause/principle of movement/principle of change/principle of distinction must be able to act/effect in a way that is not subject to time, or change. In other words, when there is no time or movement/change only a motionless/timeless (time-independent) cause can act. These qualities are usually styled: 'Eternal cause' (outside of time), and 'unmoved mover' (not subject to change/movement).

Stephen Hawkins, for whatever reason, cannot call this cause God - but it is more likely that this is because his notion of 'god' is defective, rather than his notion of the cause of the universe. Remember that he is a physicist and not a philosopher, or theologian.

Whatever physicists, or others, determine to be the cause of the existence of the universe -this is what philosophers should call God, or at least the manner of causality should be listed as part of His attributes.
Worth reading a second time!!!!

I heard the last part a bit different. I believe it went:

"When a student has reached enlightenment, a mountain is no longer a mountain, a river is no longer a river, and a flower is no longer a flower."

Maybe both statements are directing to the same truth, just in a different way.

I hate trying to render mystical writings into prose -- its usually a lost cause. But I'll give this a wing.

It means that when you reach enlightenment, your notion of what a mountain or river or flower has changed; thus the mountain IS "just a mountain", but different from the "mountain" you perceived when you began. I think this understanding is implied regardless of which ending you choose.

Bleacch! I already hate what I wrote.

... These qualities are usually styled: 'Eternal cause' (outside of time), and 'unmoved mover' (not subject to change/movement).

What you call the unmoved mover is what the taoists call Tao: "the form without form", "the invisible visible". It sounds almost the same :))

I hate trying to render mystical writings into prose -- its usually a lost cause. But I'll give this a wing.

It means that when you reach enlightenment, your notion of what a mountain or river or flower has changed; thus the mountain IS "just a mountain", but different from the "mountain" you perceived when you began. I think this understanding is implied regardless of which ending you choose.

yeah, i think it is a great explanation. I don't know if I have it correct but to me what has changed is my perspective. Like first my perspective is small, I'm indulged in little things like rules, comparing with others, money, ... but at the end my perceptive is wider, more free, like you are lifted out of your little drama and finely see the bigger picture, the interconnectedness and that everything is as it has to be. In that state the little drama has less importance and you are more able to enjoy the everyday things
It is only hard to remain this perspective while going to work and doing everyday stuff. Every time I'm drawn back into the drama again

It is only hard to remain this perspective while going to work and doing everyday stuff.
Ahhh Grasshopper, the day will come very soon when it is precisely these ordinary things which will be most meaningful to you. :D Very few ripples left on your rice paper!

What you call the unmoved mover is what the taoists call Tao: "the form without form", "the invisible visible". It sounds almost the same :))

Exactly. CS Lewis stated that the Christian concept of Logos WAS THE SAME as Tao.

yeah, i think it is a great explanation. I don't know if I have it correct but to me what has changed is my perspective. Like first my perspective is small, I'm indulged in little things like rules, comparing with others, money, ... but at the end my perceptive is wider, more free, like you are lifted out of your little drama and finely see the bigger picture, the interconnectedness and that everything is as it has to be. In that state the little drama has less importance and you are more able to enjoy the everyday things
It is only hard to remain this perspective while going to work and doing everyday stuff. Every time I'm drawn back into the drama again

There is a mountain that I drive by every day on my way to work. I'm in Canada and it is in Washington State but when I am driving over a particular bridge to work I can see it. It is massive and gorgeous. I make a point to take a moment to look at it every day to realign my perspectives. It helps. Kind of like an anchor, if you will.

It's hard to remain separate from drama because our Ego is so willing to engage in it. We're naturally pack animals, humans run together and it can be difficult to remain connected and yet at the same time separate from the scenes playing out before you.

and it can be difficult to remain connected and yet at the same time separate from the scenes playing out before you.
yeah also because to be honest I like a bit of drama ;-)
It makes me feel alive and sometimes even makes my day (if I'm not too blind that day)

Ahhh Grasshopper, the day will come very soon when it is precisely these ordinary things which will be most meaningful to you. :D Very few ripples left on your rice paper!
I truly hope so. Nothing is worse than longing for something that is out of your reach. I really hope some day I can be trilled with joy over something completely ordinary :)

Exactly. CS Lewis stated that the Christian concept of Logos WAS THE SAME as Tao.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

I think Jesus was a taoist ;-)

I'm enjoying this post immensely. :)

I think Alejandro Jodorowsky encapsulated something like this artistically in a really brilliant way in Holy Mountain, where the protagonist is a lowly thief who begins a process of transformation under the tutelage of an Alchemist. Long story short, he moves through a sort of an archetypal magical world, that symbolically examines some human follies with an aim to conquer the holy mountain. ;D
and...
"The most fascinating aspect is the ending where they reach the top of the mountain only to find that the nine masters are stuffed dummies seated at a table. In the extraordinary final image, Jodorowsky sits laughing with the novices and then says: “Zoom back camera,” which the camera promptly does, revealing the film crew and several camera trestles. “Goodbye Holy Mountain. Real life awaits,”
http://www.moria.co.nz/fantasy/holymountain.htm

