Are you a moral person?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Kinda

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
I try to overcome my ego for the benefit of others often, and it's a way of life for me. So i would say moral is more or less at the top of my list, therefore i try to be a better person each time i am confronted with a moral challenge, and i do not always succeed. The more i practice though, the more i succeed.

Just as food for thought, morals and ethics somehow to some people trace back to the Bible. They have been under attack by some people that are against the scriptures. That said, I live by my own code of ethics. This code of ethics is based strongly on my readings and understanding shared with me over many years by quite a few knowledgeable people that have studied before me. Are they Bible based? I happen to believe in the two new laws of the Bible, namely: (1) love your neighbor as thyself. I had to first learn to love myself for me to truly understand this. That did not come overnight, in a vision, or in a dream. The second is (2) to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, and mind. I believe all the laws, the Prophets, and the scriptures are pretty much summed up into these laws of HOW TO LIVE, not based on laws telling me the things NOT TO DO. My morals I have learned basically just watching the things that do not and have not worked, listening to myself when told to stay clear, and having tried to be holy long time ago...................................Like most everyone else, I fall short. I am human, but I'm almost there.

Perhaps the Golden Rule is not something to aspire to, but a statement of fact.
You WILL treat others how you treat yourself...so to love yourself is the first step.

What we know about projection and the unconscious seems to fit with this.

It was the above post by [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] that just made me think that.

Reactions: just me
whose morals are we gauging this by?
i don't think in terms of 'morality' for that reason.
i am a decent person, by any standards, that is what i believe. i am about love and learning. my motivations are driven primarily by these two things.
does that make me a moral person? probably not lol i still have my little indiscretions and biases that i am working on and will no doubt always will have to one degree or another.

I do what I believe is right at the time and that's all I need as looking back on an event will always bring up better possible outcomes that you didn't take or consider at the time.

I always strive to the right thing purely for the fact that I don't see any really benefit in doing what I know is wrong. I lead my life by example, like that Michael Jackson song says:

"If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself then make a change".

I have strong values and consider myself a moral person..Whatever I do is always with good intentions.

But then again...20% of the time I throw it all out the window lol

Can someone really be considered a moral person 100% of the time??? --No.
We're human..we judge..we indulge..but does that 20% fundamentally make me a bad person?--No.

I try to be, depends how morally concerning the situation is, anyone who doesnt a least try is a strain on soceity.

Perhaps the Golden Rule is not something to aspire to, but a statement of fact.
You WILL treat others how you treat yourself...so to love yourself is the first step.

What we know about projection and the unconscious seems to fit with this.

It was the above post by [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] that just made me think that.

Yes. I believe in a karmic-like morality.

Maybe that's why it's easier for me to follow, because it isn't just somebody saying not to do something just because they said not to.

It's based on cause and effect. Like being in a pond, everything you do causes ripples and waves which ultimately effects the whole pond. So I try to be what I want the world to be like. Rather than being a victim of it.

Depends on who you talk to. I try to do what I believe to be the right thing but that is often completely wrong so judging off the results, most likely not.

Hello to everyone!

I thought you guys for being INTJ's you were going to be moralistic, but apparently not, perhaps they are some but they don´t accept it ... I dont know

What i do know, is that I was very moralistic a few years ago, not so much now, and this has meant something very good, not only for me but for those around me.

As a Catholic, I agree when you say that the most important thing is not strictly follow a set of rules, but love yourself so you can love (or do well) to others.

Reactions: just me
I try to be, I think I do a very good job at it but I do slip up occasionally.

I think most people see themselves as good people and it's pretty easy to do that when you're never put in a situation where you have to make a tough call... I don't think it makes me particularly moral if I don't seek out situations where I need to be strong or where my morality is truly being called into question.

I could probably be trusted to turn in someone's wallet without taking any money from it, but I have also downloaded things illegally. I would never kill an animal that wasn't in extreme pain and on the way out, but I actively and cruelly kill mosquitoes and flies, and delight in their deaths.

Also, like most people I'm complicit in the destruction of the environment, overpopulation, capitalism, etc... so to be honest, taking everything into account, I'm going to have to say I'm probably not as good as I should be, but I'm better than the worst. This shouldn't be a source of pride, but people like being better than others and ignoring or rationalizing why they're not like people (or animals) who are better than they are, so I content myself with that fact.

whose morals are we gauging this by?

Bingo.

I consider myself moral by my own morals - which happen to be in line with most religions.

I don't steal
I don't drink alcohol nor caffeine
I don't smoke
I don't do drugs
I don't kill
I try my hardest not to hurt people, at least keeping it to people that have hurt me in the past or present
I believe that love is the only thing that can change or conquer hate and aggression
I don't have any other Gods than the ones religions are preaching, seeing as I don't have any Gods at all
I do unto others as I would have them do unto me
I don't lend people money with interest
I won't make money on other peoples behalves
I would never enforce my own morals or beliefs to others in society in form of laws or rules of conduct
I've never cheated on a girlfriend
etc. etc. etc.

I've never been happier than since I've started living by those rules.

Hello to everyone!

I thought you guys for being INTJ's you were going to be moralistic, but apparently not, perhaps they are some but they don´t accept it ... I dont know

What i do know, is that I was very moralistic a few years ago, not so much now, and this has meant something very good, not only for me but for those around me.

As a Catholic, I agree when you say that the most important thing is not strictly follow a set of rules, but love yourself so you can love (or do well) to others.

Whose moral rules do you think people should be following? The only moral I follow is, try to treat people the way I want to be treated. Why would you ever deviate from this?

What would you all consider the difference between Ethics and Morals?

I thought ethics was something broader and more general while morals were more specific and personal, or something.

not particularly, I have morals but fall so short of them so often I'd feel wrong to claim I am so moral person.

I strictly follow my own moral code but have no innate adherence to anyone else's. I had wondered if this was counter to type, as INFJ are said to be concerned with laws and morality.

Most would likely consider my morals to be loose or unconventional. I hold minority views on things like intellectual property, end user license agreements, restrictions on free travel, individual privacy, and government transparency.

But, I still hold strong views about not harming others or allowing others to come into harm through inaction and I interpret that rather broadly.

Last edited:
I don't know. I guess so.