Are you a productive person? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Are you a productive person?

I think I am productive sometimes, but I tend to feel like I'm not. For instance, yesterday I read and reviewed three chapters for some people, sewed the main part of a dress (it's an easy dress though; imagine a really long t-shirt), washed a freak'n lot of dishes, and still managed to spend time browsing these and other forums. Other days I zone out completely and absolutely nothing happens.

I can be, it depends on my state of mind. i usually work better with a deadline though, otherwise other things tend to take my attention away

Deadline's approaching. And here I am on here...

I have my moments...but what of the other 23 hours, 58 minutes in a day?

On Dexedrine, I’m a machine. OK, not really. It just feels like it contrasted with my usual daydreaming self.

And yeah, that pesky dysthymia really crushes my groove.

I do have these moments where I surprise myself and other people seem surprised too...at work.

And there are these stretches of time where I am working double-overtime on deciding if I am to be slothlike or sluglike.

OK, the answer is no, and yes, I am embarrassed for it being so.

Cheers,
Ian

My productivity comes and goes in spurts, but if having 3 books and several articles under my name by age 33 can be considered productive than I guess I am. :)

If I could choose my work and it would align more to my personal interests than a those of company, my productivity would rise by 300%.

:m102: or :m082:, that is the question.

When I feel motivated, and fairly confident that I'll be able to complete my task or project. Otherwise, not as much as I'd like.

Yea, in my own way.

No. God no. I am not productive at all. I took a Big 5 test out of curiosity so I can give you a fairly precise answer: it determined that I am at the 1st percentile for the trait "industriousness".
Now, I do not take those results as an accurate representation of how I am...many of the questions that I find in tests in general are based on wrong presuppositions...and I also tend to underrate what I accomplish, so I would treat those results carefully.
However, it is still true that I couldn't describe myself as being "industrious".
I am proud of that. Being productive is overrated. Not only that, I think being productive is harmful. Too much productiveness is something that has a crucial part in making our society unbearable, our planet full of garbage, our minds full of crap. Especially because we are productive without having discernment. Isn't it funny that we have to learn how to not do anything? Many seem to be unable to just sit.
And despite our reality is mostly crammed(things, thoughts, words, whatever you name we have an excess of it), we still feel guilty if we are not productive.
I do realise that sitting on one's ass all the time is not the best way to live, and I wouldn't advise that, but maybe we should rethink our approach to "productivity". Producing something of value takes time. But we seem to be mostly committed to an idea of production that mimics that of machines. This is ridiculous. We are not machines, we are human beings. We are alive and we go through cycles, which include inactivity. We are not supposed to produce, we are supposed to create. And the most part of creation happens in stillness.

These are some of my thoughts...I'd be curious to read about your ideas on "productiivity".

Honestly, I'm productive because deep-down I feel like a loser and it's really hard for me to shake that feeling.

Everyone feels like a loser. And pretty much everyone is. Some are just better at hiding it.

I'm most productive late at night, second wind style.
During the day I scare myself into working slowly, carefully, looking at all the angles and second guessing myself. At night all that goes in the trash and I work.

Mmm... mmm... ...hm no. That's not accurate.

Generally it is. People don't feel like losers all the time, but most people feel like losers some of the time.