Chem Corner

Kavalan

Has risen
Sep 16, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
1W9
So in lab while waiting for enzymes to do their thing IndegoSensor and I decided we'd post some problems that we do in organic! Here's one we both are working on.

If you would like to post answers and have chemdraw or a scanner by all means. If you have neither then I'll make an effort to number the systems so you can describe how it happens.

I would prefer that if you post your own questions that you draw it out or use a program thought.

Have fun!

Attachments

• chem corner.gif
    chem corner.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 65
Solved!

70% of the time was doing it in damn chemdraw, but I got it. Once you split the ring, it turns into an aldol condensation (I LOVE aldol condensations! :D):

screencaptureg.png

if I can find one or think of another one. I will post it.

Propose A Mecanism! :D

Hahaha, moxie. :tongue1:

Anyone else who wants to chime in with an idea of something to do, or if you want do try and solve it, go for it!

Here is the next one (Kav, I bet you will reconize this one, hehe). I am not going to lie the mecanism for this is rather hard, took me a good week (and some help) to get it. Nevertheless, it is quite a cool mech. and the reaction itself is pretty. Here is a hint, the pyrrolidine doesn't need to be on the middle compound, the dimethylamide can be there, and actually is there first (so the pyrrolidine can be skipped).

screencapture1o.png

Last edited:
This one you were doing this summer yes?

yup yup

Well I'll take a crack at it but I'm a bit swamped till Thursday so yea we'll see.

Also in your mechanism the arrows for the loss of water are reversed you would liberate an ionic water rather than neutral.

correction.gif

Edit: I will be working on making my pictures larger in the future

oops! Damnit. Don't feel like going back and redoing it, but it would still work. You would have a carbocation form, which would migrate, and the same type of rearagement would occur from that point.

Chemistry. Me and Kavalan are focusing on the same major, in the same area; organic chemistry.

Last edited:
I hear horrible, horrible things from O.C!
I cant wait though, I was always better with physics and chemitry based subjects than biology (too many damned cells!)

Had I known about this place last year, I may have been hitting you guys up for chem help.

Jk, online help is pretty useless because of my learning style.

Chemistry. Me and Kavalan are focusing on the same major, in the same area; organic chemistry.

Isn't that the study of carbon? Carbon is always an exception pretty much if I'm remember right.

Isn't that the study of carbon? Carbon is always an exception pretty much if I'm remember right.

Well carbon is the primary skeleton of organic molecules but as you see from what IS put up other atoms are involved.

*revives* will post things soon... I lack a chemdraw program so I will resort to taking over a whiteboard and take pics...:m183:

EDIT: This can also be a sort of Q&A about chemistry in the broader spectrum but I will plan on posting questions that all of three people will know what I'm talking about. :p

Last edited: