Depressed Extravert's think they are Introverts? | INFJ Forum

Depressed Extravert's think they are Introverts?

Animekitty

Regular Poster
Aug 28, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
People at INTP (forum) have been helping me to understand my type better. So i am now ENFJ. Can you tell me what makes Introverts depressed different than Extravert's. For me it was thinking people did not want to be friends with me. :m142:

BTW your monkeys are still awesome. :m032:

Are you asking what makes introverts depressed? Probably the same thing as extroverts.

Also, all people, extroverts or not, tend to display more introverted behavior when depressed. Apparently our cortical arousal, which ultimately determines how introverted or extroverted we are, increases under times of stress until that stressor is resolved. Or so I'm told.

I'm not a strong E. For me, wanting to be alone sometimes is normal ... but if I'm doing it because I have a desperate need to spend a lot of time inside my own brain, that means something is wrong and I'm trying to sort it out.

It's not pleasant.

If an introvert gets depressed, they are more easily able to hide it from others, since the degree of difference if how they behave from normal is much less than the average extrovert. No one notices that they're going out less if we never really went out on the town in the first place, or that they're not on the phone all night if we never were.
Conversely, they may be a lot less prone to open crying or other open shows of distress, and naturally are less likely to seek others in trying to confort themselves or discover whats wrong. The people around them won't notice that their friend/family member is withdrawn from them and looking sad if they rarely went to that person for help in the first place.
If the people around you are noticing you've been "different" or aren't around as much anymore, good chances are yours an E. The part where this gets sticky is if you've been depressed for so long no one who knew the okay you is even around anymore to tell you this.

Are you asking what makes introverts depressed? Probably the same thing as extroverts.

Also, all people, extroverts or not, tend to display more introverted behavior when depressed. Apparently our cortical arousal, which ultimately determines how introverted or extroverted we are, increases under times of stress until that stressor is resolved. Or so I'm told.

I think its more like this; Introverts find their inner thoughts stimulating well Extroverts find the outside world stimulating. It would seem to me that not having enough time to be extrovert or introvert leads to mental problems. Often when I had insomnia I would do my best to think of stimulating ideas but that just made my anxiety worse. An introvert I guess would have many ideas to not be bored at night. I have a terrible time keeping my mind occupied without external things to focus on.

Last edited:
If the people around you are noticing you've been "different" or aren't around as much anymore, good chances are yours an E. The part where this gets sticky is if you've been depressed for so long no one who knew the okay you is even around anymore to tell you this.

Many times I would seek help but because I got rejected so often I became afraid of being rejected so I just quit trying. Thats why I was alone allot. People thought I was shy when I was actually sad and afraid.

Last edited:
Many times I would seek help but because I got rejected so often I became afraid of being rejected so I just quit trying. Thats why I was alone allot. People thought I was shy when I was actually sad and afraid.
Well, if your first reaction was to seek out help, instead of immediately withdrawing from others, I'd say E.

I think its more like this; Introverts find their inner thoughts stimulating well Extroverts find the outside world stimulating. It would seem to me that not having enough time to be extrovert or introvert leads to mental problems. Often when I had insomnia I would do my best to think of stimulating ideas but that just made my anxiety worse. An introvert I guess would have many ideas to not be bored at night. I have a terrible time keeping my mind occupied without external things to focus on.

I actually agree with all of this, but that's because I don't see depression being invoked here at all.

I actually agree with all of this, but that's because I don't see depression being invoked here at all.

Depression and anxiety often go hand in hand. I wanted to be an inventor ever sense I was 6 or 8 years old. I drew many of them but non became real. That lead to a feedback loop of both depression and anxiety.

Ah, I see. Then I would argue that you'd experience anxiety first, then eventually depression in which you become more withdrawn (or introvert-like), and thus the cure paradoxically is to act against that introversion.

Man, if that idea is true, it would explain why people go out of their way to 'cheer up' introverts.

Extroverts CAN be mistaken as introverts when depressed.
Some will become more withdrawn and some not. Maybe it depends if you're a hardcore extrovert or not tough.

All extroverts are secretly depressed introverts, and all introverts are openly depressed extroverts.

p.s. Did you know that both "extravert" and "extrovert" are valid spellings? I love those.
p.p.s. There are too many cats in this thread. Good that I brought some pandas.

I think the confusion all boils down to most extraverts think that extraverts should be loud and therefore type themselves as introverts.

[MENTION=1833]enfp can be shy[/MENTION] is a great username as it's completely true.

All extroverts are secretly depressed introverts, and all introverts are openly depressed extroverts.

p.s. Did you know that both "extravert" and "extrovert" are valid spellings? I love those.
p.p.s. There are too many cats in this thread. Good that I brought some pandas.

And all ambiverts are secretly bipolar... xD.

And all ambiverts are secretly bipolar... xD.
Half-secretly, half-openly! (they have their own trick) ;-D Although I've never met anyone of flesh and blood who hasn't been (bi+)polar of some sort.

It could be wanting to avoid the thing causing the depression, like a bad situation, so you hide away at home? I just have my mood when I withdraw and do things by myself, but when depressed I sit and don't do much while alone.