Calling all INFJ composers and artists. Have you at some point tested INFP? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Calling all INFJ composers and artists. Have you at some point tested INFP?

I have test INFP. And I sing. But I dont think of it as singing, I think of it as telling a story to music. The songs that I sing the best are the ones I have lived. I love the fact that you can say the most emotionally driven words, the over the top ( Example: Gun Powder and led ) statements that would normally earn you comments like: " Are you insane?" But put, "Dug my key right down the side, of his pretty little souped four wheel drive." To a good beat, and you got yourself a hit, instead of on a 24 hr psych. watch. I have been called oversensitive way to many times ( more than ever on the INTJ forum) but I always tell people, I am highly sensitive and over intuitive. If I could turn it off, or even down I would. I don't like being called oversensitive because I am uncomfortable around someone I perceive as insensitive. My perception of people has a much greater success rate, than what others tell me they think of that person. I can't really think of many times where I said, wow I can't believe I thought that person was cold, and thoughtless and would say they got your back, but meant got your back with this knife. I was SO wrong about them. They are warm and wonderful and trustworthy. That just doesn't happen, or visa versa. I honestly don't think of my perception as "me" it has always been referred to by me as the gift/curse, or just "it".

However I should also disclose I have tested as ENFJ,ENTP,ISTP in addition to the INFJ,INFP. I have problems with about 14 questions on the test. I know exactly which questions make me flip flop.

I'm both a musician and enjoy drawing. I am also in the midst of considering furthering animation studies. I test myself each year to gain perspective on my strengths of preferences.. Each year infj displays itself as my result. Though i've never gotten an infp result, I think bursts of Pish aspects in Infj artists could be a good theory. In my experiences my creativity is not consistent. Definitely is drawn out in bursts.

Yeah I've kind of wondered lately if it's being INFJ and enneagram 4 that has the "INFPish" effect or could it be low Ti... I'm not sure yet. Purely speculative. I do the endless procrastination followed by intense creative spurt.
I could be wrong but I think some INFP somewhere (blasted memory!!!) mentioned that they're waiting for the right feeling, not procrastinating per se... I find I tend to over research, panic and then just finally get it done. Not the best method. That's why I like getting other people involved in my projects because I feel accountable when other people depend on my productivity which gets me to do things instead of endlessly gathering info until I have a folder full of myth, science, pictures for each song. ...then the finished thing is quite minimal and actually done very fast.

I might be veering off topic a bit, but I can relate to that need to be inspired. I've done some of my most creative work when I've been given a strict guideline to follow... and then I bend the rules as much as possible. Getting that "WTF are you doing??" reaction out of some people is the inspiration I need to be creative a lot of times, just doing that out of thin air begins to feel more like insanity rather than creativity.

This is Ni at its finest. It likes knowing the rules of a framework, so it can then see how to bend it to its will or see the framework from different viewpoints to discover new possibilities.

My test results vary between INFJ, INTJ, & INFP. Interestingly, INFJs can be very 'P-ish' and INFPs can be very 'J-ish'. The P and J are more aptly used in the context of an extravert. In my opinion, the P or J should signify whether your dominant function is a perceiving (P) or judging (J) function. Instead it points to whether your perceiving or judging function is the extraverted one. Although Myers-Briggs theory suggests so, P and J are not real determining factors anyway.

Organization can easily be a value of Fi or Fe, or a principle of Ti or Te. Same with decision-making process. I know many Js that are indecisive or like to carefully weigh their options and many Ps that are quickly decisive.

Furthermore, the test pits E vs I, S vs N, T vs F, and P vs J. A better test would pit Fi vs Fe vs Ti vs Te and Se vs Si vs Ne vs Ni.

[MENTION=3791]knight in battle[/MENTION]
Lenore Thomson has some interesting ideas and I believe there is truth in her logic. However, Dario Nardi (Neuroscience of Personality) demonstrates that while INFP has some dominant right-brain functions, their Judging process stems from the Left frontal lobe. As do all MBTI types with a dominant judging function. All MBTI types with a dominant perceiving function, their Judging process stems from the Right frontal lobe.

