Cultural appropriation | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Cultural appropriation

[MENTION=3799]bionic[/MENTION]
What about inverse appropriation? When a group takes something existing and makes it their symbol.

Possibly ruining it for everybody - e.g. the swastika

@bionic
What about inverse appropriation? When a group takes something existing and makes it their symbol.

Possibly ruining it for everybody - e.g. the swastika

Yeah... either the swastika or even the cross. The cross is originally a pagan symbol which a lot of Christians or Catholics are unaware of. It originated from Tengriism and represented their Tengri god. Its been used in many ancient polytheist cultures too spanning across Europe and Asia. I do believe the swastika was downright stupid and ignorant on Hitler's part.

I believe it depends on the subject of appropriation though. I'm aware that ALOT of it is due to acculturation, assimilation, migration, and colonization. Like... I'm half Puerto Rican. My dad is very dark... a lot of people think he is black and PRs do have African roots in them. There is a dish we make in my culture called "Mofongo". It's fried plantains and a shit ton of starchy veggies, chicken broth, various poultry, and native spices. It originated from Western Africa and when the Spanish brought the African slaves over, it was introduced. Now today, since Dominicans fled from Rafael Trujillo's reign in the 60s to NYC (and moved into PRican neighborhoods) or PR, they have acculturated it as their own and make their own versions of it. I don't find this to be offensive because I see it as the effect of migration.

I feel like none of this is black and white. If you've appropriated something and have offended someone along the way, you simply have a responsibility to educate yourself and apologize.

[MENTION=4115]Lark[/MENTION], what do you mean by "loot the world culture"?

Take what they want from where ever they find it.

I think somebody non-ironically fancies themselves as this
[video=youtube;sra1fSYaGUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sra1fSYaGUs[/video]