Are the Disadvantaged Entitled to Respect? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are the Disadvantaged Entitled to Respect?

In fact, I'd say treating someone with dignity *is* treating them equally.

Treating someone as an equal is not the same as being an equal, and it seems that many people have the misapprehension that equality means somehow we're all the same. Equality means we all have the same right to become. We cannot stop one another from becoming whatever we wish due to factors outside of our control. However, we can certainly stop ourselves through our own failures. Furthermore, we have the right to become deplorable people if we so choose. We should treat each other as equals, but none of us are equals. We've all become individuals due to our own efforts, and the respect and priviliges we earn are our own merits. If one person earns them, another person is not entitled to them. Dignity, should be given to everyone. Respect, must be earned, and if someone assumes they are inherently entitled to it then they deserve it even less.

Now, to point out... if someone achieves the same successes but had greater disadvantages, then they deserve more respect because they achieved more. But, if a disadvantaged person does nothing, then no, the don't deserve any respect, and niether does the silver spoon kid who does nothing. Respect is about what you do, not who you are.

Last edited:
Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity - which means ethically, fairly, kindly, and politely.

Respect - which means to be worthy of admiration, preferrence, and exemplary esteem - is earned. No one is entitled to it, but everyone is entitled to the right to earn it. Respect is not and should never be inherent, but the opportunity to become all that we can be should not be blocked, and this is why dignity is so important.

One of the quickest ways to lose my respect is to demand it.

Totally agree with you @VH, although I think there are some cases where people lose the privilege to be treated politely and kindly. Also, as people, treating everyone fairly is easier said than done. I like to think everyone tries to do this, but we're only human.

I try to live by a golden rule type system. If I treat others with kindness and politely, all I ask is that the same courtesy. If others throw my gestures in my face by treating me rudely, then I have no problem giving them the same courtesy.

ETA: jeez, I just realized I didn't even answer the original question. I don't think being disadvantaged automatically earns you more basic respect than others. What you do and how you live life should determine that.

Treating someone as an equal is not the same as being an equal, and it seems that many people have the misapprehension that equality means somehow we're all the same. Equality means we all have the same right to become. We cannot stop one another from becoming whatever we wish due to factors outside of our control. However, we can certainly stop ourselves through our own failures. Furthermore, we have the right to become deplorable people if we so choose. We should treat each other as equals, but none of us are equals. We've all become individuals due to our own efforts, and the respect and priviliges we earn are our own merits. If one person earns them, another person is not entitled to them. Dignity, should be given to everyone. Respect, must be earned, and if someone assumes they are inherently entitled to it then they deserve it even less.

Now, to point out... if someone achieves the same successes but had greater disadvantages, then they deserve more respect because they achieved more.

I agree with those points as well - and treating someone equally is not the same as treating them as your equal. It just means being fair to them without being their overlord.

I like what you said, about everyone being individuals as well.

Reactions: VH
I cannot subscribe to any ideology that requires me to give the same respect to one person who is polite and considerate and also to another person who is rude and selfish.

Well, rude and selfish isn't a race or creed. I disrespect people because they don't deserve it all the time but I think we should have respect for the disadvantaged just as much as the advantaged.

People disrespect poor people and people with mental handicaps and tell them that it's their fault they're poor. "Get a job"

Sarah Palin had an interview with that Gretta Van Sustren lady from fox yesterday and she said "man was made to work". That was her rational for telling poor people to get off their asses and work because evidently, they don't even try. Gee, I wonder how many single mothers there are out there that work 60+ hours a week who need that "handout" from the government so that they can pay rent or that their kids can have breakfast lunch and dinner. But no, we should cut taxes for the rich because the Koch brothers are the only ones that have worked a day in their blessed lives in this country.

This wasn't directed at anybody but I hate it when people are disrespectful by telling people they're lazy, don't give a damn or are looking for a handout when they know nothing of that person's situation.

Besides the respect that is due to people as persons, are the disadvantaged entitled to more/special respect?

Nope.

Should Respect be Earned?

Like the things you like. Dislike the things you dislike. Treat each accordingly.

I doubt anyone knows enough to evaluate effort and respect correctly (if that was at all measurable). It's very unique and incomparable, except perhaps for some extreme cases.

If you go through the history of technological discoveries, you will find a great deal of accidents: people doing something else, but stumbling upon what nobody could have purposefully gone for. Strictly, they don't deserve any respect for that, yet what they did benefits humanity for centuries.

Effort/respect requires that you set a goal in advance and follow it through. That paradigm in itself goes against progress, because meanwhile your goal may have become obsolete and pursuing it may have even meant standing in the way of newer developments.

Nope.

I dont think that present or past wrongs or oppression entitles anyone to anything at all.

I don't thing disadvantages by their nature entitle anyone respect, but one ability to overcome their disadvantages on the other hand another story. I don't think you can earn anything by not doing anything.