Cold showers!

eNeM

<font color=#33FF33>Community Member</font>
Mar 21, 2010
MBTI
INTeeeeeeJ
Enneagram
9w1
For the past year or so I've switched between taking cold and hot showers, now I'm starting to take cold showers only. Does anyone else do this? I've decided to start doing it because hot showers make me extremely sleepy. Cold showers also have health benefits, I'll list some off here.

• Brings blood to the capillaries, therefore increasing circulation throughout the body.
  • Cleans the circulatory system.
  • Reduces blood pressure on internal organs.
  • Provides flushing for the organs and provides a new supply of blood.
  • Strengthens the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems.
  • Contracts the muscles to eliminate toxins and poisonous wastes.
  • Strengthens the mucous membranes, which help resist hay fever, allergies, colds, coughs.
Some have also said that it helps with anxiety and depression. If I notice any change for me with that, I'll be sure to post about it. If you do decide to take cold showers, I'll say some things you will notice during the shower. When you first step in, it's a shock to your body but don't freak out, just stay under the water, breathe, and your body will begin to adjust. The most sensitive spots for me seem to be my chest, and head.

I'm beginning to love cold showers and maybe this post will make some of you consider taking them. If not, enjoy your hot showers!

I hate cold showers. I always like them warm.

Where did you get this information? If it is true, I'll try it, but I want to see good evidence first before I give up my warm showers.

For the past year or so I've switched between taking cold and hot showers, now I'm starting to take cold showers only. Does anyone else do this? I've decided to start doing it because hot showers make me extremely sleepy. Cold showers also have health benefits, I'll list some off here.

• Brings blood to the capillaries, therefore increasing circulation throughout the body.
  • Cleans the circulatory system.
  • Reduces blood pressure on internal organs.
  • Provides flushing for the organs and provides a new supply of blood.
  • Strengthens the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems.
  • Contracts the muscles to eliminate toxins and poisonous wastes.
  • Strengthens the mucous membranes, which help resist hay fever, allergies, colds, coughs.
Some have also said that it helps with anxiety and depression. If I notice any change for me with that, I'll be sure to post about it. If you do decide to take cold showers, I'll say some things you will notice during the shower. When you first step in, it's a shock to your body but don't freak out, just stay under the water, breathe, and your body will begin to adjust. The most sensitive spots for me seem to be my chest, and head.

I'm beginning to love cold showers and maybe this post will make some of you consider taking them. If not, enjoy your hot showers!

I usually take luke-warm/hot showers but I used to take cold showers in my child hood and it was really good for the reasons listed above. Also good for the skin, yo! Maybe I should start taking cold showers everyday!

How cold is cold though? I consider luke warm cold, does it need to be ice cold IE No heat at all

Hmm, I'm extremely skeptical about this, mostly because my immune system is so shabby a little cold water can make me get a cold unless it's over 30 C in my immediate environment.

What about acclimatisation to the switch? I imagine people with heart problems wouldn't benefit in particular from the shock of cold water.

cold showers are great, clothes feel so warm afterwards, lol. apart from what eNeM mentioned, they're also really good for your skin and hair, especially if you blow dry or straighten/curl your hair afterwards. and i've read stories of people bathing in freezing cold water to lose weight, your body expends a huge amount of energy trying to maintain a stable internal temp.

@Dragon: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/showers.html, that is where I got the information. Pretty much just googling cold shower health benefits will get you a ton of stuff you can read about.

@Reon: I'm not sure how cold it has to be but mine definitely aren't lukewarm. I could probably find exactly how cold if I looked around the internet some, I'll try to get back to you on this.

@Peppermint: Thanks for bringing up the heart thing. I should have mentioned this in my original post, people with heart problems should not be taking cold showers. Forgive me for my lack of vocabulary but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking when you say "What about acclimatisation to the switch?". Can you explain that for me?

What about acclimatisation to the switch?". Can you explain that for me?

The body getting used to a (possibly drastic) change of temperature.

Ah thanks. Well from what I've read the body won't be fully adapted for a few weeks. Before that you may shiver, and you will always feel shock when you step in. You just have to make sure to breathe when you step in, it feels as if you're almost gasping for air. If you sit under the water for a few minutes the shock passes and you can go on about showering. You don't have to start cold showers right away either, I've read about people slowly dropping the temperature each shower until it's a cold shower.

I take cold showers in the winter, but in the summer I take hot showers. It makes me feel a lot cooler afterwards, so that's why. Plus, it helps relax my muscles after a good work out and keeps me from getting sore the next day.

I'll take a warm shower thanks.
I do like the odd cold shower in the summer though.

I take cold showers in the winter, but in the summer I take hot showers. It makes me feel a lot cooler afterwards, so that's why. Plus, it helps relax my muscles after a good work out and keeps me from getting sore the next day.
Opposite.
I'll take a warm shower thanks.
I do like the odd cold shower in the summer though.
Likewise.

I take cold showers in Summer, warm in Winter. The cold climate and my non-use of heating in Winter help my circulation plenty enough!

I was inspired by this thread! I took a cold shower (No heat at all) and it didn't take me more than a minute to adjust (Now, I've been taking cold showers up until maybe 8th grade, though, so it's not a unique experience.) I feel a little bit better than I typically do from a luke warm/hot shower, more relaxed, but I don't think anything more than that happened.

I take cold showers in the summer usually.

hmm. gonna try that tml morn

Hrm, curious.

Always hated cold showers, because in a place as cold and wet as this, well , it's not exactly a new feeling, and it makes going outside twice as bad:X

Hrm, if the above benefits are true, I may consider it, though I much prefer warm showers<<

Warm/luke-warm showers for me (depending on the time of year), though I always run it cold at the end these days to cool my blood down (I itch like crazy if I don't).

As hot as I can stand it during winter.
Cold/Luke in summer.

I thought when you were cold your body sucked the blood further inside your body to conserve heat?

Anyways I take coldish showers after runs because I feel that my body gets too hot and I want it to cool down.

Last edited:
Reactions: bamf
Am I weird for taking warm showers after going on runs in a warm climate?

I thought when you were cold your body sucked the blood further inside your body to conserve heat?

Yes, and is isn't it also the case that when you're hot, your blood decoagulates in order to cool your body faster?