Are video games becoming too real? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are video games becoming too real?

Try Dwarf Fortress if you want your imagination to go wild. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Insanely complicated though, and probably one of the most powerful games in existance regardless of graphics.

Haha, I've been playing that off and on... has inspired me to get back to designing my own builder game

BRING BACK 8-BIT GRAPHICS!

i dunno. i guess it allowed my imagination more free reign.

[MENTION=1855]christmas[/MENTION]: Have you heard of Cave Story? If not, look it up!

screen_9.gif
screen_4.gif
screen_3.gif

screen_6.gif

"Cave Story, or Doukutsu Monogatari, is a Japanese freeware PC side-scrolling platformer game developed by Studio Pixel . It has been translated into English by Aeon Genesis Translations and will have an official translation script published sometime in the near future. Cave Story is really one of those games that can be considered a masterpiece of game design. There are so many wonderful and classic gaming elements, that I cannot even begin to describe just one quality well enough to say

Reactions: christmas
Honestly my problem with video games has already been stated. It is not the violence that bugs me but the fact that they are all the same thing. Very few games come out now days that can hold my interest because all games now have gotten rid of the storylines, character plots and such for online play and just shooting games. Most people who buy the new Halo's and such do it not for the game itself and the storyline but to play online against each other.

Violence in video games has been questioned since the beginning and only someone who already has some kind of mental problems is going to act on that violence portrayed in games. Children might become desensitized by them but other than that, if a child is being raised right than the game is just going to remain a game.

This was already stated, but I get involved more in reading than video games. I feel the violence more, I feel the pain more, etc.. but that doesn't mean I am going to go out with a sword and start trying to slay dragons. Really I am just getting tired of games because none are really that good anymore. They are all just clones of each other doing the same thing but just fighting different looking things. A more realistic RPG or strategy game is what I would like.

Honestly my problem with video games has already been stated. It is not the violence that bugs me but the fact that they are all the same thing. Very few games come out now days that can hold my interest because all games now have gotten rid of the storylines, character plots and such for online play and just shooting games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_rain

Honestly my problem with video games has already been stated. It is not the violence that bugs me but the fact that they are all the same thing. Very few games come out now days that can hold my interest because all games now have gotten rid of the storylines, character plots and such for online play and just shooting games. Most people who buy the new Halo's and such do it not for the game itself and the storyline but to play online against each other.

Sorry but you're talking out of your arse here. There's far more story in the latest Call of Duty or any of the Halo games than there was in your average 90's shooter. Unless you're comparing RPGs to shooters. In which case they're still around and going strong.

I will agree though that a few recent storylines have fallen flat, such as Oblivion and Fable 2 & 3. They weren't exactly spreading thin for online play though.

Right, not to mention.. you know... RPGs which are essentially all storyline (looks forward to a few)

Right, not to mention.. you know... RPGs which are essentially all storyline (looks forward to a few)

That's actually an issue I have with RPGs at the moment, the storyline takes a back seat.

Compare the ending of Fable 2 (RPG) to the beginning of Black Ops (shooter):

Fable 2

You got through a bunch of non-interactive dialogue. Get shot. Wake up in some dream world. Go through a day in it. Wake up in the big bad guy's fortress. Go up the stairs into his room and shoot him. Everyone's happy, you get teleported out, game over.

Black Ops

You have to wait for the signal to attack a military base. Once the explosions start you move in, killing as many as possible. It's a pretty long time 'till you get to Castro who you need to shoot, but he uses a woman as a human shield. Shoot him, then shoot the girl because she shoots you. Then on your escape you hijack a plane. Something goes wrong so you jump out to solve it and sacrifice your life so the others can get free.

Now the beginning of Black Ops is far better than the ending of Fable 2. Why the hell is this?

I for one, dislike all gaming systems produced after Nintendo. And by nintendo I mean:

Sorry but you're talking out of your arse here. There's far more story in the latest Call of Duty or any of the Halo games than there was in your average 90's shooter. Unless you're comparing RPGs to shooters. In which case they're still around and going strong.

I will agree though that a few recent storylines have fallen flat, such as Oblivion and Fable 2 & 3. They weren't exactly spreading thin for online play though.

True the 90's shooters where no storyline but I am comparing recent shooters to early 2000's shooters. Halo 2 vs Halo. I beat Halo 2 in one night and the storyline was empty. The orgional Halo had a much deeper storyline. Agreed on Fable 2 & 3 though. Oblivion was a good game but again compared to Marrowind I think it drew short in the storyline. Yes the graphics and cut scenes where amazing but the overall storyline I think was just a little more shallow.

Maybe life is just becoming less real.

Try Dwarf Fortress if you want your imagination to go wild. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Couldn't quite get into it when I tried it a couple months ago. Then I stumbled across Elona. Insane, hard to get established, and very awesome!

@christmas: Have you heard of Cave Story?
Oh, heck yeah! Such an amazing game!!

I for one, dislike all gaming systems produced after Nintendo. And by nintendo I mean:

Eh, the NES has some great games, but IMHO the best of them are SNES games. Final Fantasy V and VI, Romancing Saga 3, Terranigma, Earthbound... *happy sigh*

That's actually an issue I have with RPGs at the moment, the storyline takes a back seat.

Compare the ending of Fable 2 (RPG) to the beginning of Black Ops (shooter):

Fable 2

You got through a bunch of non-interactive dialogue. Get shot. Wake up in some dream world. Go through a day in it. Wake up in the big bad guy's fortress. Go up the stairs into his room and shoot him. Everyone's happy, you get teleported out, game over.

Black Ops

You have to wait for the signal to attack a military base. Once the explosions start you move in, killing as many as possible. It's a pretty long time 'till you get to Castro who you need to shoot, but he uses a woman as a human shield. Shoot him, then shoot the girl because she shoots you. Then on your escape you hijack a plane. Something goes wrong so you jump out to solve it and sacrifice your life so the others can get free.

Now the beginning of Black Ops is far better than the ending of Fable 2. Why the hell is this?

Oh, that would be because investors in/owners of game making companies prioritize profit over content, and so have a tendency to play it safe by limiting ingenuity. That stuff is (actually) dangerous. It also deadens the gaming market and makes for a lot of eerily familiar content even between unrelated brands.

Funny thought came to mind, video games and real life both become so realistic one will not know when they are in the video game or actually living their life. So they might think they are doing something in the game but actually performing the act in real life.

Anddd talking about the topic, I personally have stopped playing games now, they were taking too much time out of my minds. And even if you go on the xbox you just get screamed at by 5 years olds and it brings you on the verge of verbally raping them. Oh well...Much better things to do then play games I say. :)

@christmas: how about 2-bit graphics? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_xdCHdSqg"]Like these?[/ame]

@christmas: Have you heard of Cave Story? If not, look it up!

@Sloe Djinn: Cave Story is great, might I also point you both to Iji? Depending on how you act, the antagonists will change how they behave. As will the protagonist. You can go through the entire game without killing anyone and it will be factored into the story. Depending on how a certain situation goes, your protagonist can mentally break down and start talking to herself.

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd mention that violent video games make people more violent. Scientists are smart people!
Link (Also, check out the related links for more info.)

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd mention that violent video games make people more violent. Scientists are smart people!

Now I want to know how they measure aggression.

Thus why making the distinction of games and reality are important. I play violent games but I pick them up and put them down like people do pick up basketball. all about mindset.