That is so interesting. Can you recommend any specific book of C.S. Lewis' concernin spiritual matters? :)

That is so interesting. Can you recommend any specific book of C.S. Lewis' concernin spiritual matters? :)
The Great Divorce (Science Fiction: Souls in hell take a bus ride to heaven and find heaven not to their liking.)
The Problem of Pain (prose)
Until We Have Faces (Myth: the story of Psyche)
That Hideous Strength (science fiction: demons possess the disembodied heads kept alive by scientists)
Surprised by Joy (Lewis' autobiography,as an ecstatic mystic, progressing through atheism to ethical monotheism and finally to anglo-catholicism. It is the only known argument for G-d known as the argument from DESIRE)

Reactions: 1 person
I just saw a documentary about Stephen Hawking's newest discovery: did God create the universe?

He discovered that the universe, before the big bang, was a black hole. he also discovered that a black hole doesn't only absorb all matter and even light, but also time. This means that inside a black hole, time stands still, time does not exist.

If that is true, questions like "who created the universe" or "what caused the creation of the universe" are non-sensical. It is like asking where is the edge of the earth. Since the earth is spherical it doesn't has an edge. An event can only have a cause when time exist. Since time did not exist before the big bang, nothing could have caused the big bang, because nothing happened before the big bang.

besides this he also discovered the answer to "where does matter comes from". Matter that appears out of nothing is not something that we are familiar with in our daily lives. But on the subatomic level, it does happen. Subatomic particles can appear out of nothing and disappear again. But a particle doesn't just appear out of nothing. When it appears also something else appears: anti-matter, the opposite of matter. It is like when you built a mountain of sand. To built a mountain you need to take sand from an other place and eventually you are not only making a mountain but also a hole.
So if matter is created also anti-matter is created and when you add them up you are left with nothing. That is how matter is created out of nothing. For me this means that matter/the universe/life is just an illusion.

I think all this is really fascinating and pops up more questions. If time isn't as solid as we experience it (a black hole can make time go slower and eventually stop), then what the hell is time and is our life really linear or can it be that everything happens at the same time.

and even though he proved that you don't need a god to create the universe, I can't stop but wonder "what is the purpose of the universe, why did it start, will it ever end? how many universes are there, ...?

First of all, I enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread. I love the INFJ intuition. Excuse my INTPness if I come across as frank, or combative, this is not my intention. I am trying to clear up some misconceptions and be helpful.

But I think I should clarify a few points. Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man, but he didn't discover (i.e. observe) these things. He's a theoretical physicist. Also, any objection I make to the reasoning provided in this thread is not a direct objection to his theories per sé, but an objection to the way they have been (misleadingly) presented by the documentary you referred to.

Subatomic particles do not wander willy nilly into and out of existence. The statement that particles come from nothing is a misguided reference to quantum mechanics, which states that a particle both exists and does not exist in a certain state until observed. This leads to some very interesting and mindbending consequences, but is not analogous to saying that stuff comes from nowhere all the time, plain as day.

Antimatter particles do annihilate matter particles when they collide, but there is nothing beyond speculation and hunches to say that the reverse happens (nothingness spontaneously coalescing into matter and antimatter.) Furthermore, a great deal of energy is released when antimatter and matter collide, which intuitively implies that if nothingness were to beget matter+antimatter pairs a great deal of energy would need to go into the process. And where did that energy come from? Finally, there is the big question of why there is so much more matter than antimatter in our observable universe. This is a big debate among the physics heavyweights and involves complicated conjectures hinged on dark matter and the like.

On black holes: Black holes do "suck in" light and matter and time. (spacetime) Actually it is more accurate to say that black holes curve spacetime to an almost infinite singularity. But simply because time ceases to retain any significant meaning inside a black hole, doesn't mean that time doesn't exist at all. Consider this: black holes do not let light escape and yet our universe remains illuminated with the light from all the stars, black holes do not let matter escape and yet I am sitting here on a chair of matter typing on keys of matter. (I presume that I am at least) Black holes have boundaries. They are very distinctly bounded infinities. Yes, very trippy.

Now it is possible, theoretically, for closed time loops to exist. But it is as atrocious an oversight in logic to make a statement like "before the beginning of the universe, the universe was a black hole." as it is to say "before I typed this sentence, this sentence was about gorillas." Indeed an event can only have a cause when time exists, but have you considered that a cause can come about after an effect? This is a difficult concept to swallow (for me at least) but in any sort of circularly defined time scheme it is a necessary consideration. Okay so that was a bit of a lot to digest in one sitting, I have been studying this stuff for some time and don't really have it all sorted out yet. It is also difficult to explain things in English that cry out to be described by math, using physical systems as examples. So please excuse me if I'm not being clear, it is my fault.

