AWESOMTASTIC!!! I got the news before the SMH for once | INFJ Forum

AWESOMTASTIC!!! I got the news before the SMH for once

S

Shai Gar

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ke...8/11/27/1227491736623.html?sssdmh=dm16.348154

AN AUSTRALIAN commando has been killed by a roadside bomb while conducting a night-time operation on foot in Afghanistan.

The Vice-Chief of the Defence Force, David Hurley, said the soldier died early yesterday in the southern province of Oruzgan, where most of Australia's 1000-plus troops are based. Two other soldiers were wounded.

Lieutenant General Hurley refused to provide any personal details about the soldier, who is the seventh to die during the seven-year-conflict. Six of the soldiers have died in the past 14 months as Australian troops have taken on increasingly dangerous roles against a resurgent Taliban.

The Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, expressed sorrow at the death and praised the Australian troops for performing "important work" in Afghanistan.

"Our deepest sympathies are with this young man's family, his friends and his colleagues," he said. "Our troops in Afghanistan are engaged in dangerous work, they are engaged in important work and they perform their role with distinction, with bravery and professionalism."

Lieutenant General Hurley would not say where the soldier died, saying the operation was ongoing.

He said personal details would be released once the family had consented. The soldier was a member of the Sydney-based 4th battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (Commando). The wounded soldiers have returned to duty.

I found out about that last night, about 30 minutes after the event. Two hours later, Dad called home and I found out again :D

That's not so awesome. :mmph:

Yeah, I'm happy you're happy but it's not something to be happy about :mmph:

We're at war. They knew the consequence of signing up to an army that was in active war. They went to the most dangerous spot on earth instead of resigning. They knew the risks, they didn't quit. Fuck em.

still... Highest Level Risk, and only 1 death every year? Not bad.

We're at war. They knew the consequence of signing up to an army that was in active war. They went to the most dangerous spot on earth instead of resigning. They knew the risks, they didn't quit. Fuck em.

still... Highest Level Risk, and only 1 death every year? Not bad.

Yes, all soldiers must know and accept the possible consequences when enlisting, death in a combat zone being one of them, the reality that discharging means you can still be called to active duty three years after the fact is another. Making light of a death doesn’t offend me but it’s not cool.

dishonorable discharge means you can't be called to active duty. and in australia there are too many soldiers WANTING to get deployed that they wouldn't deploy a discharged member

The slippery little suckers refuse to fall in line for drill practice.

we ought to be able to throw new zealanders into the line of fire as our army. people would stop fighting us if they heard we were going to drop maoris on them...

*starts getting imperialistic ideas*

You are a sad, sad story Shai Gar.

Last edited:
*type something*
*delete it, because it wouldn't matter*
*sigh disappointedly*

:(

*type something*
*delete it, because it wouldn't matter*
*sigh disappointedly*

:(

Hatred is passed from parents to children.

It is a gross, distorted and ugly use of human capabilities.

I keep wondering if it's a simple case of him being young, and not having had personal experience in some of the things he mocks or brandishes seemingly without conscience, and therefore (since we know and he knows he's got a problem with that Brain/Mouth thing) his (formidable but not necessarily subtle) imagination doesn't engage.

Much of the personal experience I'm thinking of, I wouldn't wish on anyone.

But some of us have to see things with our own eyes and be stabbed directly in our own hearts before we feel things. I have to believe Shai is one of those people.

[youtube]4z9f9Eybv4I[/youtube]

Right. But sometimes how we present something alters how it is perceived. It's it's all about presentation.

In this case it appeared that you were disregarding something a lot of people perceived as a tragedy, and we overlooked the fact that you were really just stroking your own radar. You helped this misdirection by pasting the whole news story. They focused on on the news story, and you dismissed it callously. So the focus turned to you. At least that's how it looked to me.

A Brain/Mouth/Fingers filter helps with that.

heard of those, a female ENTP i've been chatting with (38) says that, eventually, it should develop

Mine took years and years to develop. There are a lot of reasons for filtering (i.e. it's not just about being "polite" or "socially acceptable").

It can really come down to self-preservation for some people.

In my case, I needed one as a shield against being too open, too vulnerable.

Right. But sometimes how we present something alters how it is perceived. It's it's all about presentation... A Brain/Mouth/Fingers filter helps with that.

I always loved that song, btw.

One of the advantages of this form is that we have an ability to think before we type and/or edit if we believe our comments are inappropriate. That said, I also see how I regarded this thread upfront, how it was interpreted and/or misinterpreted. If I didn't see this attitude before, none of these comments would be taking place and I'm sure there would be ample opportunities elsewhere regarding the same carelessness and utter disregard of human life. The truth always gets revealed.

As a Mother, and I'm sure Zen would feel similar, my natural inclination is to protect our young, support the weak, work through defenses, build strength, confidence, health and a sense of love, forgiveness and understanding. I know that not everyone here has that at home. However, I also believe that accountability of a young adult necessitates maturity. If I am to treat someone like the adult they want to be, then they need to be accountable for their behavior in return.

I've never really needed one; I just tend to cut people off if they cannot handle "The Shai". Which leaves me surrounded by INTJs, ENTPs, and ENTJs. That's not really the healthiest environment for my brain/mouth/fingers filter to develop in since we feed off each others tendency towards what society calls "Evil Conversation" and just keep getting worse.

Unfortunately it IS something I need to develop since I'm going towards politics. Okay. So I guess I'll try and censor myself a lot more around here as practice for politics.