Being bilingual a good brain work-out . . . | INFJ Forum

Being bilingual a good brain work-out . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Being bilingual a good brain work-out, experts say

Fri, Feb 18, 2011

Speaking more than one language protects the brain against cognitive decline and makes a person better at multi-tasking, researchers said Friday at a major US science conference.

Being bilingual, or even learning a second language late in life, has been shown to slow the decline of some key brain functions, said Ellen Bialystok of York University in Canada, at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).

A study co-authored by Bialystok found that people who spoke more than one language were diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease 4.3 years later and reported the onset of symptoms 5.1 years later than monolingual patients.

Another study, the results of which have not yet been published, used computed tomography, or CT, scans to show that bilinguals had the same level of cognitive decline as monolinguals even when the people who spoke multiple languages were at a more advanced stage of Alzheimer's, Bialystok said.

"One of the reasons bilingualism has these powerful mechanisms including protecting against early symptoms of dementia is because it's one way to keep your brain active," Bialystok told reporters at the meeting.

"Every little bit helps. The longer you've been bilingual, the more you use all your languages, the more fluent you are, all of those things contribute.

"Even if you're starting to learn a language at 40, 50, or 60, you're unlikely to become bilingual, but you are keeping your brain active. So you're contributing to cognitive reserve through very engaging and intense activity," she said.

Cognitive reserve has been defined by Yaakov Stern of Columbia University's Department of Neurology as the ability to recruit different brain networks to optimize brain performance.

"Bilingualism is a cognitively demanding condition that contributes to cognitive reserve in much the same way as do other stimulating intellectual and social activities," said the study co-authored by Bialystok and published in Neurology late last year.

Other studies have found that bilingual people are better than monolinguals at shutting out distractions and focusing on what's important, which makes them better at multi-tasking, Amy Weinberg of the University of Maryland said at the conference.

"Getting to some level of proficiency in a second language certainly makes you an expert multi-tasker," Weinberg, a professor of linguistics, told AFP.

"When you're speaking, all the languages you speak are turned on, and you have to activate a mechanism in the brain that allows you to limit interference from one language when talking in the other," she said.
"You're juggling all kinds of mental balls as a bilingual," she said.

This mental juggling act is what makes people who speak more than one language more adept at managing several tasks at once, agreed Judith Kroll, director of the center for language studies at Penn State University.
"The bilingual is somehow able to negotiate between the competition of the languages, and the speculation is that these cognitive skills come from this juggling of languages," she said.

But an ability to speak English, Chinese, Russian and Creole, for example, does not make a person more intelligent.

"Bilinguals simply acquire specific types of expertise that help them attend to critical tasks and ignore irrelevant information," said Kroll.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/afp/scienceuslanguagealzheimers

Reactions: Galileo
[MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION]. Patwa! Am I bilingual or am I dreaming?

@Res. Patwa! Am I bilingual or am I dreaming?

Good question. I think most linguistics don't consider dialects a second language but I think they should. :D [MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION]

mi seh, nubady nuh no seh it tek mur dan bruk inglish fi talk patwa . . . :D *as you can see, my patwa sucks*

Interesting and seems very reasonable. Now...Just need to pick what launguage(s) I wish to learn...xD

Good. I shall proceed with my plans to learn a fifth, sixth and seventh language.

Reactions: Gaze
Yay ^^

Does being Trilingual count as being cool lol?

Good question. I think most linguistics don't consider dialects a second language but I think they should. :D [MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION]

mi seh, nubady nuh no seh it tek mur dan bruk inglish fi talk patwa . . . :D *as you can see, my patwa sucks*

Well mi dere mi nuh know if nobady neva tell yuh but dem seh dem a translate di bible in a patwa so di hole a di country smaddy dem can undastan a wha deh eena i. di bright people dem up a UWI sey a langwij, sey i hav i owna gramma... mi nuh really know a wha it be. All mi know seh when mi chat di patwa everybady bruk out inna laff sey mi talk it wid twang. So you betta dan mi becaw mi neva live a foreign so mi nuh hav nuh excuse. Mi a tap before one a di mod dem tell wi sey wi a bruk di rule dem.

Excuse us for that brief interruption.

Well mi dere mi nuh know if nobady neva tell yuh but dem seh dem a translate di bible in a patwa so di hole a di country smaddy dem can undastan a wha deh eena i. di bright people dem up a UWI sey a langwij, sey i hav i owna gramma... mi nuh really know a wha it be. All mi know seh when mi chat di patwa everybady bruk out inna laff sey mi talk it wid twang. So you betta dan mi becaw mi neva live a foreign so mi nuh hav nuh excuse. Mi a tap before one a di mod dem tell wi sey wi a bruk di rule dem.

Excuse us for that brief interruption.

Omg, you put me to shame. That was awesome. :D [MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION].

Reactions: not sure
do kool kidz who tipe leik dys n 1337 5p34k1n t00 l4zy f0r 411 13tt3r5 count?

do kool kidz who tipe leik dys n 1337 5p34k1n t00 l4zy f0r 411 13tt3r5 count?

ooh, hmm . . . not sure. *ponders this*

Yay ^^

Does being Trilingual count as being cool lol?

What other languages do you know besides English? (Very impressive!)

What is this? Some kind of pidgin English? (please excuse my ignorance), really neat, though!

What is this? Some kind of pidgin English? (please excuse my ignorance), really neat, though!

It's Jamaican Patois. It doesn't really have a written form beyond what the academics have devised. I just spell the words the way they are pronounced.

Mo

Is this study *just* for *spoken* languages? What about ASL?

Reactions: jyrffw54
Is this study *just* for *spoken* languages? What about ASL?

@Curiosilla . . .

The article doesn't say but I found these quotes which describes the complexity of ASL as a language:

So, talking and forming words involves several more variables than hand-speak does involved including speech, lip movement, tongue movement, and the like, that are a more complicated process . . .
http://www.mysmarthands.com/Site/Baby_Sign_Language_Research_Paper.html

ASL Think Tank:
ASL is a natural language. If taught and acquired, a child will be able to learn another language, just like English speaking children will be able to learn another foreign language. Bilingual research shows that switching between two languages provides the child with lifelong cognitive flexibility and better memory capacity. These bilingual children are better at shifting attention between two things and ignoring distracters than children who speak only one language. This benefit continues throughout adulthood and even old age as well.
http://aslthinktank.com/questions-and-answers/

I know Twi (language of Ghana) and Spanish. I also know quite a bit of ASL