Art and psychology | INFJ Forum

Art and psychology

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How would you describe the connection between art and psychology?

No, I would not say that one explains other, I would say that art and psychology are two ways of person's understanding of identity, life or etc.
Personally, I use psychology as tool for analyzing, and my writing as a tool of relief...they can interacte, ofcourse.
They are just two points from wich we can observe life...

Psychology is the art of deciphering the many mysteries of the mind.

Art ignites the senses, the senses ignites the brain. Psychology studies the brain.

Art is expression and psychology is the study of that which is being expressed and the reasons/details of its expression.

ETA

I think the connections are many. Art can be about expression, about creation, about casting oneself, about touching for the personal/the intimate/the woven or intricately woven. It is about being and becoming. It can be about transferance and transformation, about engagement, about catharsis... The connection between any of these and psychology is that psychology encapsulates these. It is the study of being, and art is very much the experience of being - whether that's its expression, understanding, or the search for.

I think art is the expressed essence of being.

In a sense, it is coming to terms with one's being. Psychology also does this but in different ways.

Last edited:
Art is beauty. People who dont appreciate beauty are crazy. People who make ugly art are also crazy. Crazy people are in need of better psychology. The end.

You have to know your own soul by psychology, to express yourself via art, and/or art is another type of psychology; a method on looking on your own soul. But I think it's a looping cycle; one knows their soul by expressing themselves which then (whether they realized it or not) is expressed in psychology which then applied into their own art which then expanding their knowledge about themselves.

Art is human expression. Human expression is rooted in the psyche. Psychology is the study of the psyche.

Art is an outlet for expression. How we express ourselves defines who we are, our current state, and emotional responses. Psychology is the study of human behavior and cognition, therefore analyzing what causes inside of us to make the art.

last time i visited the SF MOMA i was disappointed
except for this one sculpture made out of toothpicks...
there was nothing which really spoke to me in there

people put art on a pedestal without questioning it first
art as a fashion statement holds no appeal for me

if art can inspire me to think about something in a new way, i'm interested
if art can make me smile or laugh or feel something, that's great

most of the time, i just dont feel a real connection
i cant appreciate something just because it's some dudes 'expression'

i'd sooner appreciate a jar of phlegm

(not a bad idea)

seriously...
there is a ton of art out there that's all about hype

i look for content, something that means something