Christian nudism | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Christian nudism

I typically wear nice slacks or a skirt to church where I wouldn't otherwise, but I haven't been attending church lately because I'm disillusioned by it.

It really depends on the culture of the congregation you attend on what you should wear, when actually when women were taught to dress modestly, the word actually referred to clothing that wasn't too nice for the occasion, not necessarily the covering of skin. Modest is both an attitude and the clothing worn.

Going nude at service would probably cause others to stumble, particularly teenage or young adult guys. :p

This said, I think there is nothing wrong doing your personal, private devotions in the nude. I do so regularly, in the bathroom where I won't be disturbed.

The church I attend unregularly really is anything-goes. With that said, my excuse for not going to church is: I don't have anything to wear!

I never get to dress up so if I go to church then I am going to dress up!

I guess I should preface with 'I am not by any means a Christian'. I am roughly as far from Christian as it's possible to be without sacrificing animals and eating babies. Still, I am spiritual.

I think there is something significant in the symbolism of going naked before God. I find too often that churches are places to hide the sins of people and naked it is very difficult to hide your heroine tracks of your erections when you see the neighbor's wife. The fears that disconnect us from each other and sicken us as people are always the once we need others to know about the most if we're to escape them or conquer them.

Being real and honest with one another is a huge part of being connected to each other and the world around you and I consider people to be at their most pure when they are naked before the elements and before one another. I've seen plenty of moralists decry the human body as an impure vessel but I consider it the most wonderful. You cannot claim to have lived until you've experienced genuine vulnerability.

I find my rare nights when I can stand under the moon listening to the wind, feeling air rushing through the hair on my neck and legs, tasting the evening with the completeness of my being to be some of the finest.

So my questions are: what ought Chrisitians wear in religious gatherings? Is "I'd be ashamed if I didn't" a (Biblically) morally-right answer? And finally, what are your actual reasons for wearing clothes to church?

what ought Chrisitians wear in religious gatherings?

Ideally: what ever you feel is appropriate, the members should know that God cares more about who you are as apposed to what your wear.

pragmatically: What ever your Church feels is appropriate. The reason being that we should do as little as possible to cause division in the body, if you not wearing a dress or a sports jacket on Sunday causes a bit of an uproar by the members of the church because 95% are of a similar age to the statistic. Then you should A) bite the bullet, it's one day a week. B) If it is a big deal for you because of some personal reason, find another church to attend to or try and let people know why you don't/can't. A little understanding goes a long way.

Is "I'd be ashamed if I didn't" a (Biblically) morally-right answer?

Are we talking about nudity or what you wear in general?

you shouldn't feel shame for what you wear unless you deliberately wore some thing for sinful reasons. I'll let you decide what those are.

Now if your church is making you feel ashamed for not dressing how they expect you to. Then i would say leave the Church and find a new one, if they start losing members then they start losing support and money. Which should cause them to rethink how they think.

And finally, what are your actual reasons for wearing clothes to church?

It's really freaking cold out right now.

It's also practical do to how people form opinions about you based on your appearance. If I want people look at me and think "he looks very professional" I wear a suit a tie and shave , if I want them to think "he looks very clean" I wear a button up shirt, jeans and shave. If I want them to think "he looks like a good kid" I'll shave and wear a modest shirt and pants.

On another note, how you dress tends to alienate certain groups of people. Usually ranging from young to old, with suit and tie being on the high end age wise and shorts and a T-shirt being on the low end. If your a preacher you probably want to sit on the high end or if you are a youth minister on the low end. I prefer to remain semi casual as it retains an air of authority with the youth and holds a bit of respect with the elderly and usually gathers support from your peers.

A couple of my thoughts on this;

1) I think it's fascinating that God originally created us to be nude and that one of the consequences of sin was that we'd be ashamed of our natural form. Too bad, really.

2) I understand and respect the idea of dressing up for church to a degree but think it can become counterproductive in that people not comfortable with doing so would feel alienated in that environment totally defeating the original purpose.

3) To me the most compelling 'nudity' that can be found in a church is blatant honesty and aggressive, proactive accountability to stay that way.

I don't like the idea. This isn't Eden, humanity isn't innocent anymore. Maybe if nudity were more accepted by mainstream society, as it is I just don't see the point.