rawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2010
Earth
MBTI
IxTP
Enneagram
human
Hey, I have been doing some research on cognitive functions (Ni, Fe, Si, Te, et al.) and have found little tidbits here and there, haven't hit the mother lode yet though, but im slowly getting the concepts of the different cognitive functions. (Jung was a genius!)
Anyway, when you are profiling someone for example, what cognitive function(s) are you using? Like when you try to take all the little things they have said and synthesize it into one larger profile or character sketch of a person that actually goes beyond the surface...

does what i'm saying make any sense?

Reactions: Jexocuha
When I am "scanning" someone, it is almost entirely Ni. This is just my method of doing this, other people use different methods.

This process differs from person to person, but you seem to be describing Ni. I think this would take all of their speech and mannerisms as a whole (I always think of TV snow when I think of Ni) and then form a person out it.

I'd say ultimately, we use at least two functions to profile people. Ni and Si can be mitigated in judgment to some extent by Fe and Te, and Fi and Ti can help draw judgment to observation from Ne and Se. Then there are lower functions in the "hierarchy" of each type, though I'd say they just are indefinitely suspended deeper under water, so they bob up and down doing little things that we don't notice all the time in conjunction.

I don't usually feel confortable typing people, though I do look for tendencies that I've learned about. People watching is a big one I've picked up on, as I watch people i find them watching other people(and then there is an awkward moment when our eyes look at each other then look away).

luckly it's actually a requirement to take the MBTI in one of the classes that is essential to every degree FCC offers. So if I can build up the courage, I usualy ask.

Probably Ni. I try to avoid using Te on people - it's totally out of it's league for that sort of thing. Gets 'em all wrong.

Ni.

The thing to understand about using Ni is that it is subconcsious pattern recognition that searches for the truth. It requires that we take in the pattern before it can find the answer, so you have to interact with a person for a while, and then all of a sudden things will just become clear.

Then Ti, followed by Fe.

To best read the patterns in individuals, you need to understand the system of cognitive functions. As you focus on understanding cognitive functions and learn more about them with Ti, you'll make inductions with Ni, which will then allow your Fe to form opinions on these things. Once your Fe is on board, your Ni will be turbocharged because instead of 'looking' for individual insights logically, you'll be 'feeling' them and taking them en masse.

We have perhaps the most incredible set of cognitive functions for reading people, but unlike other types we have to invest in time to understand the systems before we can see the patterns. Once we start to develop understanding of the systems, we're far more accurate than the other types at this craft. Just remember to allow yourself the time to take in the systems, but most importantly, allow yourself the ability to refine what you understand as you go. I often compare it to slowly bringing things into greater and greater focus. Fe can sometimes get in the way of this by feeling that something must be a certain way. The best use of Fe for us is to use it almost as a perception function, feeling our surroundings, which amplifies our Ni to a degree that most people consider 'psychic'.

I hope this explains things a little better. It took me about a year of independent study to really get a handle on things, and I'm still refining and perfecting my focus on these patterns and systems.

Last edited:
thanks for your input everyone, i really appreciate it! so for the typical INFJ (if there is such a thing) the predominant function used in what i described at the beginning of the thread would probably be Ni?
interesting...

thanks for your input everyone, i really appreciate it! so for the typical INFJ (if there is such a thing) the predominant function used in what i described at the beginning of the thread would probably be Ni?
interesting...

It has to be. Otherwise, it's not an INFJ.

However, until we can wrap our Ni around a system, we use Ti extensively. I think that's the stage you're in right now... using Ti to build an understanding of the system so you can then use Ni to just pick up on these things.

Last edited:
:m092: can someone be kind enough to give me some examples of Ne vs Ni? Not descriptions (well those too, but examples?) Maybe real life scenarios or what process would do what in a certain situation, etc.
does that make any sense?

:m092: can someone be kind enough to give me some examples of Ne vs Ni? Not descriptions (well those too, but examples?) Maybe real life scenarios or what process would do what in a certain situation, etc.
does that make any sense?

