[INFJ] - Can a depressed INFJ test as an INFP? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Can a depressed INFJ test as an INFP?

May16

One
Dec 12, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (I have depression only in the fall and winter months). I've noticed that I test as an INFJ in the spring and summer, and I test as INFP in the fall and winter. I was wondering, what would cause me to test differently when I have depression?

I don't know, but I've texted INFP for the past year and it's been a pretty rough year for me so I've been wondering if I'm just under a lot of stress. I wonder the same thing sometimes.

I think it's pretty clear ~
You just have a strong case of Pness envy.

Hello! What do you mean by "tested"?

If its the case you are referring to an online test, probably your mood affects how you answer the questions. High levels of melancholy and negative emotions relate to Fi function, that could be the case for you testing as one. Nonetheless, i recommend you to take the test with a professional analyst to be clear of doubts.

I would say an isfp or estp

-depressed INFJ would not share alot

-says/does harsh things.

-Infp knows what they exactly feel.

-INFJ gets blind by there emotions to realize that they're being blind.

-Plus add the stubbornness and sensitivity.

It's definitely possible. When you're depressed the extroverted feeling is probably subdued and so it probably won't show up in that sense on the tests. That might make the results show more of an INFP.

Modern personality research on the currently most widely acclaimed model, the 5 factor model, suggests strongly that personality isn't immune to modification, although it also has a significant genetic component. This means for example that it's unlikely to see a not very orderly person become permanently super-orderly, but it's normal to see increases in their orderliness based on some circumstances.

Reactions: invisible
I'm an INFJ and I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (I have depression only in the fall and winter months). I've noticed that I test as an INFJ in the spring and summer, and I test as INFP in the fall and winter. I was wondering, what would cause me to test differently when I have depression?

Even though it's slightly off topic, I think you should get some excessively bright pale blue lighting (the color of light from the blue sky) and leave it on most of the day - and take vitamin D supplements.

I had a dose of S.A.D. the winter I spent in Canada (never had it before, but I'd never been so far north in winter before) - came as a mental lethargy. The bright blue lighting and going outside and letting the sun's glare get in my eyes fixed it up.

INFP =/= depression, I wish people would stop combining the two.

Introverted Feeling is more in depth and complex.

People with Introverted Feeling tend to be on a quest to figure out who they are and what they want out of life. Ideally, they would like everything they do to be in congruence with their personal believes. They want to live a life as true to themselves as possible.

The Fi user also wants to impact the world around them. They have a desire to express themselves and make an impact.
src.

I don't know where your current test results come from, but your best bet is to not use unofficial MBTI "tests" found through Google, and seek out tests from organizations and certified practitioners.

I recommend starting here.

I heard a theory that stress can cause the inversion of functions:
Ni Fe Ti Se (INFJ) -> Ne Fi Te Si (ENFP)

Those tests are just inaccurate. Better to look at good descriptions, like A.J. Drenth's, which show how each type progresses with time. There are many other descriptions online that help distinguish between the two.

I think many INFPs type themselves as INFJ because they enjoy thinking of themselves as a rare unicorn, but are actually kidding themselves for the purpose of particular complexes. But I am sure many people do this, regardless of which type.

I heard a theory that stress can cause the inversion of functions:
Ni Fe Ti Se (INFJ) -> Ne Fi Te Si (ENFP)

This is me. I'm an enfp for the most part but also INFJ.

But there was a time in my life where I was under a ton of stress and I was 100% infj at that time.

I think many INFPs type themselves as INFJ because they enjoy thinking of themselves as a rare unicorn, but are actually kidding themselves for the purpose of particular complexes. But I am sure many people do this, regardless of which type.

You see that a lot with intjs, too.

Reactions: Elegant Winter
You see that a lot with intjs, too.

That's why I left the INTJ forum.

I am curious as to why you felt the need to throw that in there, as I can detect an insincere jab, but I wasn't threatening anyone in-particular.

Appendix: I think the word 'disingenuous' comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: knight in battle
That's why I left the INTJ forum.

I am curious as to why you felt the need to throw that in there, as I can detect an insincere jab, but I wasn't threatening anyone in-particular.

Appendix: I think the word 'disingenuous' comes to mind.

Maybe it was a jab. Just cuz. It is bad form to come to a forum where people are trying to figure these things out and discount some as wannabes. Interesting that you couldn't manage to get along on intjs. Everyone else was fake, right?

Last edited:
Maybe it was a jab. Just cuz. It is bad form to come to a forum where people are trying to figure these things out and discount some as wannabes. Interesting that you couldn't manage to get along on intjs. Everyone else was fake, right?

I think he just meant statistically speaking, he wasn't singling anyone out and was actually addressing the topic. You are also now making assumptions about another member.

Reactions: knight in battle
Once upon a time I thought I was an INFJ. Till I understood the cognitive functions better. I admit that thinking I was "a rare unicorn" was a bit tantalizing to me at the time but I didn't know any better. MBTI is a bit glamorized and who doesn't want to be the unicorn! LOL, but it just didn't "fit" me when I got right down to it. I am an INFP, through and through, and pretending to be an INFJ when it was so obvious I wasn't just seemed like I was putting on an act and not being true to myself. The whole experience did teach me a lot about the differences though. And the differences are not just the letters P and J, they are massive differences in personality. The main ones being an INFP's FiNe vs INFJ's NiFe. No matter how depressed or stressed one is, I think these two things will never change, honestly, but can present themselves in different ways atypical from textbook definition under duress. My experiences wrestling with my own type taught me a lot about INFJ's and how I am certain I am not one, but I am also confident that I can spot the real ones and the ones who are mistyped for whatever reason. My ex is an INFJ and I have a couple of friends who are as well. Knowing them, really knowing them, it makes me wonder why the heck I thought I was one in the first place, lol. Oh yeah, because this online test I took only once told me I was! hahaha! Anyone who is uncertain should do a little more research on the cognitive functions.

Reactions: Free
Once upon a time I thought I was an INFJ. Till I understood the cognitive functions better. I admit that thinking I was "a rare unicorn" was a bit tantalizing to me at the time but I didn't know any better. MBTI is a bit glamorized and who doesn't want to be the unicorn! LOL, but it just didn't "fit" me when I got right down to it. I am an INFP, through and through, and pretending to be an INFJ when it was so obvious I wasn't just seemed like I was putting on an act and not being true to myself. The whole experience did teach me a lot about the differences though. And the differences are not just the letters P and J, they are massive differences in personality. The main ones being an INFP's FiNe vs INFJ's NiFe. No matter how depressed or stressed one is, I think these two things will never change, honestly, but can present themselves in different ways atypical from textbook definition under duress. My experiences wrestling with my own type taught me a lot about INFJ's and how I am certain I am not one, but I am also confident that I can spot the real ones and the ones who are mistyped for whatever reason. My ex is an INFJ and I have a couple of friends who are as well. Knowing them, really knowing them, it makes me wonder why the heck I thought I was one in the first place, lol. Oh yeah, because this online test I took only once told me I was! hahaha! Anyone who is uncertain should do a little more research on the cognitive functions.

Agreed! It was familiarizing myself with the functions that helped me at least narrow my type down to ISFJ or INFJ, as opposed to IxFP. It was clear that Fe+Ti was my thing, and that my Fi wasn't nearly developed enough to be my dominant or even secondary function.