Baby the stars shine bright... | Page 14 | INFJ Forum

Baby the stars shine bright...

I'd say the perspective of a Base scientist on the Antarctic would be pretty unique point of view as a biography :). You could write about living there for the period, the lives of people there, the environment (as you did in your links on the fauna), etc. The photobook around letters is also an interesting addition to it.

Glad you like the video.

Hi Fluffball! I wrote up some details a year ago in my blog, Nightspore, but they are buried in the middle of all the other things. These are the links:

Nightspore

Nightspore

Nightspore

(I must go back to this and talk more about when I left South Georgia and travelled down the Antarctic Peninsular on one of our ships.)

I'm not sure if your questions are answered properly in these links but they give the context. Rather than divert this thread too much, if you want to follow up let's continue in Nightspore :)

John, I am sorry to get back to you just now about it, but I have just read some of the posts about the given period of your life. Thank you for the links and for sharing it in Nightspore. It's...well, it creates a strong desire to sit by a fire with you.

John, I am sorry to get back to you just now about it, but I have just read some of the posts about the given period of your life. Thank you for the links and for sharing it in Nightspore. It's...well, it creates a strong desire to sit by a fire with you.
That's ok Fluffy - a great thing about the forum is that we can look at things and respond if we want to in our own time.

I didn't say much about it in Nightspore but of course the Southern Hemisphere sky has it's own special flavour. It's weird having the sun tracking North instead of South, and the Moon is upside down, which looks really odd. There was no pollution there so the night sky is spectacular, though there were not many cloudless nights on South Georgia, which is a very stormy place, and the mountains hold a lot of cloud about them even when it's not particularly unsettled. You've got the Southern Cross, and the Magellanic Clouds which you can't see from the Northern Hemisphere. Seeing the full Moon rise over the mountains, making a spectacular moon river across the bay on a clear frosty night with everywhere covered in snow and lit up like the daytime - that was out of this world.

So, NASA just released a detailed orthographic map of the moon today.

Geology_LOLA_hshd_465mpp.png

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/orthographic-projections-unified-geologic-map-moon

https://moon.nasa.gov/

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-selects-blue-origin-dynetics-spacex-for-artemis-human-landers

SpaceX has been selected to be a part of Artemis Misson to land another crew on Moon and they have been testing their lunar module in extreme temperatures in Texas recently. (I think, it's from SpaceX's twitter)

Also, Melodysheep is epic today with this video about the moon. Enjoy. :blush:
Fascinating - I've not come across the Synestia hypothesis before, but it sounds very plausible (and wonderfully spectacular lol!).

Nice v
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-selects-blue-origin-dynetics-spacex-for-artemis-human-landers

SpaceX has been selected to be a part of Artemis Misson to land another crew on Moon and they have been testing their lunar module in extreme temperatures in Texas recently. (I think, it's from SpaceX's twitter)

Also, Melodysheep is epic today with this video about the moon. Enjoy. :blush:
Don't take this as an attack but I'm going to ICBM this clip. Nice production but all of these 10 minutes can be reduced to 10 seconds: Meteor crashed into Earth, Big Boom, Molten stuff, Meteor became Moon. Earth has big Crater.

Nice v

Don't take this as an attack but I'm going to ICBM this clip. Nice production but all of these 10 minutes can be reduced to 10 seconds: Meteor crashed into Earth, Big Boom, Molten stuff, Meteor became Moon. Earth has big Crater.

Why would I take it personally? I did not put my work and time into it, just found it, and even if I did...

(Although great that you put a disclaimer, would not need one, but it's considerate of one's feelings if there were any involved, so thanks I guess?)

If that's your preference/opinion that is completely understandable, he does take a long time sometimes to get it all going. I occasionally skip so much of his "story" videos, I got things to do, but to get general idea...

Fascinating - I've not come across the Synestia hypothesis before, but it sounds very plausible (and wonderfully spectacular lol!).

I did not either, found the video rather educational (I'm now equipped for directing my searches for information in that matter better), as I am more of an enthusiast and not that knowledgeable in such things. :)

Why would I take it personally? I did not put my work and time into it, just found it, and even if I did...

(Although great that you put a disclaimer, would not need one, but it's considerate of one's feelings if there were any involved, so thanks I guess?)

If that's your preference/opinion that is completely understandable, he does take a long time sometimes to get it all going. I occasionally skip so much of his "story" videos, I got things to do, but to get general idea...

Just giving the Te disclaimer here, lol. Internally I'm going "ok, why not just put this shit in a 10 second video and be done with it" but I acknowledge the production. So I'm like, cool.

Same with this oldie:

The science behind it is kind of bullshit, but the production is comfy. And I love the passion put into it.

