Being bilingual a good brain work-out . . . | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Being bilingual a good brain work-out . . .

Reactions: Gaze
I think it depends on how different the dialect is...

Swiss German is definitely a language apart from German, especially if Germans need to take classes to understand it if they move to Switzerland.

I can agree with everything this article says. I think that also, languages teach us to be more tolerant of other cultures and viewpoints. I know many people who are severely anti-immigration, who do not think we should provide any multi-lingual services for struggling immigrants. none of these people have ever bothered to learn another language, and thus, cannot appreciate how difficult learning english is.

Reactions: Gaze
This is great. I just hate the idea of dementia and that kind of cognitive decline. Hopefully, by the time I'm that old they find a way to eliminate dementia completely not only postpone it.

Well, that's how some of us speak among ourselves, especially among friends and family. It's certainly not how we learn to speak at school, though. ;)

Many of us (at least those who pursue a higher education) are either able to switch between the familiar register I was referring to and an academic or higher register, or they usually maintain a higher register in their normal speech activities.

Agapooka

yay! \o/

two, well, almost three, well, ALMOST four... >_>;;;;; gah, dammit.