Classic films depicting introversion | INFJ Forum

Classic films depicting introversion

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I was watching Now, Voyager (1942) with Bette Davis played the lead character Charlotte Vale. I first learned about this film when i had to watch if for a course on film since the 1940s. Loved it. But what's most interesting about the film is that it represents the tendency early on, helped early on by the mental health profession, to treat introversion as a disorder, especially in women. When she was supposedly unglamorous and introverted, the main character was seen and treated as undesirable, but when she got "well," she was extroverted, vibrant, and confident. It's an interesting look at the way the way Classical Hollywood looks at personality typing without addressing it directly. I think she would probably be typed as an INFP/INFJ.

Another film is the Three Faces of Eve (1957) with Joanne Woodward. This is the story of a troubled housewife, with a young child, who is mistreated and neglected by her husband. What interesting about her is that, a traumatic experience as a child leads her to develop multiple personalities, 2 of them to start. She goes to a psychiatrist who takes her case out of a peculiar interest. The troubled housewife is introverted, which is intended to reflect her feelings of insecurity and lack of self confidence, and troubled nature. On the other hand, is her alter ego, extremely extroverted "bad girl" personality who goes out at night, lives it up. This second personality is seen as rebellious, reckless, and lacks self-control. And the third personality which emerges later, is one who is seen as balanced. This third persona, the healthy compromise, doesn't appear until she comes to terms with the trauma she experienced as a child due to the sessions she has with the psychiatrist, to understand the reason her personalities developed. The first pesonality is probably an ISFJ, the second ENTP or ENFP (not sure), and the third an INFP/INFJ.

Has anyone ever watched these films or any other Classical Hollywood films from the 1040s and 1950s with similar themes? What do you think?

Last edited:
It's an interesting look at the way the way Classical Hollywood looks at personality typing without addressing it directly. I think she would probably be typed as an INFP/INFJ.

This is something I have been fascinated with in cinema. I'm definitely interested in finding patterns and watching for the way Hollywood comprehends societal norms in personality, even more so when you compare the values through the decades. I can't say I've watched a lot of that golden period of hollywood films. I watched tons of film noir from that period and I shall come back to answer your question after I've thought on it.

Also I really like looking at how different countries emphasise certain personality types. The European cinema seems much more in touch with introversion then anyone else from my experience. I personally think their films are far more interesting.

Also I really like looking at how different countries emphasise certain personality types. The European cinema seems much more in touch with introversion then anyone else from my experience. I personally think their films are far more interesting.

I agree somewhat. I think i was glad i was exposed to Europea cinema in college, because it's so different from American film. They definitely appreciate and represent introversion more. But i enjoy Classical US films. I love the style and quality of the production, the lighting, costumes, etc. On the other hand, coming from the English Caribbean, we were exposed to British programming quite a bit, and i loved it. There was a bit more variety or acceptance of particular traits. In Europe, it seems there's a sense of not having to apologize for who you are, where in the US, there's a need to push for everyone to fit in. (someone can correct me if i am wrong) There's more acceptance of individuals who are more subdued in European cinema than other places it seems.

90s ain't classic, but nevertheless: The Piano

I agree somewhat. I think i was glad i was exposed to Europea cinema in college, because it's so different from American film. They definitely appreciate and represent introversion more. But i enjoy Classical US films. I love the style and quality of the production, the lighting, costumes, etc. On the other hand, coming from the English Caribbean, we were exposed to British programming quite a bit, and i loved it. There was a bit more variety or acceptance of particular traits. In Europe, it seems there's a sense of not having to apologize for who you are, where in the US, there's a need to push for everyone to fit in. (someone can correct me if i am wrong) There's more acceptance of individuals who are more subdued in European cinema than other places it seems.

I think it extends not just to personality types but the way people live in general. European is far more "out there" with their expression of the human condition. In other words, they're not afraid to talk about or represent the alternative- be it sexual, psychological or sociological.

I don't know if she is an Introvert.. I think she is because I always really connected to her character in the book and then of course in the movie..

I mean Melanie Hamilton Wilkes from Gone With the Wind..

But what I liked about her character was that she was actually quite loved despite her quiet demeanor, and even if she was introverted, she made it a point to always help and love.

Attachments

• Olivia_de_Havilland_in_Gone_with_the_Wind_trailer_3.jpg
    Olivia_de_Havilland_in_Gone_with_the_Wind_trailer_3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I don't know if she is an Introvert.. I think she is because I always really connected to her character in the book and then of course in the movie..

I mean Melanie Hamilton Wilkes from Gone With the Wind..

But what I liked about her character was that she was actually quite loved despite her quiet demeanor, and even if she was introverted, she made it a point to always help and love.

That's cool. I think i'm going to have to watch Gone with the Wind again one of these days.

The book is of course better. :D

Could you guys explain why you've picked the films you did and how the films or the characters or stories portray introversion. Thx.

Last edited:
I was just trying to come up with the single most introverted character I could think of. I can't say much about the film because it was a long time since I saw it.

I guess I'm really not contibruting much to this thread. Oh well. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I think Legolas and Aragorn from LOTR are introverts.

Could you guys explain why you've picked the films you did and how the films or the characters or stories portray introversion. Thx.
I see both of them as people who are on their own path in many ways, directed from within...no matter what is going on they seem to be on their own wavelength and that is generally a private, hidden dynamic. They definitely interact with others effectively...but they are not guided by this. These characters are often seen in the film processing their own thoughts/insights/awareness.

I see introversion as a great strength...some of the greatest heros ever can be seen as introverts, imo.

I think Humphrey Bogart's character from Casablanca is an introvert, and perhaps Ilsa as well. They seemed extremely cautious and quiet, and reluctant to face the changes in their lives. Whether or not they were ISxx or INxx I couldn't tell you. But I think they may have been introverts.

The first character I thought of was Norman Bates in Psycho. I'm not sure how much explaination this example needs. He clearly cannot figure out how to connect with others and is very secretive. I really like the bird of prey imagery that Hitchcock associates with him over the course of the film...

Also, Bates is yet another example of an introvert portrayed negatively in classic film.

The first character I thought of was Norman Bates in Psycho. I'm not sure how much explaination this example needs. He clearly cannot figure out how to connect with others and is very secretive. I really like the bird of prey imagery that Hitchcock associates with him over the course of the film...

Also, Bates is yet another example of an introvert portrayed negatively in classic film.

Good one.

If anyone has ever seen the movie "Corina Corina" with Whoopie Goldberg and Ray Liotta, I'd be interested in any guesses of Whoopie's type. I LOVE her character in this movie. (it's one of my fav's).

Thank you for sharing this.

It is really interesting story, especially second one.

First one was full of lesson and you mentioned it.