Death of the Universe | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Death of the Universe

It is possible that one day we will be able to tap into our own energy fields to harness power rather than tapping it from our resources, even in the case of how other more evolved life forms than ourselves have mananged to capture time / space travel, it is all in their point of evolution from whatever dimention they came from, to our own. Yes I guess I believe in life out there other than us, and yes, it's likely there has been visitation...

Energy is just all around us. It is part of the universe like our blood it to our bodies etc. so no, I dont think we thought up the universe (wasnt saying that), but rather that at this point, we are sitting here asking these questions yet some of us having hunches about the truth, and one day, we will all have evolved to understanding the answers to these questions.

So then, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know the answers yet, but someday I'd like to know if my hunches are the truth...

Can you determine size of the universe deriving from e=mc^2
I am going to stab at it
(age of universe since big bang)-(change in distance from planets from each other)
i think i should find out: is speed of light increasing? what about the vectors, of the distance between the planets(this is the speed of light, to or away from)? are they moving to some direction, or is it random?
i think that the age-change in distance equation will just give a constant, i am leaving out a variable...maybe that is direction x light
got to measure the distance between the planets over time, is what i am saying

They use Doppler shift and compare the wavelength change and compare this shift of a star to other stars from what I have been told.

Last edited:
Ok, there are 4 possible ways the universe will meet its end. First, you have to understand that the universe is expanding away from a common center-point. What is expanding is not just the distribution of matter, but space-time itself. Think of it like a bunch of rocks (representing matter: galaxies, clusters of galaxies, superclusters, etc) sitting on a crumpled up piece of cloth (representing space-time). Now, pull all the corners of that cloth outward, slowly, at the same time. The rocks will get further apart, but it was the cloth (space-time) that moved.

Now that you have that, understand that recently astronomers discovered that the rate of acceleration of this expansion is increasing. This was a big surprise as it was supposed that gravity, which should pull everything toward that center point, would cause the acceleration to slow down. Scientists now suppose there is a greater energy that is stronger than gravity that is speeding the acceleration up (called dark energy atm).

Ok, now that you understand all that, I can explain the 4 possible deaths of the universe:

1. The Big Rip: The rate of acceleration of space-time keeps increasing: In this case, the universe keeps expanding faster and faster and faster...dark energy just keeps pulling it. At present gravity (which is relatively weak, just really widespread) is overcome in this manner, but if it keeps going faster, then eventually the (relatively) stronger physical forces: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force, will all be overcome. Basically, even subatomic particles would be pulled apart because the universe is expanding too quickly.
  2. The Big Chill: The rate of acceleration stabilizes, but the universe keeps expanding: In this scenario, the universe's expansion speed stabilizes (or at least doesn't hit the critical threshold as in the Big Rip), but the universe does keep expanding. Eventually, the universe would become so vast, and then combined with the laws of thermodynamics making matter equalize its distribution in the cosmos, that matter would become very scarce and extremely spread out. There would be a single photon (light particle) for every many millions of light years. The universe will then become an extremely cold place.
  3. Death by Black Hole: The universe stops expanding, and does not contract: Here the universe stabilizes in size, and does not meet the threshold for the big rip or the great crunch as below. Basically, the universe would just stabilize. The end here is that gravity would ultimately win, and everything would eventually be caught in a black hole.
  4. The Great Crunch: The universe stops expanding, and contracts back to its center point. Basically, all matter would become so hot (and small) that the universe and its laws would be unrecognizable from what they are now. After the crunch, there may be another big bang to start it all over again (which is the oscillating universe) or there may not.

Last edited:
Ok, there are 4 possible ways the universe will meet its end. First, you have to understand that the universe is expanding away from a common center-point. What is expanding is not just the distribution of matter, but space-time itself. Think of it like a bunch of rocks (representing matter: galaxies, clusters of galaxies, superclusters, etc) sitting on a crumpled up piece of cloth (representing space-time). Now, pull all the corners of that cloth outward, slowly, at the same time. The rocks will get further apart, but it was the cloth (space-time) that moved.

Now that you have that, understand that recently astronomers discovered that the rate of acceleration of this expansion is increasing. This was a big surprise as it was supposed that gravity, which should pull everything toward that center point, would cause the acceleration to slow down. Scientists now suppose there is a greater energy that is stronger than gravity that is speeding the acceleration up (called dark energy atm).

