Ask a Buddhist | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Ask a Buddhist

I could continue answering questions (if there are any) regarding this subject and continue this thread.

I am quite well knowledged about the subject (especially on the therapeutic/basic aspects of it) and has been practicing the therapeutic aspects of it for quite some time (on and off) now.

Last edited:
Is enlightenment seen as a kind of perfection of the person?

Good question to begin with.

The simplest and probably the best answer to what Nirvana is - Eradication of Tanha (cravings).

When one says eradication of Tanha it is done not by suppression of desires (and thoughts) it is by watching it without reacting to it.

Suppression - Samadhi Meditation (pre-dates Buddhism)
sustained voluntary attention - Vipassana (Discovered by Buddha).

If so, is the perfection of the intellect (wisdom) sought; or the perfection of the will (happiness) sought.....?

Hmmmmm...

The result of Nirvana is perfection of will but the process of achieving nirvana is perfection of intellect. (Right View).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stu
is there anything similar to the MBTI in Buddhism?

is there anything similar to the MBTI in Buddhism?

Yes and no. Western Buddhism has incorporated a lot of modern Psychology with it. In that sense, you could always find a teacher who knows, understands and can identify with MBTI and uses that in their teaching/practice. Traditionally, however, there aren't labels like that. In fact, labeling yourself as anything (even the idea of a "soul") in Buddhism shows a form of attachment and attachment leads to suffering...

Whoa there, Pardner! If we had no attachment, would we not also have no empathy, and therefore be devoid of compassion, ...of love? Or is that merely "attachment" as well?

Whoa there, Pardner! If we had no attachment, would we not also have no empathy, and therefore be devoid of compassion, ...of love? Or is that merely "attachment" as well?

No.... it's quite the opposite.

The less you cling (attach) to a person - a thing - an idea or belief - the more you allow life to be as it is. Once you can learn to do this - then forgiveness can take place and compassion grows.

Do not confuse the word attachment to mean unconditional love.

Enlightenment is the connecting with ones own Buddha Nature which resides in all people and is ones true mental state of awareness, Buddha means "awakened one" or "awakened".
So you could translate as something approximating "awakened human being". Hope this helps, it is difficult to explain Buddhism, impossible to explain the Zen Tao, as these states of consciousness must always be experienced to be fully understood and appreciated, where trying to explain these states kills off the very Zen moment.

No.... it's quite the opposite.

The less you cling (attach) to a person - a thing - an idea or belief - the more you allow life to be as it is. Once you can learn to do this - then forgiveness can take place and compassion grows.

Do not confuse the word attachment to mean unconditional love.

Yes, or to put it a different way, it's not letting things run you.

Attachment also refers to dualism. That you're somehow separate from the world, as some kind of personal island, since attachment requires at least two things - you and the thing you attach to.

So in a way, non-attachment does not mean separation, but unification. Think of a limb - people say it is attached, but it is not really - it is unified to one body. It's not glued on, the cells and tissues and blood are all one continuous stream, and therefore it works together because it doesn't consider itself to be apart from the body.

Reactions: Kgal
does calling yourself a buddhist not contradict the doctrines of buddhism?

If it's calling delusional self that, maybe.

If one realizes that self is an illusion but only uses the term as a convenience, then probably not, since one does not need to reifiy the no-self concept by explicitly denying self at every turn - that would miss the point.

i personally do not call myself a Buddhist. But you know how everyone in the Western countries are.....they always want to label stuff/people and put them in a box.

When I'm asked - I say I practice the Buddha's teachings - specifically the Four Noble Truths and the Eight Fold Path.

It makes it easier for others to understand. If I were to actually try explaining, it would come out as a bunch of stutters, stammers and fragments. People around me seem to like to have a nice label they can put on things, so I oblige.

Are you in peace with thyself friend?