Last edited:
I've mostly gotten INFJ and INTJ, but I've been known to test INFP when I am at my most aware and most creative. I sometimes wonder if the results flutter because of the cycles of balancing out your nature and nurture. Very interesting article in Ideas and Discoveries on balancing out your personality. I will have to see if they have it online. It was the first time I had actually purchased a paper magazine in a long time. :)

Last edited:
@knight in battle
Lenore Thomson has some interesting ideas and I believe there is truth in her logic. However, Dario Nardi (Neuroscience of Personality) demonstrates that while INFP has some dominant right-brain functions, their Judging process stems from the Left frontal lobe. As do all MBTI types with a dominant judging function. All MBTI types with a dominant perceiving function, their Judging process stems from the Right frontal lobe.

Is this because Fi is a tandem process of Te? or is there a different reason?

Is this because Fi is a tandem process of Te? or is there a different reason?

I am not sure. In the book, it shows a map of regions of the brain for each type. In all dominant judgers, the left processor (FP1) is more active than the right. In all dominant perceivers, the right processor (FP2) is more active than the left. Both are ultimately still used, but one or the other is used more.

Here is a picture of the map:

http://www.worldtypealliance.com/uploads/Brain-Regions.gif

I play guitar and bass and have dabbled with drums and keyboards. I've tested as an INFP only once. Usually, it's INFJ or INTP but the former describes me almost perfectly.

I am not sure. In the book, it shows a map of regions of the brain for each type. In all dominant judgers, the left processor (FP1) is more active than the right. In all dominant perceivers, the right processor (FP2) is more active than the left. Both are ultimately still used, but one or the other is used more.

Here is a picture of the map:

http://www.worldtypealliance.com/uploads/Brain-Regions.gif

I've tested infp many times. My right brain is dominant. I've heard that this regions - thing is all bullshit -no offense ^^ are u sure about it?

I've tested infp many times. My right brain is dominant. I've heard that this regions - thing is all bullshit -no offense ^^ are u sure about it?

I have heard no such thing myself, except when referring to Phrenology. But that was based on skull bumps to dictate brain function prowess. Not that it makes me an authoritative figure on the matter in anyway, but so far I have not seen how it is wrong in my University studies in Psychology. It is possible that a typical area of the brain mapped for a given process, might be different in some people. This is often due to lesions or brain damage. And is not always true for them, either. Although my post was to point out that dominant judger (EJs and IPs) use the left processor more than the right, not that they were left or right brained overall. The FPx regions are the areas responsible for executive functions, such as process tracking and decision making. Everyone uses both processors, as everyone uses both halves of their brain, and everyone uses 100% of their brain.

I make noise on a four and a six string. Been known to screech a few words here n there along with that noise. My writer's mojo comes and goes, really love writing poetry...just depends on if the words are deafening or not. When I first took these tests I took a thirty question twice I think and it turned out INFJ and INFP. Then I came across a hundred or two hundred question test and it gave me INFJ, I was tired of answering questions at that point.

I have heard no such thing myself, except when referring to Phrenology. But that was based on skull bumps to dictate brain function prowess. Not that it makes me an authoritative figure on the matter in anyway, but so far I have not seen how it is wrong in my University studies in Psychology. It is possible that a typical area of the brain mapped for a given process, might be different in some people. This is often due to lesions or brain damage. And is not always true for them, either. Although my post was to point out that dominant judger (EJs and IPs) use the left processor more than the right, not that they were left or right brained overall. The FPx regions are the areas responsible for executive functions, such as process tracking and decision making. Everyone uses both processors, as everyone uses both halves of their brain, and everyone uses 100% of their brain.
Now it's clear. Sounds right to me. Dominant judgers are "left-brained".