(I also want to know the answer to this question)

I've discovered that I use Se, Ti, and Fi pretty extensively - gathering information and then fitting it into a framework of potential values - modifying that framework if new, conflicting information is discovered.
I try not to use intuition too much, as I've recently discovered that using it too much sends me down a slippery slope into non-reality...but sometimes it crops up anyways. After all, despite my recent S turn, I am fundamentally an INFP...

Raccoon Love and I had another question about cognitive processes. Attached is a chat log with a portion of one of our discussions. We were wondering what your thoughts were on which cognitive processes these would be, and why. Also, have you had similar experiences or operate similarly at times?

~~An interesting converstion Raccoon Love and I had. Collin=RememberWhenItRained, Raccoon Love=Gabriel~~

Raccoon Love also I tend to go daydreaming when I listen to music which I enjoy..

Collin says: i do the same my thinking processes are a bit weird though

Gabriel says: lol i can relate

Collin says: well, when i listen to music i picture visuals like a film which isnt that unusual but i do the same thing when others talk i have like a film in my head when ppl say things lol

Gabriel says: lol you watch a lot of movies? I just imagine scenarios in my head..very random events which make me go all happy..then I sometimes run..happens whem I listen to music..I get soo excited about such thoughts that I just jump like crazy o_O

Collin says: i do the same (the first part, i don't jump) but no i don't watch many movies but im not a visual learning that much

Collin says: *visual learner

Gabriel says: Ahh I see

Collin says: but i also get random scenarios in my head

Gabriel says: Either scenarios or past memories that make me happy

Collin says: both recall from commercials and shows/films (scenes) or past memories it's almost real, i can picture the whole thing, sounds as well usually i cant control what it is though, it usually just pops in my head even weirder though, is that sometimes random scenes from my imagination just pop into my head oftentimes no control of when, unless of course viewing something

Gabriel says: , happens to me very often...tough i experienced both random and controlled ones..I can see the picture clearly and sounds too

Collin says: or thinking about something inspired my imagination

Gabriel says: o_O I wonder if this correlates

Collin says: but usually it's just like a completely original composition, almost like a clear dream in an awake state

Gabriel says: with any cognitive functions

Collin says: so i usually envision films in my head (new/original) and, get this, with their own soundtrack i constantly have music (many original "compositions" in my head) so it's little surprise that the music just happens with the mental "film" hmm.
idk good thought though [about cognitive processes]

Gabriel says: That is a very Ne thing to say actually, Ne enjoys playing with this scenarios

Gabriel says: in their head Though they tend to be more random Ni does the same but they tend to be more controlled

Collin says: yeah, but it's not usually that I'm looking for possibilities, it's more like i just see one scenario

Gabriel says: to the specific scenario they want

Collin says: i can tweak it a little mentally/consciously, but generally, my mind just has one direction and runs with it so you think that's Ni or Ne? (prolly Ni, Ne, and Fi all at once lol)

Gabriel says: Hmm now that specific I may have trouble decoding. This would be a good new topic aka Von or IS giving an explanation.

your thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Simply put, all of them at the same time.

Ne collects the data, and Ti resonates with it's logical consistency, all the while Si is noting everything that is being said and putting it in sequential order, as well as sending back data of what it all means, as well as what they are trying to communicate through facial gestures. (That last part is technically Si-Fe.)

Different types use different cognitive functions to type people, contrary to what some people are saying Te is inductive and empirical so it will use its material probabilistic reasoning of how someone's thinking and acting works to type people, so the Te user is going to look at how do they deal with stress, how do they make decisions, how do their emotions work? Then compare this information with its knowledge of types and cognitive function and then makes its best guess based on what perceiving function it's allied with in my case Ni's trends and patterns of certain personalities and Fi's characteristics, attitudes, and feelings of certain types, and with this settle on a conclusion. I would spend a long time passively observing a person with Ni and Se, before making a conclusion. Ni is more accurate in pattern recognition the more research and experience it has with something, prolonged observations overtime makes Ni sharper and can make one seem like a psychic, because Ni can do a lot with a very little amount of data. Like I don't have to reason about what someone's personality type is, because I'm Ni-Te-Fi, after some time of interacting with and observing a person, I will just know what their personality type is.

Last edited: