Cognitive Functions (which one(s)?) | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Functions (which one(s)?)

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by rawr, Feb 9, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by rawr
  1. rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    Hey, I have been doing some research on cognitive functions (Ni, Fe, Si, Te, et al.) and have found little tidbits here and there, haven't hit the mother lode yet though, but im slowly getting the concepts of the different cognitive functions. (Jung was a genius!)
    Anyway, when you are profiling someone for example, what cognitive function(s) are you using? Like when you try to take all the little things they have said and synthesize it into one larger profile or character sketch of a person that actually goes beyond the surface...

does what i'm saying make any sense?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    When I am "scanning" someone, it is almost entirely Ni. This is just my method of doing this, other people use different methods.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Outside

Outside Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    This process differs from person to person, but you seem to be describing Ni. I think this would take all of their speech and mannerisms as a whole (I always think of TV snow when I think of Ni) and then form a person out it.

I'd say ultimately, we use at least two functions to profile people. Ni and Si can be mitigated in judgment to some extent by Fe and Te, and Fi and Ti can help draw judgment to observation from Ne and Se. Then there are lower functions in the "hierarchy" of each type, though I'd say they just are indefinitely suspended deeper under water, so they bob up and down doing little things that we don't notice all the time in conjunction.

4. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I don't usually feel confortable typing people, though I do look for tendencies that I've learned about. People watching is a big one I've picked up on, as I watch people i find them watching other people(and then there is an awkward moment when our eyes look at each other then look away).

luckly it's actually a requirement to take the MBTI in one of the classes that is essential to every degree FCC offers. So if I can build up the courage, I usualy ask.

5. WaeV

WaeV Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    -+/=
    Enneagram:
    Probably Ni. I try to avoid using Te on people - it's totally out of it's league for that sort of thing. Gets 'em all wrong.

6. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Ni.

The thing to understand about using Ni is that it is subconcsious pattern recognition that searches for the truth. It requires that we take in the pattern before it can find the answer, so you have to interact with a person for a while, and then all of a sudden things will just become clear.

Then Ti, followed by Fe.

To best read the patterns in individuals, you need to understand the system of cognitive functions. As you focus on understanding cognitive functions and learn more about them with Ti, you'll make inductions with Ni, which will then allow your Fe to form opinions on these things. Once your Fe is on board, your Ni will be turbocharged because instead of 'looking' for individual insights logically, you'll be 'feeling' them and taking them en masse.

We have perhaps the most incredible set of cognitive functions for reading people, but unlike other types we have to invest in time to understand the systems before we can see the patterns. Once we start to develop understanding of the systems, we're far more accurate than the other types at this craft. Just remember to allow yourself the time to take in the systems, but most importantly, allow yourself the ability to refine what you understand as you go. I often compare it to slowly bringing things into greater and greater focus. Fe can sometimes get in the way of this by feeling that something must be a certain way. The best use of Fe for us is to use it almost as a perception function, feeling our surroundings, which amplifies our Ni to a degree that most people consider 'psychic'.

I hope this explains things a little better. It took me about a year of independent study to really get a handle on things, and I'm still refining and perfecting my focus on these patterns and systems.

#6 VH, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  7. OP
    rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    thanks for your input everyone, i really appreciate it! so for the typical INFJ (if there is such a thing) the predominant function used in what i described at the beginning of the thread would probably be Ni?
    interesting...

8. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so

It has to be. Otherwise, it's not an INFJ.

However, until we can wrap our Ni around a system, we use Ti extensively. I think that's the stage you're in right now... using Ti to build an understanding of the system so you can then use Ni to just pick up on these things.

#8 VH, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  9. OP
    rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    :m092: can someone be kind enough to give me some examples of Ne vs Ni? Not descriptions (well those too, but examples?) Maybe real life scenarios or what process would do what in a certain situation, etc.
    does that make any sense?

10. jlynnr

jlynnr Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    InFP
    (I also want to know the answer to this question)

I've discovered that I use Se, Ti, and Fi pretty extensively - gathering information and then fitting it into a framework of potential values - modifying that framework if new, conflicting information is discovered.
    I try not to use intuition too much, as I've recently discovered that using it too much sends me down a slippery slope into non-reality...but sometimes it crops up anyways. After all, despite my recent S turn, I am fundamentally an INFP...

11. DefectiveCreative

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5 so/sx
  12. OP
    rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    Raccoon Love and I had another question about cognitive processes. Attached is a chat log with a portion of one of our discussions. We were wondering what your thoughts were on which cognitive processes these would be, and why. Also, have you had similar experiences or operate similarly at times?

~~An interesting converstion Raccoon Love and I had. Collin=RememberWhenItRained, Raccoon Love=Gabriel~~

your thoughts? :)

#12 rawr, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  13. Adymus

Adymus Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Simply put, all of them at the same time.

Ne collects the data, and Ti resonates with it's logical consistency, all the while Si is noting everything that is being said and putting it in sequential order, as well as sending back data of what it all means, as well as what they are trying to communicate through facial gestures. (That last part is technically Si-Fe.)