This is purely a brainfart of some kind, but bear with me... I was mopping the floor thinking about women's haircolours and how they carry semantic meanings. One of my favorite musicians Tori Amos used different coloured wigs on her America Doll Posse record portraying modern female archetypes. At the same time I was reminded of a post about INTPs I read where someone mentioned that the first two functions of INFJs are perceptive functions and only the third Ti is judging and that this function doesn't develop before 20s-30s...:m083:
I thought how what a relief it is to do art: You can study things but you don't have to defend your decisions and conclusions rationally, most of the time anyway.
It occurred to me that when I write songs I can express several ideas which fit together intuitively, without having to make intellectual explanations for their connections . I've tested as INFP and INFJ and had to go through the task of figuring out what the functions were to find the right fit. I would define myself more "perceivery" than most INFJs, BUT I wonder if habitually using the two perceiving functions for work and maybe reserving Ti for recreational reading or the rare time you discuss your work critically might make an INFJ a little Pish????:m096:

So if you're an artist/composer/etc.. and work in a way you don't have to Ti much habitually my question is, have you tested INFP or felt very Pish????
Or do you not do the above?
Please share :m161:

Yes. I generally test as INFP, but I know I'm not INFP.

And yes, I am an artist.

I agree with/relate to everything you said.

Can't think of anything else to add to it.

Nice post! :D

I'm the guy that you see carrying bags of technology like a mule. Hours later I see how you sweat and pant, dancing as if no one could see you, brainwashed by my groovy and irresistible selections.

I've been the disc jockey at two school dances so far lol, but I enjoyed it very much. I like subjecting my ears to loud, electronic noises that gets in your mind and controls you. Any whizzing spinning flying droning vibrating sound is heard by me, my ears will penetrate even the most complex fortress of beats.

My bedroom is the place where you can find me moving my body in strange ways to this sort of noise. I can mix any sort of house, d&b, techno, schranz (lol), breaks, hardcore, whatever works. I'm known for mixing weird things together as my roots are in old rock, psychedelic, classical, even some jazz I can really like. Things which appear in 4/4 and switch up the timings catch my eye when it's done right. Percussion is cool.

My family hates my music, they believe that my satanic repetitive bleepy bloopitty computer drug music is the path to hell. I deal with it tho :D

Here is some electronic noise, it is my gift to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4YvkZeLrjs

Last edited:
I never thought of myself as P, never tested P but I never took this test during my creative burst. I work in bursts, whatever it is. I have a highly creative phase, followed by a block. It is sadly the latter right now. I can't even tell you exactly what inpires me because it is very abstract, so I can't trigger it anyhow. However, sometimes it's easier for me to have some kind of a deadline because it makes me spin and I create things out of thin air. It's nothing but my own instincts which can be very liberating because it isn't over-thought (I'm very guilty of it).

I call myself an inf in pj's all the time for this very reason...interesting. My most intensive p moments are when I am in a creative streak...I test a very low j, but an even lower p unless I am in the zone so to speak. This also comes in bursts for me too.

I have tested INFP, ISFP, INTJ and INTP. I have also tested as a four, five, and six in the enneagram. I'm pretty sure I'm a five. I'm pretty sure I'm an INFJ. The boundaries of these things are weird. I have written many books, and published hundreds of poems in top journals, and win grants and am invited to read at university seminars around the country. I have four or five new books written every year. I don't publish most of them because the problemz of selling them are so enormous and I'd rather write new ones. It's not that they can't get published, it's just that dissemination requires so much work. Work is hard, and writing is more fun than dissemination. But the problemz of typing are endless. You can't really get to the bottom of them because the typological boundaries don't really exist. Even gender is unclear, so how could a "type" be clear? Some claim now you can do it by studying the cognition of an individual (Dario Nardi is doing this at UCLA with his brain research and has an amazing new book on this, but the logical problems underneath his assertions are enormous). The problem is that the type boundaries were set by bounders. Still, I like the "INFJs" the best. They have a good balance of creativity and thought. INTJs at least on their board are rigid and kind of Laestrygonian (the race of giants in Homer who cannibalize 10/11ths of his men for no good reason except that they were hungry). INTJs attack for no reason except to assert their superiority, which is stupid. INTPs are even worse. INFPs bore me. ISFPs have nothing at all to say on almost any topic. So that leaves the INFJs. They are ok in my book. Not too hot and not too cold. Just right. I don't know if this means I am an INFJ. It might just mean that I like INFJs the best. They think for themselves but aren't too arrogant about it, they can feel, but don't use it to deny all others any feelings. Rock on, INFJs!