Ok, now that you understand all that, I can explain the 4 possible deaths of the universe:

1. The Big Rip: The rate of acceleration of space-time keeps increasing: In this case, the universe keeps expanding faster and faster and faster...dark energy just keeps pulling it. At present gravity (which is relatively weak, just really widespread) is overcome in this manner, but if it keeps going faster, then eventually the (relatively) stronger physical forces: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force, will all be overcome. Basically, even subatomic particles would be pulled apart because the universe is expanding too quickly.
  2. The Big Chill: The rate of acceleration stabilizes, but the universe keeps expanding: In this scenario, the universe's expansion speed stabilizes (or at least doesn't hit the critical threshold as in the Big Rip), but the universe does keep expanding. Eventually, the universe would become so vast, and then combined with the laws of thermodynamics making matter equalize its distribution in the cosmos, that matter would become very scarce and extremely spread out. There would be a single photon (light particle) for every many millions of light years. The universe will then become an extremely cold place.
  3. Death by Black Hole: The universe stops expanding, and does not contract: Here the universe stabilizes in size, and does not meet the threshold for the big rip or the great crunch as below. Basically, the universe would just stabilize. The end here is that gravity would ultimately win, and everything would eventually be caught in a black hole.
  4. The Great Crunch: The universe stops expanding, and contracts back to its center point. Basically, all matter would become so hot (and small) that the universe and its laws would be unrecognizable from what they are now. After the crunch, there may be another big bang to start it all over again (which is the oscillating universe) or there may not.
this is very scary, but neat! is any one of them more probable to the scientists?
also did speed of light decrease in the second one? or was it constant, and expansion accelerated. im sorry i just have a weird brain and figure things out differently

this is very scary, but neat! is any one of them more probable to the scientists?

The big rip seems the most likely given the trends at present. If the universe's expansion keeps accelerating we'll see the rip.

also did speed of light decrease in the second one? or was it constant, and expansion accelerated. im sorry i just have a weird brain and figure things out differently

The speed of light (in a vacuum) is always constant. All that is expanding is space-time, the fabric of the universe itself.

I remember reading an interesting theory about a non-expanding universe. Couldn't quote it or anything but it brought up some interesting arguments against the big bang.

The big rip seems the most likely given the trends at present. If the universe's expansion keeps accelerating we'll see the rip.

The speed of light (in a vacuum) is always constant. All that is expanding is space-time, the fabric of the universe itself.
what is space time, is it to the universe as matter is to humans?

what is space time, is it to the universe as matter is to humans?

That's really difficult to explain, and admittedly I have trouble visualizing (and understanding!) the entire concept myself.

A basic explanation is to take a description of the 4 dimensions of the universe:
There is a length, height, and depth to the world. These 3 dimensions form 3-dimensional space.
Then, matter (using the term "matter" loosely here) in that space is acted upon by forces, forces which change that matter through the medium of time, which is the 4th dimension.

So you have length, height, depth, and time. Together, they form space-time.

For understanding the expansion of the universe, it is enough (for visualization purposes) to say that space is expanding...the "boundaries" of the universe keep pushing further out. However, because it is space-time, it pulls the matter within it along for the ride (see my "rocks on a carpet" visualization from earlier).

Does that work well enough?

I realize that this is a long-ish thread, that I haven't read!

This is how I imagine it happen. A vast amount of the matter in this universe is currently spinning around these black holes which speckle our universe. This circling is really that matter slowly falling into these black holes. Because gravity from one source affects all matter throughout the entire universe, and because black holes are the only source of gravity that can't be escaped, eventually everything must fall into a black hole. Eventually, black holes are all that's left and these gravitate towards each other, and start falling into each other. (the very thought of what happens when 2 black holes fall into each other is mind boggling, so we shall ignore the implications. I realize that this ignoring is probably the main problem with my idea.) Eventually all the black holes have fallen together and there only exists one black hole. Here is where our universe ends (and the next begins, as I'm fairly certain this is where the big bang begins).

so to freeze time, you got to stop the forces of 4 domension? are they not sepearate?
to freeze time (from your perspective) you have to simply stop moving through the time dimension. However, all change in the universe (from this perspective) is impossible, because it would have to happen instantaneously according to its own perspective. Instantaneous is faster than light, and therefore impossible.

actually by Membrane theory there are 11. I know of 5, height, length, width, and time and a fifth that I integrate to...

so to freeze time, you got to stop the forces of 4 domension? are they not sepearate?

By definition "freezing time" would be temporarily (which is funny/contradictory/paradoxical since there is no time happening here) or permanently removing the time dimension as having any significance for the desired local area or globally: you don't need to manipulate the other dimensions.

In any realistic sense such a thing is not possible of course. The "force" needed to stop time would need time to give it a medium to act within, and that's after granting the knowledge of doing any such thing and supposing that dimensions themselves could ever be acted upon (which is doubtful...I don't know enough about physics to tell you though). Basically you'd probably just have to be in another universe that has different laws governing it.

Now, there are sci-fi-like ways of producing a similar effect to "time freezing." Stasis would be one of them, as would accelerating the brain's neural thesholds and capabilities so that you can receive, compute, and respond to stimuli much much faster (this includes increasing the body's capability to do the same)...speeding you up may have the effect of making the world seem "frozen" if done toward a limit.

But that's all sci-fi. Fun to think about for sure though. :)

Last edited: