Book Club: Choose the book! | INFJ Forum

Book Club: Choose the book!

Vote for the book you would like to read!

• Total voters

Entyqua

Forgotten
Retired Staff
Jul 11, 2008
MBTI
INF
Enneagram
messed up
Genre has been chose, books have been suggested...NOW its time to vote for the book!
Please only vote if you plan on participating!

Book Suggestions:

1. "The Blade Itself," by Joe Abercrombie (2007)
Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian – leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glotka a whole lot more difficult.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood. Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is noir fantasy with a real cutting edge.

Here's a brief extract from the novel, to get a sense of the author's style. I've poked around the internet community and everyone seems to be raving about this guy.

2. Lord Foul's Bane from the Thomas Covenant series (Stephen R. Donaldson)

The first book in one of the most remarkable epic fantasies ever written, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever.
He called himself Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever because he dared not believe in the strange alternate world in which he suddenly found himself. Yet he was tempted to believe, to fight for the Land, to be the reincarnation of its greatest hero....

3. New Spring - Wheel of Time Book 1 Robert Jordan

The city of Canluum lies close to the scarred and desolate wastes of the Blight, a walled haven from the dangers away to the north, and a refuge from the ill works of those who serve the Dark One. Or so it is said. The city that greets Al'Lan Mandragoran, exiled king of Malkier and the finest swordsman of his generation, is instead one that is rife with rumour and the whisperings of Shadowspawn. Proof, should he have required it, that the Dark One grows powerful once more and that his minions are at work throughout the lands. And yet it is within Canluum's walls that Lan will meet a woman who will shape his destiny. Moiraine is a young and powerful Aes Sedai who has journeyed to the city in search of a bondsman. She requires aid in a desperate quest to prove the truth of a vague and largely discredited prophecy - one that speaks of a means to turn back the shadow, and of a child who may be the dragon reborn.

4. Good Omens

Pratchett (of Discworld fame) and Gaiman (of Sandman fame) may seem an unlikely combination, but the topic (Armageddon) of this fast-paced novel is old hat to both. Pratchett's wackiness collaborates with Gaiman's morbid humor; the result is a humanist delight to be savored and reread again and again. You see, there was a bit of a mixup when the Antichrist was born, due in part to the machinations of Crowley, who did not so much fall as saunter downwards, and in part to the mysterious ways as manifested in the form of a part-time rare book dealer, an angel named Aziraphale. Like top agents everywhere, they've long had more in common with each other than the sides they represent, or the conflict they are nominally engaged in. The only person who knows how it will all end is Agnes Nutter, a witch whose prophecies all come true, if one can only manage to decipher them. The minor characters along the way (Famine makes an appearance as diet crazes, no-calorie food and anorexia epidemics) are as much fun as the story as a whole, which adds up to one of those rare books which is enormous fun to read the first time, and the second time, and the third time...

5. The Orphan's Tales

The opening volume of the Orphan's Tales begins in a palace garden, where a girl has been abandoned because of the strange, ink-black stain around her eyes and over her eyelids. Because the sultan and his nobles wish to avoid the problem she presents, she is left to wander the gardens, alone until another child, a boy, comes and speaks to her.

She reveals the secret of her ink-stained eyes, that they contain many tales. In return for the boy's company, she tells him stories, beginning with the tale of the prince Leander. Each succeeding story grows from the one before it, characters recounting tales they were told and even weaving them back together.

There is an entire mythology in this book, in which the themes of familiar fairy tales are picked apart and rearranged into a new and wonderful whole. The narrative is a nested, many-faceted thing, ever circling back to the girl in the palace garden and the prince she is telling the tales to in a wonderful interpretation of what fairy tales ought to be.

The illustrations, by Michael Kaluta, constitute an excellent supplement, reminiscent of illustrations of such fairy-tale books as Andrew Lang's, though Kaluta does no toning down for Victorian sensibilities.

6. Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir

Like many reclusive celebrities, Big Foot is misunderstood. In his touching memoir Me Write Book he wants to set the record straight, proving that although he's larger, hairier, and more foul-smelling than most of us, he's really not so different underneath.
Only the most coldhearted among us could look on without compassion as this hirsute Everyman struggles bravely with casual cannibalism, Pringles potato crisps, embarrassing moments with peach Schnapps, the desperate loneliness of personal ads, and philosophical quandaries.

Readers will never forget the plaintive voice from the wilderness that howls from every page of this searing, intimate account of a man-beast in the promised land.

rules and regs...

We will say 100 pages a week for discussions.
A discussion thread will be started for the entire book, but we will have weekly discussions as we reach 100 pages.

questions will be posed to the group by the host.
Further questions can be asked in discussion by the rest of the group as well.

Anyone can participate
Anyone can join in the middle providing they participate in older discussions
Anyone can drop out if they decide the book is not for them

This is not meant to be a chore, or a hassle. I want this to work for everyone

Last edited:
I'm probably not participating in this, but I just wanted to point out that New Spring isn't actually book 1 - It's a prequel. Officially, book 1 is The Eye of the World.

I'm probably not participating in this, but I just wanted to point out that New Spring isn't actually book 1 - It's a prequel. Officially, book 1 is The Eye of the World.

we are aware, we didnt want to detract from the series itself.

Wait... do we only choose one book or can we pick a certain number?

Wait... do we only choose one book or can we pick a certain number?

I opened it up to multiple choices just in case. Vote for as many as you want. We will do a tie breaker if we need to!

This sounds like lots of fun. Is it possible to erase my vote? I just realized that realistically, I'm not going to have time for this anytime soon. Have fun guys. <3

This sounds like lots of fun. Is it possible to erase my vote? I just realized that realistically, I'm not going to have time for this anytime soon. Have fun guys. <3

Done. Hope you can participate next time!

bump:m194:

Bumpity bump bump

I'm not voting yet since I'm not sure I'll be able to participate. But The Orphan's Tales sounds really interesting.

Hey Enty, would you mind posting a short passage from each book so that we get a feel of the author's writing styles? Thx

we are aware, we didnt want to detract from the series itself.

You see, the thing is, I've heard that New Spring is terrible. >.< So, in effect, by reading it, you actually MIGHT be detracting from the series.

Unless you mean that you just want to read the whole thing, which is fine I guess.

I can't promise participation, so I won't vote. I love Lord Foul's Bane however!

I'm not voting yet since I'm not sure I'll be able to participate. But The Orphan's Tales sounds really interesting.

Hey Enty, would you mind posting a short passage from each book so that we get a feel of the author's writing styles? Thx

Hmmm....I will see if I can find something...

Isn't Robert Jordan dead? Was the prequel completed after his death...? If so, a ghost writer might have completed the prequel

Exerpt from The Orphan's Tales

Volume I - Prelude

Once there was a child, whose face was like the new moon shining on cypress trees and the feathers of water-birds. She was a strange child, full of secrets. She would sit alone in the great Palace Gardens on winter nights, pressing her hands into the snow like crisp rice paper and watching it melt under her heat. She wore a crown of garlic-greens and wisteria, she drank from the silver fountains studded with lapis, she ate cold pears under the canopy of pines on rainy afternoons.
Now this child had a strange and wonderful birthmark, in that her eyelids and the flesh around her eyes was stained a deep indigo-black, like china pots filled with ink. It gave her the mysterious, taciturn look of an owl on ivory rafters, or a raccoon drinking from the swift-flowing river. It colored her eyes so that when she was grown she would never have to smoke her eyelashes with kohl.
For this mark she was feared, and from her earliest days, the girl was abandoned to wander the Gardens around the many-towered Palace. Her parents regarded her with trepidation and terror, wondering if her deformity reflected poorly on their virtue. The other nobles firmly believed she was a demon, sent to destroy the glittering court. Their children, who often roamed the Gardens like a flock of wild geese under the autumn moon, kept away from her, lest she curse them with her terrible powers. The Sultan could not decide, and all preferred that she simply remain silent and far away, so that none would have to confront the dilemma.

And so it went like this for many years, until thirteen summers like fat orange roses had sprung up and withered.
But one day another child came near to her, though not too near, pensive as a deer about to bolt into the shadows. His face was like a winter sun, his form like a river-reed. He stood before the girl in her tattered silk tunic and shabby cloak which had once been white, and touched her eyelids with his sweet-scented forefinger. She found, to her surprise, that she endured his touch, for she was lonely and ever full of sorrow.
"Are you really a spirit? A very wicked spirit? Why are your eyes dark like the lake before the dawn?" The pretty boy-child cocked his head to one side, an ibis in mid-stream. The girl said nothing.
"I am not afraid of you!" The boy stood his ground but his voice broke hoarsely. The girl continued to stare at him while the willow trees wavered in the east wind. When she spoke her voice was the low hum of cicadas in the far misted hills, buzzing over the water which showed a rippled reflection of the north star. "Why not?"
"I am very brave. One day I will be a great General and wear a scarlet cloak." At this there was almost a smile on the girl's pale lips.
"And you have come to slay the great girl-demon who haunts the Garden?" she whispered throatily.
"Oh, no, I..." The boy spread his hands, feeling suddenly that he had shown very bad form somewhere along the way.
"No one has spoken so many words to me since I saw the winter snows through a warm window draped in furs." The girl stared again, impossibly still. She seemed to leave the boy, though her body remained. All at once, a tiny light stole through her dusky eyes and she seemed to make a decision within herself. "Shall I tell you the truth, then? Tell you my secret? You of all the children who wear ruby rings and smell of olive soap?" Her voice had gone so quiet it was almost without breath.
"I asked, didn

Reactions: Gaze
The blade itself already has a link, and good omens is well known...I know the writing style is humorous. I will see about an excerpt. I am not sure if I can find one for the last book.

ETA: Found one!

[Chapter 1 of “Good omens” by Neil Gaiman and Teri Pratchett]

In the beginning
-------------------

It was a nice day.
All the days had been nice. There had been rather more than seven of them so far, and rain hadn't been invented yet. But clouds massing east of Eden suggested that the first thunderstorm was on its way, and it was going to be a big one.
The angel of the Eastern Gate put his wings over his head to shield himself from the first drops.
"I'm sorry," he said politely. "What was it you were saying?"
"I said, that one went down like a lead balloon," said the serpent.
"Oh. Yes," said the angel, whose name was Aziraphale.
"I think it was a bit of an overreaction, to be honest," said the serpent. "I mean, first offense and everything. I can't see what's so bad about knowing the difference between good and evil, anyway."
"It must be bad," reasoned Aziraphale, in the slightly concerned tones of one who can't see it either, and is worrying about it, "otherwise you wouldn't have been involved."
"They just said, Get up there and make some trouble," said the serpent, whose name was Crawly, although he was thinking of changing it now. Crawly, he'd decided, was not hint.
"Yes, but you're a demon. I'm not sure if it's actually possible for you to do good," said Aziraphale.
"It's down to your basic, you know, nature. Nothing personal, you understand."
"You've got to admit it's a bit of a pantomime, though," said Crawly. "I mean, pointing out the Tree and saying 'Don't Touch' in big letters. Not very subtle, is it? I mean, why not put it on top of a high mountain or a long way off? Makes you wonder what He's really planning."
"Best not to speculate, really," said Aziraphale. "You can't second-guess ineffability, I always say. There's Right, and there's Wrong. If you do Wrong when you're told to do Right, you deserve to be punished. Er."
They sat in embarrassed silence, watching the raindrops bruise the first flowers.
Eventually Crawly said, "Didn't you have a flaming sword?"
"Er," said the angel. A guilty expression passed across his face, and then came back and camped there.
"You did, didn't you?" said Crawly. "It flamed like anything."
"Er, well-"
"It looked very impressive, I thought."
"Yes, but, well-"
"Lost it, have you?"
"Oh no! No, not exactly lost, more-"
"Well?"
Aziraphale looked wretched. "If you must know," he said, a trifle testily, "I gave it away."
Crawly stared up at him.
"Well, I had to," said the angel, rubbing his hands distractedly. "They looked so cold, poor things, and she's expecting already, and what with the vicious animals out there and the storm coming up I thought, well, where's the harm, so I just said, look, if you come back there's going to be an almighty row, but you might be needing this sword, so here it is, don't bother to thank me, just do everyone a big favor and don't let the sun go down on you here."
He gave Crawly a worried grin.
"That was the best course, wasn't it?"
"I'm not sure it's actually possible for you to do evil," said Crawly sarcastically. Aziraphale didn't notice the tone.
"Oh, I do hope so," he said. "I really do hope so. It's been worrying me all afternoon."
They watched the rain for a while.
"Funny thing is," said Crawly, "I keep wondering whether the apple thing wasn't the right thing to do, as well. A demon can get into real trouble, doing the right thing." He nudged the angel. "Funny if we both got it wrong, eh? Funny if I did the good thing and you did the bad one, eh?"
"Not really," said Aziraphale.
Crawly looked at the rain.
"No," he said, sobering up. "I suppose not."
Slate-black curtains tumbled over Eden. Thunder growled among the hills. The animals, freshly named, cowered from the storm.
Far away, in the dripping woods, something bright and fiery flickered among the trees.

It was going to be a dark and stormy night.

Last edited:
[opinion] I don't mind Pratchett; I think he's hilarious, but Gaiman is absolutely horrendous as a standalone author. He should stick to graphic novels. [/opinion]

Bump! VOTE! I think I will close this poll on the first so we can get started...So get votin!