[PUG] Chivalry is sexist

the question is:

is chivalry being defined as courtesy and valor by men towards women

or

as courtesy and valor by all genders toward women

or

as courtesy and valor by men towards all genders

OR

or courtesy and valor regardless of gender identification of the participating parties

although it wasn't explicit, i was under the impression that both in the context of this thread, and in common parlance, it has generally come to refer to a specific set of ways in which men relate to women.

What is sexist is the context - the meaning behind the social, cultural, and historical situation in which it was practiced.
Context is irrelevant as long as said context had nothing to do with the principle meaning. For example, Lockean Philosophy was developed in a context where slavery based on race existed. Now interestingly Lockean philosophy (which is evident in our founding documents), speaks of inalienable rights, and equal rights for all men. Now is the idea of Equal rights racist because of the context? Or can we take the principle of the idea and apply it evenly?

I don't believe chivalry was a simple matter of respect for women. It was fundamentally based on the image of woman as fragile because of their "femininity" and perceived role as the "weaker" sex, thereby needing more softer and delicate treatment.
I think you're falling prey to anachronism. The idea of men treating women with a special respect doesn't necessarily have to do with a weaker view of women. Some of the gestures we associate with Chivalry may have been affected by the image of women the people had at the time, but that doesn't mean that the code was made for the sake of 'holding women down' or 'back' or what not, in fact, in its own historical context it might have even been a progressive idea.

I think its funny how "emotion" "gentleness" and caring are seen as "weaknesses" by some people who hate chivalry or who pretend its sexist.

Reactions: Jack
although it wasn't explicit, i was under the impression that both in the context of this thread, and in common parlance, it has generally come to refer to a specific set of ways in which men relate to women.
It does seem common for those discussing the men/women questions to sort of bypass the valor and courage aspects of Chivalry in other areas. I still associate those Ideas with Chivalry, but I suppose some others do not.