Okay, on relativity: Black holes "slow down" time (warp spacetime) because of their massive mass-y-ness. However they slow down time for someone inside the black hole relative to someone outside the black hole. So if you went into a black hole and stayed there for five minutes your-time and came back, my great-great-grandchildren might already be dead. But to you only five minutes has passed. This does not mean you experienced hundreds of years while you were in the black hole, you experienced only five minutes passing by. So time being "stopped" inside a black hole doesn't really mean what it sounds like, because to anyone/anything outside the black hole time has not stopped at all. If spacetime is considered infinite or even circularly defined, even at the inception of the universe as we know it (i.e. at the time of the big bang or just before it,) the entirety of spacetime will not lie within the black hole, thus time is passing to some observers. This is because, with the advent of general relativity, we understand time and space as being intimately intertwined as one thing, indivisible from each other. If a black hole exists at all, it occupies some space and consequently some time. To imagine anything laying beyond the scope of space and time is a task left for someone with a much much much more powerful imagination than mine. (And potentially no humans could accurately imagine such a thing.)

On that note I should step off my little soap-box and add, that after lurking here for a while I have come across great and imaginative ideas on this forum. I don't mean to be discouraging, but the problem with (especially physics) science, is that if you seek to jump to the last chapter and read the last few sentences to see if the main character died and how the plot turns out, you will inevitably walk away with at most a superficial understanding of the science and thus your intuition is free to run wild without any checks or balances to ensure that what you are imagining has underpinnings in science, or just fantasy.

Yeah that came off as snide and arrogant. I'm sorry about that.

I also think it's important to note the limitations of science. It is not philosophy, as someone here already said, and it cannot do anything more than attempt to describe the how of things. I think that for these sorts of discussions science ought to just be thrown out the window altogether.

I actually prefer fantasy or perhaps philosophy when thinking about the cosmos. Nonscientists often put too much faith in the scope and truth of science.

Reactions: the
Okay, I love the shit out of Stephen Hawking and a lot of this is already familiar to me. Yes, when matter is created so is anti-matter. Based on this it would seem that everything cancels itself out and that everything IS an illusion. But who's illusion is it?
Yours.

I find your questions interesting- particularly the one about being "one" and that perhaps we are all part of one bigger system/being/machine. To go back to the question "Does God exist?" I find myself wondering then if we are all part of what people call God. Perhaps the entire universe, everything that exists within and without it is God. We are all the same, part of one entity, reacting and interacting with each other and our environment in order to propel something greater than ourselves.

Or perhaps not.
Without you, is the universe?

Weird phrasing, very old school type of question.

Basically, if your senses are forever turned off, in death or some such, who is to say the universe stops existing when you do? It certainly does to you. The only reason it continues existing after you is because there are others aware of it. Sentient life becomes impossible when the universe dies. Without the life, without something there to perceive it, the universe is more like a dream. If it's a dream, the dream belonged to somebody, somebody being either life or sentient life (I argue the latter, but there are many species with dreaming abilities)... therefore the universe was not created, it was dreamt. By us.

The question of god is philosophically the exact opposite of what it should be. It shouldn't be "what created everything?", it should be, "who dreamt everything?"

Also, we are very likely in a simulated reality as well. I haven't worked out the details of the simulated reality, but I'm convinced it's possible. And not convinced by those transhumanist assholes like Ray Kurzweil, even though I do enjoy dreaming along with his insanity sometimes. Maybe that has warped me a little bit, but I've always seen simulated realities as a high possibility. So why shouldn't we be in one? It makes sense.

That dream bit seems a bit Descartes-esque. "I think therefore I am" and all that. Actually I think that line of thinking lends itself more to solipsism than dualism. I lean towards this but have to struggle against it because they say solipsism is bad.

The part about being "one" have you looked into pantheism? Interesting notion. I think tao and holism and pantheism kind of have a lot in common. I could see Jesus being sort of taoist too, I never really considered that. :)

The earth has no true surface sub-atomically. Its just a miasma of atoms and elementary particles sitting in a cluster, no different than a wisp of smoke. If you look at the earth and the sun and any physical thing(s) it is blended into, not perfectly solid. Which is the reason why gamma rays can effortlessly pass through the majority of it. Even the most dense parts of matter are just atoms being held close together (not connected) by gravity and nuclear force. The earth is no more separated from the galaxy than the sky is separated from the oceans, answer? they're not seperated they're blended.

As for the point of the universe, well... there is no point. It exists regardless of us putting a point to it or not.