Just giving the Te disclaimer here, lol. Internally I'm going "ok, why not just put this shit in a 10 second video and be done with it" but I acknowledge the production. So I'm like, cool.

Same with this oldie:

The science behind it is kind of bullshit, but the production is comfy. And I love the passion put into it.

Ok, but for future reference, you don't need to sugarcoat in fear for my fragile feely feels. I can take it, blast it away.

Oh, yes I've seen this video. And by seen I mean, I've seen like a half of it, skipped parts. :grin: Nice experiment though, if you've got the time.

Ok, but for future reference, you don't need to sugarcoat in fear for my fragile feely feels. I can take it, blast it away.

Oh, yes I've seen this video. And by seen I mean, I've seen like a half of it, skipped parts. :grin: Nice experiment though, if you've got the time.

Then you've missed the realiTe check, there.

It's about representation, not on whatever bullshit coating that goes along with it. (there's the harsh part)

I'm often on the same page as you with excessively padded documentaries - particularly the ones that are structures round 5 minutes of adverts every 8 minutes of program, and restate everything for 4 minutes at each recommencement .... while orbiting the camera round some Great Man's nostrils as he stares at the sky enraptured by his own brilliance lol.

But - I found the Synestia video only pushed that button for me a little. I found the way they did it aesthetically pleasing, particularly the way they built up to the idea slowly. The fact that they were presenting something I'd not heard about before made a big difference - the slow pace and simulation graphics gave me time to process the concept while the presentation was unfolding.

I'm often on the same page as you with excessively padded documentaries - particularly the ones that are structures round 5 minutes of adverts every 8 minutes of program, and restate everything for 4 minutes at each recommencement .... while orbiting the camera round some Great Man's nostrils as he stares at the sky enraptured by his own brilliance lol.

But - I found the Synestia video only pushed that button for me a little. I found the way they did it aesthetically pleasing, particularly the way they built up to the idea slowly. The fact that they were presenting something I'd not heard about before made a big difference - the slow pace and simulation graphics gave me time to process the concept while the presentation was unfolding.
You are. absolutely correct.

giphy.gif

Then you've missed the realiTe check, there.

It's about representation, not on whatever bullshit coating that goes along with it. (there's the harsh part)

That went with that, but since I am not of that many words about excessively overblown narratives (if that's what we're talking about)...John covered for that.

no Fluff, give your opinion..give whatever you like, repeating the same old basic phrases is boring

Well, my brain is set in routine and stereotype (buildup to as to why). So I don't dislike this grand documentary-type things or their overly cinematic styles (or most of them) because they make me realise the scale of things and reconnect me with eh...living? Though I generally (read nearly 98%) times got almost no time to watch any of them, or at normal speed that is (2x is life), hence running briefly through the majority of the grand prolongations elaborated repeated revelations and such. Although I agree that if I ever got the time to watch any of them properly (Cosmos, or anything) I would get almost certainly annoyed by the style. (If that is the relevant answers to any of that, if not, be exact and call me up on my bs). Thx.

Well, my brain is set in routine and stereotype (buildup to as to why). So I don't dislike this grand documentary-type things or their overly cinematic styles (or most of them) because they make me realise the scale of things and reconnect me with eh...living? Though I generally (read nearly 98%) times got almost no time to watch any of them, or at normal speed that is (2x is life), hence running briefly through the majority of the grand prolongations elaborated repeated revelations and such. Although I agree that if I ever got the time to watch any of them properly (Cosmos, or anything) I would get almost certainly annoyed by the style. (If that is the relevant answers to any of that, if not, be exact and call me up on my bs). Thx.

Hmm ok, I'll try to find a cropped version of the origin of our planet. I do recall having seen a 10 minute version or something before. And there are longer documentaries that are worth watching, just gotta split it up into an hour a day/week ;) But fair enough, I get your point.

This is quite compact. The factual information could be put into a few lines of an ephemeris of course and read through in 15 seconds, but that would not carry the astronomical romance that the video provides. There’s certainly no unnecessary repetition here, and the pace is determined by the time it takes to watch through each of the visual effects. I’m not clear to what extent the images represent simulations of the reality or just imaginary representations, and I’d prefer to know that - but I may have missed some clarification. Certainly if I was into comet spotting I’d have my interest whetted by this

Hmm ok, I'll try to find a cropped version of the origin of our planet. I do recall having seen a 10 minute version or something before. And there are longer documentaries that are worth watching, just gotta split it up into an hour a day/week ;) But fair enough, I get your point.
Ok, great. I would appreciate that actually, so thank you. I know, time managing is key, working on that.